Sponsored by:

Tech Inspection for PCA Event?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tech Inspection for PCA Event?

I'm planning on attending my first PCA Driver's Education event in a week at Limerock Park. A friend has walked me through all the processes to get ready for it—PCA (re)-registration, event registration, and track insurance. I picked my number. And I'm planning on using one of my full face motorcycle helmets which I used at a Skip Barber event there last year. The only outstanding item is a "tech inspection."

I've downloaded and printed the form. But where the heck do you get a tech inspection? Or can someone do it at the track the day of? Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Most PCA regions will have a list of pre approved shops that will do you inspection ahead of time.

Track day is busy and can be hard to get tech done on site. That said you can usually get it done.Email or call the Chief Steward for more on the event.

Enjoy and have fun.

PCA National Instructor.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I know it's likely your motorcycle helmet is Snell rated, but not all are. I don't know how strict your DE event's check is on helmets, but a Snell rating is supposedly required for PCA DE events and a Snell SA2010 or SA2015 rating is preferred for automotive events.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:02 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

each pca chapter has slightly different rules but i would bet your motorcycle helmet will not be allowed

tech inspection usually can be done at an indie shop, or a dealer... often the pca chapter will work with a sponsoring shop or dealer (or both) and these places are most used to efficiently doing the check for you

otherwise, just contact your pca event organizer... usually their contact info is right on the event sign up site
Old 10-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are running with CVR here is list of approved tech inspection locations.

https://www.cvrpca.org/docs/de/tech-inspectors-2018.pdf

If you have any questions please contact the organizer or send me a PM and I will be happy to help. I will also be at the event so if there is anything you need at the track please let me know.

Aaron
Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are in the greater-Boston area: Bill (http://www.eurotechracecars.com/) is not listed on CVR's website, but approved; he built a lot of the race cars you will see at the track.

Contact CVR regarding your helmet because that region is notoriously strict. HMS in Danvers has a pretty big selection of helmets if you need one.

Have fun, and check out NER/NCR events next season

P.S. You picked the worst possible time for your first day. You will be bitten by the bug, and then have to wait six months for your second day
Old 10-28-2018, 10:18 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

While it appears that your car is a newer 991.2, you should be aware that LRP has noise restrictions on most days. So if you have a modified exhaust, be sure to check db limits.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
I'm planning on attending my first PCA Driver's Education event in a week at Limerock Park. A friend has walked me through all the processes to get ready for it—PCA (re)-registration, event registration, and track insurance. I picked my number. And I'm planning on using one of my full face motorcycle helmets which I used at a Skip Barber event there last year. The only outstanding item is a "tech inspection."

I've downloaded and printed the form. But where the heck do you get a tech inspection? Or can someone do it at the track the day of? Many thanks in advance.
The tech inspection that I've seen for PCA events is a two stepped process. Step 1 is to print out the detailed tech inspection form and take it to any certified mechanic to complete and sign off on. I would also suggest that you announce "I'm taking this car on a roadcourse race track and I'm going to be driving it really fast and I want to ensure it is safe!" Hopefully, this helps heighten the attention to detail on the inspection. Step 2, when you get to the track or the host hotel the PCA groups will usually complete the tech inspection by a) Checking that the detailed form has been completed, which includes the pre-inspection by a mechanic, b) Check lug nut torque, c) Check that battery terminals are covered, d) Complete a few visual checks of brake fluid color, tire tread depth, and seat belts, and lastly, e) They will check that your helmet meets SNELL requirements. If it does, they usual put a sticker on your helmet to show that it was inspected and met the requirements. The last I knew, motorcycle helmets are not approved. I believe the design or a motorcycle helmet and an automotive helmet is different.

I hope you enjoy your first event!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
I believe the design or a motorcycle helmet and an automotive helmet is different.
Helmets need to be Snell rated, and it is dependent on the region whether or not motorcycle helmets are accepted.

Quick Reply: Tech Inspection for PCA Event?