Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would someone backing into me hard be recorded on the OBD II port?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:24 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would someone backing into me hard be recorded on the OBD II port?

I had the car running but was parked and someone backed into me hard, T-boning the car. Right away he came out and apologized and admitted he was 100% at fault. The area he hit had to be replaced and fortunately they were able to repair it properly and there are no issues. I'm going after the guy who ignored his backup camera and parking sensors to slam on the gas and hit me for DV and now he's claiming we were both moving. It's very frustrating he would change his story and lie but I guess that's what I have to deal with. I would think it would be easy to tell from the damage I was stationary, but would like to get additional evidence.

Since the car shook when he hit me and it was strong enough to damage the side panels would it be recorded in the car in a way I could recover it from the OBD-II port?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I cannot answer your question for sure but I do not think so since I believe you would need to have accelerometers to record movement. I do agree that if you have pictures of the damage it would show that the car was not moving due to a lack of horizontal scrapes.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

The ODB-II port only reports those types of readings in real-time (although there are accelerometers you can read from it in real time). The car's "black box" maintains a very short rolling memory of recent events for accident reconstruction purposes, like in the last many seconds, but if you've driven anywhere afterwards those would be gone.

I think Bob's answer is your best bet. Since he backed into your side (and it wasn't a direct end-to-end contact like bumper-to-bumper), there would be linear scraping from your movement IF you had been moving.

I know it's too late to help this time, but this type of thing is one of the reasons I have a dash cam in both my car and truck... one that records when parked as well. Yeah, it costs money up front, but I'd rather do that than let someone else get a pass when it's their fault.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It sucks, I plan on installing a camera.

same thing has happened to me, lady backed into me hitting my fender, while she was talking to her daugher. Immediately admitted her fault in front of her daughter. Then when the cop came she said I was speeding and came behind her real fast and she couldn’t stop. I told her she is lying in front of her daughter. Most ppl just lie because it benefits them.

Her insurance only covered 80% of the damages as she did not accept fault.

i pray Karma gets her...can’t tolerate liers and cheats

hope you have a positive resolution.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:09 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

In my world those people who lie suffer unfortunate things happening to them. It’s really a shame.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:43 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by StormRune
The ODB-II port only reports those types of readings in real-time (although there are accelerometers you can read from it in real time). The car's "black box" maintains a very short rolling memory of recent events for accident reconstruction purposes, like in the last many seconds, but if you've driven anywhere afterwards those would be gone.

I think Bob's answer is your best bet. Since he backed into your side (and it wasn't a direct end-to-end contact like bumper-to-bumper), there would be linear scraping from your movement IF you had been moving.

I know it's too late to help this time, but this type of thing is one of the reasons I have a dash cam in both my car and truck... one that records when parked as well. Yeah, it costs money up front, but I'd rather do that than let someone else get a pass when it's their fault.
Guess I'm too naive, but I thought that if someone acts carelessly like he did and realizes right away he is 100% at fault and admits it to you that he wouldn't then lie about it. As I was parked when he t-boned me I never though that he'd claim we were both at fault. Maybe Jay Leno was right when he'd show clips and say he recorded everything in his life for legal reasons.

Hopefully the fact that there wasn't any linear scraping will be sufficient to prove I wasn't moving. I know dash cams will automatically turn on when there's a crash. Wish I had one.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:44 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Thank you.

That's too bad that the lady lied to you. In front of her daughter too! What a shame
Old 10-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Dash cam won't pick up the hit, but it will show you weren't moving when you did get hit.

One nice thing about the dash cam is that they also record audio. When the guy T-boned me, I actually got him on camera saying he was sorry, at fault, and never even looked before pulling out when he came up to my driver side right after the accident. Most will say the truth at the time as they are running on adrenaline and don't have the ability to lie. Later on when they have had time to come off that, is when they realize what it will cost them and start lying.

Dash cam is one of the best things I did when I bought my car. Though so far he has admitted to being at fault to my insurance. But I am waiting for him to start lying when we get to court and am ready to pull out the video/audio if needed.

-TJ

Quick Reply: Would someone backing into me hard be recorded on the OBD II port?