Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T vs 718 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Congratulations OP! Looks like an awesome build. Did you need/want the rear seats or just didn't want the LWBs?

Can't wait to see photos. No doubt you will fall in love from the moment you take delivery. The T is a very intriguing spec and I'm sure you are beyond excited. Thank you for sharing your journey and looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the wait is over.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:28 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

thank you everyone for the recent posts! I agree, the 718 GTs is not a machine to knock. I genuinely enjoyed every moment behind the wheel. if I was looking to track it regularly, I would have gone that direction. it is a beast. And as a former STI and GTR owner, the sound did not bother me. In reality, the car will see the street 99% of the time (I have a dedicated track car). additionally, my wife will drive it as well. I am 6'0, 240 (former pac-12 defensive lineman) and my wife is 5'6. neither of us fit very well into the buckets. the 4 ways were the best compromise for our size discrepancy. super excited.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Congrats! I think you’ll love the T.
+1
Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 213 Posts

Congrats!
I agree with the OP. The 718GTS is a pretty amazing machine. It just feels so agile and light,
expressed my feelings in this thread after driving both on a track.

The Carrera T is better functioning car for me (occasional backseat use) along with being a great street driver, added bonus, I think it looks amazing.

Hoping I can still get a build, waiting another week, because a GT4 Touring seems to be announced as soon as next week. Will be curious to see what a GT4 is like on the 718 platform.

992 is too heavy for my taste, so need to decide soon, haha
Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
T all the way for me. Now if your talking 718 GT4 vs T then it becomes a tougher decision.
Considering few people have driven a 718 GT4....

My wife is lucky enough to own a LWB-equipped 981 GT4. The 991 Carrera T is nice (a friend has one) but it can't hold the GT4's jockstrap from an involvement level. The response of the GT4, along with the suspension, steering feel, transmission, and involvement, makes the Carrera T with S-PASM seem like a big guy wearing a cotton tracksuit that just got caught in a downpour. He is now soggy, wet, droopy, and heavy. I like the T, but the GT4 is pretty darn close to grabbing the "perfect enthusiast car" mantle. It really is the first P-car I have driven that feels exactly what, while growing up, I thought a 911 would drive like. I am not a hater, as I was lucky enough to take a very mountainous roadtrip in a manual 991.2 C2S with the sport package (it is a great car!), but certainly any 991.2 Carrera that I have driven is no GT4.

Would I buy a GT4 vs a Carrera 991.2 whatever: it depends on the need for back seats. To me personally, the GT4 is special. The 991.2 is versatile; a great performance car/GT car. The GT4 is a sportscar that is comfortable enough for trips and longer distances. If I could afford it, a GT4 would be my DD; so much fun!!! There is something about that car that makes 70mph feel like 110. The 991.2 is the opposite: 110 is just cruising and boring. Even though the GT4 is a fast car, it feels more like a slow car, as in the old adage "better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". It is involving at regular speeds in a way that the 991.2 is not. My wife put it best when she said "I feel like I am flying in this car, but when look down, I am only doing 72 in a 65. In the old 991 we had, I would be cruising at 95, thinking I was doing 75. The GT4 is so much more fun in every aspect".

Maybe it is the LWB seats.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:48 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

I ordered a 991.2 carrera T. Done and done. I'm also on my dealer's list for a 718 GT4. Deposit six mos ago. We will see what gets released, and if it's worth waiting/the premium over 981 GT4...
Old 12-30-2018, 04:42 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
I ordered a 991.2 carrera T. Done and done. I'm also on my dealer's list for a 718 GT4. Deposit six mos ago. We will see what gets released, and if it's worth waiting/the premium over 981 GT4...
Congratulations on your upcoming Carrera T. I am sure you will love it. I came to my Carrera T from a 718 Cayman GTS. The 718 is an excellent car and easy to drive in a sporty fashion. It handles so well and looks like a lil super car. The only issue I had as time went on was the sound from the engine. As I watched more videos (then drove the T), I fell for the T. I think it sounds great, with a very enjoyable engine note. Personally, the 718 engine note grew tiresome on longer trips, though on engine start it sounds very good. I don’t regret the change, even though I do miss the 718. I am still getting accustomed to driving the 911 in a relatively aggressive fashion, which was “effortless” in the 718. Maybe the stories of older 911s I hear about make me too cautious. But, so far I am loving it.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Oh wow. That sounds like fun!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

BA73, congrats. Great build and the T is awesome. You will be happy with this purchase.

Raidersfan, the GT4 is not special but it is a good car. It is a Cayman with a Carrera S engine with 385 hp and revs to 7800 rpm or only 400 rpm more than the T. The front suspension is from the GT3 which gives more adjustment options vs the T but unless you track, not that beneficial. The GT4 is also very softly sprung and the angle from the front suspension makes it very prone to understeer when pushed hard. Require mods for track duty. Then there is the transmission, stolen from Audi. It has very tall gearing, 84mph in 3rd gear so with low torque and hp, it is not that fast in normal driving or in town driving as you can’t get the hp needed in low rpm. There is also the 3rd gear failure. Since transmission came from Audi, Audi did not require it to weld the gearing and Porsche does. Porsche does not know serial number nor how many transmissions were not welded.
The GT4 is a good car but not special. The T is a good car and a great car for daily driving.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem

Raidersfan, the GT4 is not special but it is a good car.
...blah...blah...blah.
The GT4 is a good car but not special. The T is a good car and a great car for daily driving.
Wow...sounded like a lot of insecurity in that post. It was painful to read.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

No insecurity. Stating fact. I traded my 996 GT3 which has a better engine, transmission and set up than a GT 4. Drove the 6 for 6 years and tracked it for 12,000 miles, drove it 30k miles. That was an excellent car.
Just stating that the GT4 is not that special and it has flaws. It is a compromise Porsche made in order to have an entry price of 85k.

If you read the track diaries from the GT4 people, you see all the struggles with soft front and geometry changes under loading which resulted in understeer, the 3rd gear failures, and adding tune and dundon headers to reduce the deadspot in the middle rev band.

BA73 should be happy he made the right choice when picking the T and did not need to be stepped on by Raidersfan
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Having owned both, the Carrera T feels a lot more special than the GT4. YMMV but it's an easy pick for me. And a true no-brainer over a Cayman GTS.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I'd have to disagree on the looks.. Another knock for me is how the 718 looks feminine and boy racer at the same time. The rear looks like a chick wearing makeup.. Just my goofy brain.
Took the words out of my mouth, and there surely can’t be two people with goofy brains here, right lol. To me, every since I was a little kid, Porsche = 911. The body of the 911 is iconic, and I knew it would be my first Porsche. My wife said the 718 looks cute, that right there killed it for me and speaks about the perception from the opposite gender. Get the 911 T, the extra premium is worth it.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Just incase anyone subscrbed to this thread, I feel the need to provide an update. Ordered a Carrera T today. So stoked. Thank you for everyone's insight and opinions along the way, I genuinely apprecite all of the persepctives that were presented.
just saw this. Congrats and good move !
Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

March 11th build. Early May delivery. According to the SA and SM, it is the last build allocation in the U.S., and will be the final North American T to roll off the production line.
Congratulations BA73! It sounds like you went with your heart, so good for you.

I believe you’re right about March being the last month for 991.2 builds. I ordered a 991.2 in January and have a March build date. Yes, we’re lucky!

I also currently have a 981S, which I ordered to my specs around the time it was released, and I actually chose it over getting a 911 then, precisely because I wanted a midengine car. I still love driving it and it looks great and sounds great too (as compared to 718 IMO, which has a funny looking rear and the 4 cylinders just aren’t the same, though absolutely respect the performance). I haven’t decided whether I’m going to keep it or sell it, but leaning towards the former.

The reasons I decided to get a 991.2 are that I love the design and the combination of sports car and everyday usability. IMO, there is not a more beautiful car sold today. As for the drive, I find the 991.2 to be more comfortable and better suited for longer road trips than the Cayman. Actually rented a 991.2 on a trip and drove it from Phoenix to Tucson (no direct flight to Tucson). So for doing road trips with the Mrs., I decided to go with a highly optioned car with maximum creature comforts (sunroof in glass, Burmester, etc.). I ain’t going to set any track records let’s just say. But I know I’ll drive the heck out of it up twisties, on Highway 1, and elsewhere, and enjoy every minute of it. Happy Drives!

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T vs 718 Cayman GTS