Sponsored by:

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts?

So I have a house in Naples Fl and a house in the suburbs of Boston. Will be spending most of my time on Fl, probably
6-7 months and the rest will be in New England. I am thinking of trading in my 15 TTS and getting a 19 C4S.
I don't think I need/want my TTS in Fl just no place to drive. Besides that it has black leather interior, yes it's vented
but still will be hot. Also I don't think I need the 560hp to drive from mall to mall, condos to condos. And to honest
I don't drive the car hard at all. I have never had it in launch control, maybe 4-5 times in sport or sport mode.
It was nice to have the king of 911s but I drove the car so easy. The 19 C4S has the sport tex interior not vented.
It is 2 tone, love the insides. Will I regret trading in the TTS? Is the C4S the right car? Has anyone else moved
to a warmer climate and traded in their car for the reasons I stated above? My wife says, tough choices huh?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Definitely first world problems. But good ones to have. I think you will find the Sport-Tex seats very uncomfortable in FLA. I'd definitely try to find a lighter interior leather for that climate and go for heated (in MA) and vented (in FLA), as needed. Even in a climate like Central TX, which is no where near as bad as you face, I couldn't live with the Sport-Tex. They look great, but don't breathe near as much as I'd like for the type of driving you are laying out. Good luck with the hunt!

S
Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Orlando FL. I just traded my 14 Cayman for a T both my trade and my new 911 are black cars with black interior. I would definitely get vented ac seats if available in your desired configuration. I don’t have them but have ridden in other peoples cars with it. It is very nice to have down here. I do have extremely dark tint on all my cars even my Volvo XC90.(also black) It makes a world of difference. As far as the laws go. I have never been stopped by a police officer for my tint. In fact the cops, school buses, ambulances hell everyone has extremely dark tint here in central Florida. The tint helps the AC work easier. In mid summer the car is gonna suck to get in no matter what. But once the AC GETS GOING it’s not bad. (With tinted windows).
Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

After 4 TT Porsche's I moved to a C4S. I loveed the car. Big butt like the TT cars , AWD, they are great cars. The new cars with turbo power plant are quick too.
I am building a home in Naples which should be done by January. Can't wait. I'm in the Philly area now. I will be taking my TTS with me in hopes of finding some place to drive it. We will be back and forth for a little while then will spend 6-8 months there and some time in Brazil where my wife is from.
Good luck. Let's have coffee down in the sun.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:56 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Lived in Florida for over 50 years and a light colored exterior goes a long way to keeping the car cool. AWD helps in the rain and I'm sure seat ventilation helps as well.

I've always tried to have light colored cars w/ varied success. My order is for a white 911 C4S, my wife's car is white as well, silver for the rest.

C4S allocations may take some searching for order. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

I was born and raised in Florida. Lighter colored car and tinted windows is the prescription to staying cooler. And a sun shade for anytime the car is parked outside. If you don't drive the car hard at all, is there any point in getting the S? The AWD of the 4S would come in handy should you ever decide to floor it after the daily August afternoon rain shower. But if you don't ever use more than half throttle, then the AWD is not needed.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 PM
shaf
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Have black on black in Florida with ventilated seats and no issues. AC is more than up to the Florida heat and the seats are a plus. Get the car you want and don’t worry about the heat.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Nothing you can do about the roads, but your concern would apply to any 911. The A/C is eminently capable of handling FL summer heat with a black interior. It easily blows cold enough, that I rarely even remember there is a ventilated seat button.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Not quite the same, but years ago I moved from Anchorage to Houston. I traded my 964 C4 for a Boxster S. The C4 was white over tan, which helped, but even with the AC system overhauled and updated, it never felt cold. The Boxster, besides the drop top, did much better. But I would have wished for ventilated seats for sure.

In any case, the comfort factor will depend as much on the driver as the car. Are you "hot blooded"?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

After 2 Carrera S's and one GTS and one TTS I'd go TTS. Power On Demand is useful on any road. Seat colors IMO make almost no difference in the climate you will be loving in Fl Car color does though... Anyway, it's going to be hot seats..
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I’d keep the TTS.

Exterior is more ore important than interior color IME. Unless you want a manual or something not available on TT, I see no need to upgrade.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Keep the TTS.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:42 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I was born and raised in Florida. Lighter colored car and tinted windows is the prescription to staying cooler. And a sun shade for anytime the car is parked outside. If you don't drive the car hard at all, is there any point in getting the S? The AWD of the 4S would come in handy should you ever decide to floor it after the daily August afternoon rain shower. But if you don't ever use more than half throttle, then the AWD is not needed.
The point, for me, of getting a C4 is the AWD and added safety. The 911 with its wide tires isn't optimal in the wet so AWD adds to stability/traction. As to WOT on a wet road (unless its under controlled circumstances), it wouldn't be smart. For disclosure, we own several AWD vehicles in the family.

Initially ordered a C4, the S came about as the base C4 I wasn't available this late in the year, the SA offered a very nice discount for an S allocation to make up for the unavailable model.

In regards to the half-throttle and hard driving remarks, if one adheres to their inference, no need for a Porsche, one can always buy an econo-box, it will get one from A to B just fine.

There are other advantages to AWD, there's plenty of information available to that effect and can lead the OP to a reasoned decision, I'm satisfied with mine.

Last edited by BSO; 10-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I’d keep the TTS and just add some good tint. The real key is tint that also blocks IR which is the heat component of light.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

You did ask for any thoughts, so here are three:
  1. If 991.1 Turbo S > 991.2 Carrera 4S, I would make that change—especially if the Turbo's speed isn't something you feel you need anymore. Feel the C4S is better looking (this is a highly personal thing!) and better driving (I suppose some would say the same, but I'd disagree in this case...PAG made some nice leaps in the chassis dept with the 991.2) and has better tech hardware (though the UI is maybe a step back in some ways). Option of 7MT (my choice, so another compelling reason) or PDK. And if the dealer will offset the sting of the C4S due to lack of C4 allocation? I'd take that as a bonus, and celebrate with Sport PASM, which now rides about as nicely as PASM while getting rid of the fender gap. YMMV on all of the above.
  2. Good logic for AWD above. Not really needed here in CA, not even in northern CA, but I can see where its advantages come clear elsewhere—particularly with 305s out back.
  3. Can't speak to color choices too much, but do like the modern cloth seats.
  4. One thought on ventilated seats, if you'll be driving this car back and forth to the Northeast: After ordering my first 991.2 with ventilated seats, I met a curious gentleman in Weissach who asked what seats I ordered. When I said 4-way Sport Seats Plus, he was pleased. When I said yes to his question about ventilation, he grimaced ever so subtly. So I asked, and he said they're not as nice to sit in due to less padding. I wondered how much of a difference it could make, and soon found that where I could go to Los Angeles without a single ache or pain in 4WSS+ in my GT4, the same was not true with the ventilated version of those seats in the C2. I left them off my latest build, and the comfort is indeed a bit better around town and noticeably better on long drives. At least, it is for me. So...I'd weigh out whether the ventilation in a FL climate would outweigh comfort on long trips. Not sure which way I'd go, and in that climate I might have to have ventilated seats. Or SportTex–what's the argument against those in FL? Very curious...
Yes, your better half put it right: Tough choices.

Whichever way you go, enjoy your next chapter!

Quick Reply: Any thoughts?