Sponsored by:

How long can you store a 911 on jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:54 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
This is where I recognize that I am creating more work for myself.

I have been using the same tire shop for the last 10 - years.. they are a good group of guys who mount and balance wheels perfectly each time. However.... the shop is a little rough-around the edges... for example:

1. One instance the tech-removed a rim with an air impact tool and marked the bolt holes badly... they fixed the rim for me but that was an extra trip for me
2. The tech who sat in the car was filthy... and left the filth behind (seats, steering wheel, door scuffs etc).. oh and the smell !!!!! (think episode of Seinfeld)
3. I am not interested in the new young tech's learning where to lift my Porsche on their hoist
4. I cannot afford any patients for the items list above and I am generally more satisfied to execute a little bit of work in order to have the condition of my car maintained. It is after all an expensive and important piece of equipment that holds value to me... the guy changing the tires does not recognize the importances of the car... it is just another car.
5. Final item, my car is a manual and I try my hardest to make sure that absolutely no one, unless absolutely necessary, drives my car other than the wife and I.

People in general don't car enough to treat your stuff well... add

The items described above do not occur if I take my car to a local porsche dealership, however I have other cars and the family relies on me to change out their tires as well which is why I stick to the one shop (after all I cannot take my dad's bmw to the porsche store).

In summary, this is self imposed hassle.

I tried really hard to find a set of rims for the winter so that I would not have to put up with all this non-sense but there was really nothing available to me with the correct offsets and wheels sizes at a reasonable price (ie. less than $1800) that I was willing to buy. Maybe next year there will be some more rims available without having to compromise the front offset or add spacers to the rear (I am local to the Toronto Ontario).

If you have a set of Rims I will gladly take them off your hands, i need:
8.5 x 20 et 49 Front
11.5 x 20 et 56 Rear
Well - that explains why! Can’t help you with rims. I have a set with snow tires for sale in the marketplace, but they are 18’s from a 2011 911 4S.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:07 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

HRE FF15
Echo your thoughts on shops working on your car, same reason I take wheels to a have balanced off the car.
Consider some new shoes for your rig, makes tire/wheel work quick and easier while giving you another option for tread & style.
Picked these up from RL classified last week for a similar reason:

Last edited by 911mhawk; 10-28-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk

HRE FF15
Echo your thoughts on shops working on your car, same reason I take wheels to a have balanced off the car.
Consider some new shoes for your rig, makes tire/wheel work quick and easier while giving you another option for tread & style.
Picked these up from RL classified last week for a similar reason:
Going shopping now ... tough to find the right size and offset
Old 10-28-2018, 04:52 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

While I would not recommend leaving car up on stands with wheels on for a long period of time, no harm in short periods and even longer if you have the wheels/ tires off during that time. I just had my GTS up recently for about a week while I took my time and worked on a number of maintenance tasks -- I just left the wheels off during that time. No worries at all about the suspension!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
1. One instance the tech-removed a rim with an air impact tool and marked the bolt holes badly... they fixed the rim for me but that was an extra trip for me
2. The tech who sat in the car was filthy... and left the filth behind (seats, steering wheel, door scuffs etc).. oh and the smell !!!!! (think episode of Seinfeld)
3. I am not interested in the new young tech's learning where to lift my Porsche on their hoist
4. I cannot afford any patients for the items list above and I am generally more satisfied to execute a little bit of work in order to have the condition of my car maintained. It is after all an expensive and important piece of equipment that holds value to me... the guy changing the tires does not recognize the importances of the car... it is just another car.
5. Final item, my car is a manual and I try my hardest to make sure that absolutely no one, unless absolutely necessary, drives my car other than the wife and I.
This is a good list and I completely agree. I take only wheels to tire shops -- between improperly jacking and using impact guns on the lugs (torquing them 3X tighter than spec and making them almost impossible to remove) it's just not worth it. In the several instances I've had the misfortune of having to take one of my cars to a shop and have asked for a torque wrench not an impact gun, not once has an impact not been used. Nobody listens, nobody cares.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
This is a good list and I completely agree. I take only wheels to tire shops -- between improperly jacking and using impact guns on the lugs (torquing them 3X tighter than spec and making them almost impossible to remove) it's just not worth it. In the several instances I've had the misfortune of having to take one of my cars to a shop and have asked for a torque wrench not an impact gun, not once has an impact not been used. Nobody listens, nobody cares.
Lol!!! #6 - completely over tightening the bolts! What an awful sound they make when I untighten then with the pry bar... like nails on a chairlift board. Another excellent reason I like to do it myself.

#7 improper tools - I retired from a shop visit to test fit rims this week and the shop had a crappy $40.00 torque wrench to set my rims back on... I had a gut feeling so I backed my snap-on in the frunk just in case. (Shop was run by a bunch of 20-year old kids....was scary).
Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

$40 torque wrench is fine for wheels. The idiots who use an impact to put them on (at least without a torque stick of which I am a big fan if I am honest) should be shot.

Quick Reply: How long can you store a 911 on jack stands