Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997/991, coming from BMW. Porsche engine reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Vect
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Question 997/991, coming from BMW. Porsche engine reliability.

Hi there!

So I have made my first step into Porsche, I have left the comfort of the bimmerforums.

My story; I have been a big fan of BMW, my father bought me my first, a rusted out e36 which at the time was already a 15 year old car. Since then I was a fan of natural aspiration. So over time I had 3 E46 (328i, 330i wagon, 330ci) and 2 E92's (335i and M3).

And now that I have had my fantastic E92 M3 (NA V8, DCT, 420HP) it is time for a change. I want a manual, RWD sports car without turbos. And I frankly have started to detest BMW both as a company and brand. (introduction of 2 series active tourer and M/// branding for 16 year old's which is frankly infantile).

Lastly I want a car that has a close to perfect when it comes to the engine. Case and point, my E92 M3 has a NA V8 (designation S65) derived from a V10 used in BMW's Sauber racing program, there is the infamous rod bearing issue, while my E92 has only 70tkm, I have been dreading the moment something would happen. So now I want to invest, into a car where I know that engine-wise all i need to do is Oil, where I have no worries.

And for the final crescendo, the question, how is the engine reliability of the following cars:

997 Carrera S / GTS

991 both S and non S Carrera

I am looking for a low KM, Black, coupe with manual :-)!

Danke im Voraus/ Thank you in advance,

Richard
Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

997.2 and 991 are similarly good in terms of engine reliability... They resolved the IMS issue of earlier engines with an engine redesign...
Early 997s (2005/2008) still have that issue and are not repairable without splitting the case, so i would avoid those.

so as long as you stick with an 09 or newer you are golden engine wise... We only suffer from crappy change over valves (fairly cheap vacuum operated valves that control the heater, coolant, exhaust and other things) and detaching door panel tops ;-) In my experience 997.2 were made in small numbers and are overpriced versus a 991. I'd recommend you go 991.1 or .2 depending on your preference in engine (naturally aspirated scream or turbo torque - no loser there)

Manual: a quick word there... Not many made, and all are 7 speed unless you luck into an R or manual GT3 ;-) It's not a bad gearbox, but 1-3-5-7 is a lot of gears on the top of the tree so some find it less pleasant a box than the 6 speed due to tighter spacing... Personally I made myself forget 7th exists and I enjoy it...
Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
997.2 and 991 are similarly good in terms of engine reliability... They resolved the IMS issue of earlier engines with an engine redesign...
Early 997s (2005/2008) still have that issue and are not repairable without splitting the case, so i would avoid those.

so as long as you stick with an 09 or newer you are golden engine wise... We only suffer from crappy change over valves (fairly cheap vacuum operated valves that control the heater, coolant, exhaust and other things) and detaching door panel tops ;-) In my experience 997.2 were made in small numbers and are overpriced versus a 991. I'd recommend you go 991.1 or .2 depending on your preference in engine (naturally aspirated scream or turbo torque - no loser there)

Manual: a quick word there... Not many made, and all are 7 speed unless you luck into an R or manual GT3 ;-) It's not a bad gearbox, but 1-3-5-7 is a lot of gears on the top of the tree so some find it less pleasant a box than the 6 speed due to tighter spacing... Personally I made myself forget 7th exists and I enjoy it...
7th? It has a 7th? I need to go check that..............;-)
Old 10-22-2018, 02:22 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How is this different from your other question? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1106...-from-bmw.html

Quick Reply: 997/991, coming from BMW. Porsche engine reliability.