Sponsored by:

991.2 Base Carrera BOOST LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:29 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
True the MM act requires them to prove it, but who wants to front the cost of an attorney to fight the issue?
Since the burden of proof lies on the dealer in question, the dealer would be forking our legal fees long before the customer... Which is why when you bring it up, they change tone and are more agreeable. Again, going to an enthusiast friendly dealership makes this stuff a moot point. Some online service department research should point you in the right direction

Old 10-26-2018, 02:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I'd say that a boost leak possibly caused by substantially higher than stock boost might qualify as "related."
Yep exactly...Porsche will not warranty the engine, trans....if the car is tuned...ECU tampered with.

Porsche NA has directly told me.....Its not the dealers decision...its Porsche North America's decision on warranty. They do go off the dealerships recommendations to a degree. Porsche NA will ask for ECU read outs when engine related issues are being addressed in the dealership service department.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Not entirely true, just for anything related to the tune.
True to a degree...your car has a tune...ECU tampered with....you take the car in for a dash rattle...yeah that could be covered under warranty. Take the car isn for anything that the ECU controls...no warranty.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:07 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing. Reset the DTCs. ( Even if there are none, this resets short term / long term trims ).
Depends on the software version of the AP. resetting the ECU with the AP does not reset the adaptions. Reset with a gerneric OBDII scan tool or a RossTech VCDS ( VAG COMM ).. or stop by a auto parts store, its free to use their scanner.

report back.

Ive had this happen a few times as we test hardware and revisions.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep exactly...Porsche will not warranty the engine, trans....if the car is tuned...ECU tampered with.

Porsche NA has directly told me.....Its not the dealers decision...its Porsche North America's decision on warranty. They do go off the dealerships recommendations to a degree. Porsche NA will ask for ECU read outs when engine related issues are being addressed in the dealership service department.
Its the same elsewhere too. In fact I know of someone that did a modification to a current Porsche model that ultimately caused the engine to fail. Porsche were very thorough and denied warranty - the person in question is not contesting.

With boost leaks, it's important to get the problem fixed pronto. The reason being the engine invariably leans out as the ECU fails to adequately adjust. The cost of getting the leak chased down and fixed is negligible on a new car.

Another point to note: with the 992 Porsche have upped the compression ratio of the engine, added piezo fuel injection (improved knock threshold - timing advanced) to increase torque and HP. They have not dialled up boost and in fact in the base they have wound it down. There will be reasons for this.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, so I uninstalled the AP, and brought the car to Porsche to diagnose. They said it was a faulty circuit in the DME and replaced it under warranty. BUT... I don’t think that was the issue, they knew it was reflashed and did not care, but I think their faulty circuit was just their scan tool showing the unlock... I still believe there is some sort of boost leak, or turbo/intercooler issue..

I decided to send the new ecu out to be unlocked again by Cobb. It is still acting the same and the issue still exists. I’m seeing roughly 14-15 psi max on stage 1 tune and roughly 11 psi max on stage 0. No abnormal noises, check engine lights and such. I’ve heard of these cars having wastegate issues but that’s not the case here, neither rods are stuck. Open to ideas..
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Ryan,
The WG arms are known to stick. They have changed the protections around the bushing. ( Porsche )
You can check this by inspecting that the swing arms on the turbo move freely.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Why don't you take the car back to Porsche and tell them you suspect there is problem with boost and see if they can find anything. Usually cars with a significant boost leak run rough - it's noticeable.

Better to get it checked and if there is a problem get it fixed.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
But he has lost his warranty.
Come on. You think a dealer has never fixed a modded car under warranty? They have, all the time. And many times knowingly.

There are are plenty of reasonable dealers. Plenty more unreasonable ones but a tune does not automatically equal no warranty.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

No WG rod issue, a previous post stated it could be the BPV which I will search with a boroscope tomorrow. And yes, warranty wasn’t denied when they replaced the DME after knowing it was reflashed. There is decent dealerships out there, I truly believe it is a small boost leak, just can’t seem to find it yet... if I can’t find it this time around, it’s going back to the dealer again..

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base Carrera BOOST LEAK