2013 C2s fair trade-in values? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

2013 C2s fair trade-in values?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM
  #1  
Doosha
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Default 2013 C2s fair trade-in values?

Hi. I'm considering to trade in my 2013 C2s (late 2012 build / 23k miles / MSRP $11.5K) to a GT4. The dealer was only offering $65K on my C2s for the trade in. I'm wondering is this a fair offer? I realized that the 2013 models are still selling at $75k in the market.
Doosha is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:36 PM
  #2  
Level3
User
 
Level3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 29
Default

You're never getting retail for your car in a trade in. That's how they make money.
Level3 is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:38 PM
  #3  
Doosha
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by Level3 View Post
You're never getting retail for your car in a trade in. That's how they make money.
I understand. But is it a fair value based on trade in? (I do have tax benefits here).
Doosha is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 PM
  #4  
good2go
User
 
good2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 190
Default

just input detail in KBB. It's going to be pretty accurate.
good2go is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:50 PM
  #5  
Doosha
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by good2go View Post
just input detail in KBB. It's going to be pretty accurate.
I thought KBB is not accurate for Porsches.
Doosha is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 PM
  #6  
good2go
User
 
good2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 190
Default

Originally Posted by Doosha View Post
I thought KBB is not accurate for Porsches.
well it’s data comes from actual transactions so I don’t know why it would not be accurate.

good2go is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM
  #7  
visitador
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
visitador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,104
Default

My gut reaction is yes bc I have seen private listings for that year around $70k. Dealer is trying to make a $5-8k profit, I believe
visitador is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 09:27 PM
  #8  
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
jford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,763
Default

I'm actively on the hunt for a 991.1 and have to think the number is about right maybe even generous considering they will have to CPO the car.

As to KBB values, I can say with certainty that they are way high on Cayenne Turbos for dealer trade and about right for private party.
jford is offline  
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 PM
  #9  
saeyedoc
User
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 495
Default

Sounds about right.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 AM
  #10  
Bob Z.
User
 
Bob Z.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Marineland FL
Posts: 976
Default

I like nadaguides.com for a more realistic value.
Bob Z. is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:32 AM
  #11  
phs0316
User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Default

They offered my 2014 C4s ( 140k msrp ) 2600 miles

for 76k...
phs0316 is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 AM
  #12  
Doosha
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by phs0316 View Post
They offered my 2014 C4s ( 140k msrp ) 2600 miles

for 76k...
Did you accept?
Doosha is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM
  #13  
StormRune
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
StormRune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,156
Default

Originally Posted by phs0316 View Post
They offered my 2014 C4s ( 140k msrp ) 2600 miles

for 76k...
The super low miles, the 1 year newer, and the AWD (C4S vs C2S) will help a lot of course, and I'm not saying this was necessarily the case here: But if that is a trade-in value against a more expensive car it means little without an understanding of how close to MSRP or asking price the new car was. Often dealers will try to make a trade-in value sound really good if they think that sounds important to the buyer, but budge very little on their asking price as a result. Or vice-versa. That said that price is close to what I got in trade for my 2014 C4S (140k sticker, 33k miles) back in January, but I also got around $8k off the asking price of the newer lightly-used car.

I always go into a trade-in negotiation with a well-researched delta-price between the old and the new in mind and aim for that one figure (with tax and misc expenses considerations rolled in as well), rather than muddy things with the multiple prices involved in the trade and the new car.

Also OP, that price for that many miles is in line with my expectations for that year. I always expect to get an offer from a dealer that's at least 15% less than what I'd think you'd be able to get for it in a private sale. Like said previously, for a car within the six year CPO'able range, they'll be facing considerable costs in getting the car up to CPO specs (services/tires) and for the CPO coverage itself. I had them show me the work done on my last CPO and between the tires and services done those things would have cost me over $4k to do (not counting the CPO warranty cost). Then they'll need a good profit too since running a business isn't cheap.
StormRune is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM
  #14  
Bud Taylor
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 605
Default tax bill - funny math

I would rather eat the tax bill than know someone is doing the funny math involved below that happens every single time a car is traded to a dealer. At times, on lower priced vehicles trade ins may actually be a complete wash (ie. you would have been able to purchase the car with the cash alone vs the cash and trade in). Dealers love trades because it allows them to obfuscate the transaction...

Originally Posted by StormRune View Post
The super low miles, the 1 year newer, and the AWD (C4S vs C2S) will help a lot of course, and I'm not saying this was necessarily the case here: But if that is a trade-in value against a more expensive car it means little without an understanding of how close to MSRP or asking price the new car was. Often dealers will try to make a trade-in value sound really good if they think that sounds important to the buyer, but budge very little on their asking price as a result. Or vice-versa. That said that price is close to what I got in trade for my 2014 C4S (140k sticker, 33k miles) back in January, but I also got around $8k off the asking price of the newer lightly-used car.

I always go into a trade-in negotiation with a well-researched delta-price between the old and the new in mind and aim for that one figure (with tax and misc expenses considerations rolled in as well), rather than muddy things with the multiple prices involved in the trade and the new car.

Also OP, that price for that many miles is in line with my expectations for that year. I always expect to get an offer from a dealer that's at least 15% less than what I'd think you'd be able to get for it in a private sale. Like said previously, for a car within the six year CPO'able range, they'll be facing considerable costs in getting the car up to CPO specs (services/tires) and for the CPO coverage itself. I had them show me the work done on my last CPO and between the tires and services done those things would have cost me over $4k to do (not counting the CPO warranty cost). Then they'll need a good profit too since running a business isn't cheap.
Bud Taylor is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 01:19 PM
  #15  
phs0316
User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Default

Originally Posted by Doosha View Post
Did you accept?
no, gt3 that I was looking got sold.. so I kept my car..

BTW, this trade in value was IF I buy car from them.
phs0316 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: