Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera S turbocharger (?) Issue need help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Warranty varies by the country. For example, in Finland it is only two years.
I tried to see if there was a general warranty for Europe since I didn't know his country. Honestly I would have guessed the standard warranty is Europe was better than what we see in the States. I seem to recall someone here talking about the warranty in their country being bonkers long. Can't remember which though.

Really shocked to see it can be as short as two years. Wow!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:44 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
In which case the overfilling of the oil far above the maximum level could very well be the cause of the problem afterwards.
Agreed.

OP, check the oil level reading from your multi-function display. I bet it is at the very top. You don't necessarily want that.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:53 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but you wrote:

“ I know that turbochargers can burn some oil so I actually did like 3-4 refills of about 300 to 400 ml of porsche recommended 0w40 synthetic oil...”

So you got a low oil message and you filled the oil up with up to 1,5 liter? After which the smoking issue started.
Is it just me or does a 1,5 liter refill seems way to much?
I re-filled it within a month not at once because I was getting messages that I should add oil.I was re-filling ONLY when I was getting a message that I need to add oil.
The electronic measurement never showed my oil being too high and after the refills it was around middle , so I guess it wasn't too much oil.
When I got the vehicle they told me I will need oil refill after 20k kilometers....
the smoking started because there was probably a leak of oil or else I wouldn't get any message to add oil or get white smoke on startup
I did a 1400 kms drive within Europe for a job and after that the problems started for not apparent reason... I NEVER pushed the car in that trip.
besides that I was just driving it for small routes in city or highway.
I just did around 3-4 thousand kms :/
So I guess there was a leakage from turbo because it's not normal to get messages every 150-200kms...
Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Agreed.

OP, check the oil level reading from your multi-function display. I bet it is at the very top. You don't necessarily want that.
whenever I was re filling , I always then checked the oil level.
it never was more than middle and then after I was doing 150 to 200 kms I was getting messages that the oil is low and needed again to refill.
I was also getting sometimes white smoke...
after this situation happened for like 3-4 times I understood that this wasn't normal at all..
Old 10-31-2018, 04:02 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Not just you. 500ml is likely all that was needed if the vehicle said minimum oil level had been reached.
I didn't put too much oil at once , i was refilling little by little each time I was getting messages.
for example I used 300ml once , another around 500ml , another around 200ml and so on and was always checking where the electronic measurement was getting so as not to refill.

Plus as far as I know there is a too much oil error message so even if by accident I'd put too much oil I guess I would get a warning message.
I dont even get a CEL
Old 10-31-2018, 04:03 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

I tried to see if there was a general warranty for Europe since I didn't know his country. Honestly I would have guessed the standard warranty is Europe was better than what we see in the States. I seem to recall someone here talking about the warranty in their country being bonkers long. Can't remember which though.

Really shocked to see it can be as short as two years. Wow!
the car is German and is covered by german porsche approved warranty 24 month program
I bought it through a German Porsche dealership
Old 10-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by shammerman
Warranty varies by the country. For example, in Finland it is only two years.

The car I got was 2nd hand 991.2 C2S , and they said even when the factory warranty ends I'd be ok because I did the porsche approved warranty which is like the factory one as far as in concerned.
so car is 100% under porsche approved program.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Weskers05
this is one video to show you exactly what I mean
it doesnt happen all the time but it happens like 1 every 3-4 start ups..
today for example it didn't happen , but it happened yesterday night
This is likely the drain line on one of the turbo sumps... Or at least that's my bet. They have a built in check valve that prevents oil from back feeding into the turbocharger after shutdown. If the valve goes bad, or some debris gets stuck in there, you will can have mysterious an inconsistent smoky startups. I have a couple of the passenger side drain lines here that we used for product testing. If you need a part number or if the dealer doesn't want to fix it I have one with zero miles I can let go for the cost of shipping. If that is in fact what's wrong

Last edited by VektorPerformance; 01-10-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't put too much oil at once , i was refilling little by little each time I was getting messages.
for example I used 300ml once , another around 500ml , another around 200ml and so on and was always checking where the electronic measurement was getting so as not to refill.

Plus as far as I know there is a too much oil error message so even if by accident I'd put too much oil I guess I would get a warning message.
I dont even get a CEL
Maybe the electronic measuring is/was incorrect/faulty. I have put on more than 6000 km on my new GTS and no oil fill message so far. Even in the increments you describe (I would not call them small) you probably still put in way more oil than needed. Did the message not indicate how much oil to add? I have driven a 993 turbo for 8 years and luckily you still could check the oil level yourself manually. On these modern engines I guess Porsche didn’t think that would be needed anymore. If these modern turbo engines are anything like the old ones you better keep the oil level on the low side rather than to high.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:33 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Maybe the electronic measuring is/was incorrect/faulty. I have put on more than 6000 km on my new GTS and no oil fill message so far. Even in the increments you describe (I would not call them small) you probably still put in way more oil than needed. Did the message not indicate how much oil to add? I have driven a 993 turbo for 8 years and luckily you still could check the oil level yourself manually. On these modern engines I guess Porsche didn’t think that would be needed anymore. If these modern turbo engines are anything like the old ones you better keep the oil level on the low side rather than to high.
According to the owner's manual the difference between the minimum mark and maximum mark is 1.4 quarts. If 1.2 to 1.6 liters was added over time I could see that resulting in overfilling.

Not saying that is the case here. Just that it is possible based on the numbers.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
This is likely the drain line on one of the turbo sumps... Or at least that's my bet. They have a built in check valve that prevents oil from back feeding into the turbocharger after shutdown. If the valve goes back, or some debris gets stuck in there, you will can have mysterious an inconsistent smoky startups. I have a couple of the passenger side drain lines here that we used for product testing. If you need a part number or if the dealer doesn't want to fix it I have one with zero miles I can let go for the cost of shipping. If that is in fact what's wrong
thank you for your offer if that's the case I'll be in touch with you.
but you said if the dealer doesnt want to fix ?
what do you mean by that ? They have to fix it since the car doesnt run properly
Old 10-31-2018, 05:53 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

According to the owner's manual the difference between the minimum mark and maximum mark is 1.4 quarts. If 1.2 to 1.6 liters was added over time I could see that resulting in overfilling.

Not saying that is the case here. Just that it is possible based on the numbers.
the ONLY way to check the oil level is through the electronic meter
whenever I was adding oil I was doing that ONLY after I was getting the message that I need to add oil.
the manual says it very clearly that you need to add oil ASAP when you get the minimum level
also whenever I was adding oil , I was always adding as much as needed so as the electronic meter would be around HALF full just to be safe.
BUT AFTER 150 or 200 kms I was STILL getting message that I needed to add oil
so after 3-4 refills and incidents with white smoke I just stopped driving it

I've heard cases where some people add like 1 litres of oil every 400 or so kms but they never get white smoke..
I think there is a leakage or that the turbocharger has a problem and it burns the oil because the right turbocharger as seen in pic , had oil in its external surface which the left one clearly didn't...

and even with possible overfill I guess I would get a warning message as the manual says and even if that wouldn't work in guess half or even 1 liter more oil would destroy a turbocharger with just 300-400 kms..

Ps http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nction-display

it's very very clear on what they propose in cases of minimum oil or maximum oil..
and just to be safe I NEVER put too much oil I was putting so much as the meter was just in half way not even top.
I remember clearly that the meter was telling me to add 1.3 liters but that seemed too huge amount and a bit risky so I was filling like 400ml or so just to get the meter in half to be safe

Last edited by Weskers05; 10-31-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

thank you for your offer if that's the case I'll be in touch with you.
but you said if the dealer doesnt want to fix ?
what do you mean by that ? They have to fix it since the car doesnt run properly
Please don't try to over think this issue. Just schedule a visit to your Porsche service department. They will fix it under warranty.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Please don't try to over think this issue. Just schedule a visit to your Porsche service department. They will fix it under warranty.
I don't think his car is under warranty any more (see above as terms are not always the same as in US). Either way, I would take it in to be fixed to take care of the issue or it possibly getting worse or causing harm.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

New Porsche’s in Europe come with 2 years factory warranty. After which you can extend the Porsche approved warranty with 12 or 24 months.

As I understand from topicstarter it is under Porsche approved warranty. So either the car is still under factory warranty or under extended Porsche approved warranty.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera S turbocharger (?) Issue need help..