Sponsored by:

PCM Auto Restart

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts
Default PCM Auto Restart

Last week the PCM went off, then into a restart mode by itself. I didn't notice any changes, but wondered if Porsche can push updates? My car is set up with a cell connection and perhaps it was an auto download? This has not happened before.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Last week the PCM went off, then into a restart mode by itself. I didn't notice any changes, but wondered if Porsche can push updates? My car is set up with a cell connection and perhaps it was an auto download? This has not happened before.
Hmmmmm.....very interesting! Can you check the PCM version and post it? The other post about the Burmester suddenly having more base after a dealer update made me wonder - when I drove mine this weekend I thought to myself, wow, I don't recall that much base! (and I have had the car for 6 months and 3500 miles now). Could mine have been updated remotely?

Anyways, the two threads now have me wondering LOL.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Hmmmmm.....very interesting! Can you check the PCM version and post it? The other post about the Burmester suddenly having more base after a dealer update made me wonder - when I drove mine this weekend I thought to myself, wow, I don't recall that much base! (and I have had the car for 6 months and 3500 miles now). Could mine have been updated remotely?

Sure, I'll check it out and post it.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Sure, I'll check it out and post it.
Here is my version.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 231 Posts

Interesting, and I thought I was crazy. I had my car coded recently for MF to SD swap to get multi-function into the new steering wheel mounted stock, and I immediately noticed the Burmester sounded vastly better. Deeper and tighter bass, just better overall clarity and loudness. Now I am starting to wonder...
Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 595 Posts

Had this happen to my first 991.2 a few months ago—PCM shut down, went black, and then fully rebooted while driving down the freeway. I remember some aspect of the reboot prompting a bit of a "big brother" vibe, but can no longer remember what that aspect was.

When PCM was back up and running, all was as it had been. Wasn't sure what to make of it, but it never happened again.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Interesting, and I thought I was crazy. I had my car coded recently for MF to SD swap to get multi-function into the new steering wheel mounted stock, and I immediately noticed the Burmester sounded vastly better. Deeper and tighter bass, just better overall clarity and loudness. Now I am starting to wonder...
Wow...that's three of us with that result. Makes me wonder, too!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Here is my version.
When I get home, I will look mine up. Wish I had a screenshot of it from this past April, though, to compare!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Airbag997
This is the other thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1105...te-lately.html
Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I'm the OP from the other thread. I don't have the SIM card inserted, so no cellular.. however, I noticed that my car is connecting to my home wifi now - so I guess it's possible it could be sucking up an update that way.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:29 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

All I want is an update that allows for Presets and speed limit in the multi-function display. Maddening that I have it in my 981 BGTS but not my 991.2 911.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by mreloc
Interesting. I'm the OP from the other thread. I don't have the SIM card inserted, so no cellular.. however, I noticed that my car is connecting to my home wifi now - so I guess it's possible it could be sucking up an update that way.
From your thread, it sounded like your update was done at your dealer?

For the 2018's, there is an embedded SIM card. I have the free one-year trial for the internet connectivity (google earth, etc.). Not sure if this OTA updating would work if it expired (I plan on renewing, though).

A google search showed that OTA updates might have been happening with Macans last year.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Just happened to me last month, it started with constant restart every 5 mins, but a week or 2 later it started to restart every 2 mins. The dealership tried software updates to no avail. They had to replace PCM under warranty.

Just an advice if this does occur, ensure if you have XM radio and live navi that you check that is working for you before you drive off the lot. When they changed mine to new PCM, something happened where my PCM is not receiving XM data, therefore my live traffic and weather is not working. I don't see the red/green traffic on freeways. The dealer is still working to figure this out.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Here is my version.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm. Not sure what that means. I have a C2 and you have a GTS. Maybe that’s why the versions are different?

Quick Reply: PCM Auto Restart