911 Carrera T vs 718 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I test drove a Cayman GTS just a few weeks ago. I couldn't wait to get out of it. It was noisy like a broken washing machine. Don't take it the wrong way - I love exhaust and engine notes. This was just loud obnoxious noise to my ears. I loved my Cayman 981, and this 718 is not one of those. If you want a Cayman, go find a 981 GTS. That would be a keeper.

The 911 handling is much different and I love it more than my 981, but one day hope to have a 981 Cayman in addition to a 911.
Yeah, it's bad, but it's not only the engine. Porsche has active sound / soundaktor style speaker on the bulkhead playing fake reverb through the cabin. I'd love to hear a 718 without it.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 100 Posts

I am not opposed to a 981 GTS in any way - in my market, they are holding value extremely well. Just checked again, there are currently 3 within 500 miles of me, only one is CPO, with prices ranging from $77-$79k. That point of entry has made a new 718 GTS, optioned as I'd like, more appealing. Getting behind the wheel of one for a test drive will be difficult, but given the feedback seems like something I need to do. thanks again. it's truly appreciated. Y'all are much more helpful than other car communities I have associated with in the past!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, it's bad, but it's not only the engine. Porsche has active sound / soundaktor style speaker on the bulkhead playing fake reverb through the cabin. I'd love to hear a 718 without it.
One quick note: The 718 GTS models do not have the soundaktor.

It was quite easy to disconnect the soundaktor in the 17-18 models, but it's my understanding the plug has been moved in the 2019 models.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:57 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
First time Porsche buyer. Excited, anxious, and nervous about making the RIGHT decision. Despite thorough usage of the search tool, I have yet to stumble across someone who has experience with both. My local dealership has an allocation for both a 911 Carrera T as well as a 718 Cayman GTS. The car will be ordered with three pedals. I had the opportunity to drive a manual T, but unfortunately only a PDK equipped 718 GTS. Hoping someone out there may have had the pleasure of driving both of these cars with manual transmissions. I have now experienced the mid vs rear balance, 6cyl vs 4cyl, etc. At the end of the day the cars are within 110lbs, 5hp, and 5 inches (length) of eachother...the performance and overall feel were very similar during my drives (granted, mild SA accompanied test drives). No kids, weekend cruiser, back road explorer, maybe tracked once or twice a year Pure driving enjoyment is the ultimate goal. Is the T worth the $22k premium? Is the 718 GTS manual "sloppy" compared to the T? Is the T more enjoyable for cruising? Does the 718 GTS need to be pushed harder to get the same enjoyment? I've rambled enough, any feedback, feelings, opinions, experiences, must have options (RAS), etc, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I was in the exact same situation about 3 months ago (except I had a 996 before). Test drove both in manual, a lot. Performance wise for my use which is the same as yours (maybe minus a track day), I could not argue against 718gts. Drove well. Even the engine sound (often subject to complaints) wasn’t bad at all. The. Every time I get into the 911 T, I just say to myself, damn this is it!! I like all of its driving characteristics of a 911. Different personality and swings. Ultimately, I knew 718gts would’ve been fine but I knew I would have wanted to look for an exit to get into a 911 T (very soon) so I ordered a T.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:12 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
...Y'all are much more helpful than other car communities I have associated with in the past!
Welcome aboard. Good luck with the search. As for "helpful"... Just make sure never to ask "Naturally Aspirated vs (Twin) Turbo", and "T vs. S", and you'll be fine. :-)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 PM
BA73
Racer

Thanks everyone - I'll see if I can line up some drives over the next couple if weekends and report back with a decision.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Scottsdale Porsche? It's really hard to get an extended test drive with them. They'll loop you around the block at best. Can't even go over 40.

At best they'll let you get on the 101, make the first exit and then turn around on Hayden. Go there when there's no traffic/rush hour and ask for at least 15 miles.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 PM
BA73
Racer

Yes, Scottsdale Porsche is the closest to me - fortunately my SA has been AWESOME allowing me to get behind the wheel, answering questions, explaining the process, etc. Nothing but a great expierence thus far. Unfortunately I have will have to go elsewhere to get behind the wheel of a 6 speed 718 or 981.

Last edited by BA73; 10-30-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: responded to wrong comment
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

This is another simple one to answer.

If you don’t know what you want and need to ask a forum what car you should spend +$100k on, then the answer is neither. Keep shopping until you can find something YOU want. Actually it sounds more like you are seeking affirmation, so pick up an issue of Christophorus and buy whatever is on the cover this month. You’ll sleep better.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,034 Likes on 655 Posts

It's actually pretty simple - drive both and buy the one that "moves" you the most.

Both are good, indeed very good - however don't fall for the marketing in regard to the 911. On twisty challenging roads the 718 is the better car - it is both rewarding and forgiving at the same time. Moreover it has a close intimate feel missing from the 911. To get the same nimble agility from the 911 you will need to specify RAS.

In contrast the 911 is more of a leggy cruiser it definetly feels like a larger car even tho the difference in dimensions are actually quite small.

As as a general comment the sports plus seats are a very good compromise - The LWB aren't a selling point in a road car in fact any bucket seat if that type rapidly becomes tiresome especially for your passenger. In fact if you go that route get the sports bucket seat - that allows access to the rear.

Noise and cylinders - make your own call - at the end of the day it's what works for you - not the forum. If you buy for you and not for perception you will be a happy camper.

PS I own both Cayman and 911.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For many of us here, the 911 is iconic and fun enough that the answer is obvious. What do you want to walk out to? For me, it was definitely a 911. I have no disrespect for a cayman- in fact, I would love to own one. But I need like two or three 911's first.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 89 Posts

718 gts is a great car ....motor just sound like “***”. Maybe wear headphones with GT3 sound track? Or wait for 718 GT4
Old 10-30-2018, 11:57 PM
BA73
Racer

well folks, that sums it up, looks like I'm getting a middle aged, well dressed, German dude!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:24 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,034 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
For many of us here, the 911 is iconic ............But I need like two or three 911's first.
What if the icon doesn't live up to expectations? what if it doesn't excite? Surely its a case of what excites during the drive, and almost certainly, thats different for everyone

There is never a right or wrong answer to the OPs question only he or she can determine what moves him or her. There is a marketing driven perception (and indeed a business model) that one moves up to the 911. Personally, I have never bought this despite the fact I own one. There is a reason I own a Cayman as well (981 GTS) - it drives differently to the 911 and there's a lot of pleasure to be had from that. In fact going into a corner hard is very like hitting a corner in a 488 or 720, sure the exits are a different kettle of fish but then again so is the livability factor.

I think it can be wise to explore the offerings on the table.

I did note Stouts comment with regard to the 981 GT4 and would add this, whilst the GT4 is technically a Cayman its not the Cayman - its a GT modified version of the 981 and as such I always felt it was a work in progress and not complete (in my view , although a good Porsche, the reviews were largely out of line with reality - for a road car).

For example the GT4 has a tendency to understeer, the 981 GTS doesn't - the latter is a complete product with the 3.4 9A1 matched beautifully to the PDK. I have no doubt the 718 GTS is finished to a similar standard - e.g. its a finished product. I wait with interest for the 718GT4 - hopefully lessons have been learned.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-31-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:32 AM
BA73
Racer

well said folks. as stated in my OP, I have driven, felt, heard, and smiled a lot while doing so. Unfortunately, only so many combinations available on the lot to test drive...havent driven exact specs I am trying to compare, so was hoping others had. luckilly, members here have had the pleasure to do so. have thoroughly enjoyed reading y'alls experiences and preferences. trying to find some more 3 pedal cars to take for a spin.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T vs 718 Cayman GTS