Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is done a new car upon port arrival?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018 | 11:11 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
As many of you probably know (since I say in almost every post) I am waiting on my Targa GTS to arrive, in a month or so. I have never heard what exactly happens at the port when it arrives so does someone have first hand knowledge? The dealer does the PDI but I assume that someone looks the car over but do they actually do anything such as fix a scratch? And how do they work for, Porsche or a contractor?
I can’t wait for you to get your car. You need something to do with you time.
Old 10-27-2018 | 11:22 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I dug my nose as deep as I could and got it out of my SA. I felt bad pressuring so much but I had major suspicions. Turned out that I was right.

When the car arrived at the dealer I got to take a look at it again fresh off the truck. Aside from looking dusty it looked 100% spot on. It didn't have any white plastics on the side where the damage occurred. There was also a small black stain on the luxor beige seat.

Interestingly to me, the car sold within a week of it sitting on the lot.
good investigative work!
Old 10-27-2018 | 11:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnolan

???? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Do I know you?
Old 10-27-2018 | 11:38 PM
Psorcery
Banned

???? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Do I know you?
Old 10-27-2018 | 11:46 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Whoa buddy! What's this all about?

We're here for conversation, exchange of information for mutual interest and quite often, help each other out.

The question is legit, issues such as damage, happen all the time and it occurred to me on an ordered Turbo Regal. The right front fender had been damaged and repaired/repainted, something the dealer never mentioned. I didn't realize it until after delivery, the removal of a decorative plaque (it was misaligned) showed that the plate had been taped over, instead of removed, when they re-painted the fender. If you think that every dealer, salesman or even the manufacturer are your friends and looking after your interest, you're living in an alternate universe.

They will look after your interest only if it intersects their own and bottom line, they're not here to give money away.
Old 10-27-2018 | 11:52 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Whatever they look for can go quick, and they don't always catch all the damage that may have occurred. My GTS earlier this year demonstrated both. First of all, it landed in Jax around 6PM on a Saturday, and was released for transport on Monday. It then arrived a couple days earlier than planned, because the driver of a different load found some damage on a car, and refused to take it. Instead he loaded mine, that was sitting there waiting, instead.
Old 10-28-2018 | 12:05 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

its my understanding that cars are off loaded to the lot, then picked up by truck in a prearranged manner and taken to the receiving dealer. I dont know that there is some initial servicing done at the port, by porsche. Ive never heard of that. I am wondering if and where this is
Old 10-28-2018 | 12:18 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I've also heard that cars need to clear customs, which can take longer for some than others as people have reported here. I would think that cars being sent to the US, especially new ones, are pre-certified in regards to emissions but maybe they run a dog through sniffing for contraband. And the window sticker is printed at the port as well from what I read?
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:12 AM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

What color targa did you order ? What are you driving now ? Congrats
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:23 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orclean1
What color targa did you order ? What are you driving now ? Congrats
Miami Blue with Black interior and colored trim. I sold my C7 Stingray and Abarth Spider so I just have my Fat Boy Lo to ride until the Targa GTS arrives next month. My SA said the ETA is right in the middle of a cruise to Cuba I am taking so I hope to have it when I get back.
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Bob, draft a very simple one paragraph letter. Addressed to a high level member of the dealership management team. In the letter, state car's VIN, and other important details. In letter claim, "car had not been damaged and repaired during the transportation, inspection, and dealer prep & processing process". Get said signature.

This forces their hand. As most all State Laws do not require this disclosure (some vary depending on repair/damage costs) UNLESS asked by the buyer.

Keep document in car history file.
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:35 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if they would actually provide such a verification, especially if they have no idea if anything was done to the car when it arrives in the port. Just to be clear to everyone I am not worried about the car arriving but was curious as to what happens when a car arrives in the port.
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if they would actually provide such a verification, especially if they have no idea if anything was done to the car when it arrives in the port. Just to be clear to everyone I am not worried about the car arriving but was curious as to what happens when a car arrives in the port.
They know. They just don't have to tell you by most State Laws. I've been doing this for many years on new car purchases. My only intent, is to force their hand and full disclosure.
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:57 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

A family friend had suspicion that their GM truck had sustained major damage before delivery. They researched how GM trucks are delivered and found out their truck rolled off the train car ramp when one of the shuttle personnel wasn't paying attention. It was fixed and sold as new.

They flew to Oshawa Ontario Canada where the trucks are made and actually found a worker who knew of the accident. In the end they sued GM and won...
Old 10-28-2018 | 11:27 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

when I was in college, I was a day laborer at the port in Jacksonville. it paid minimum wage and was a day by day, first come first served job. The cars I worked with were mostly Japanese, they came covered in paraffin and had to go through a kerosene car wash. I also worked with BMWs. Those we shuffled to the radio installer and paint shop where they put airdams and spoilers on them. Never got to deal with the Porsches though.

Quick Reply: What is done a new car upon port arrival?