Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 991.1S loud enough to get you a ticket at high RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Huh? Did you even read my question? I hope you don't respond to emails based entirely on the subject without looking at the text or any attachments. Doing that would cause me to want to scream.
Also, I did test drive the car first and can hear it fine from inside, but haven't figured out yet how to hear what it sounds like to someone walking on the sidewalk while driving the car during a test drive. My car does NOT have PSE.

Again, if you read my question I'm asking if you loud noise will draw a lot of attention to the fact that you're speeding, not that you'd get a ticket just based on the noise
I read your question. All loud noises draw attention, of course. But with an OEM PSE exhaust the noise won't get you incarcerated it's the speed that will. Why aren't you reading all the answers.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Yes, but if you look at the actual question it's pretty clear I'm asking if the noise might draw the attention of a cop. I thought it would be too long to ask the full question in the title.
Then sell it and buy a Tesla... No sound. You bought a Porsche. It is a sports car, it will draw attention no matter what.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Someone should take SPL-meter captures of 911s driving by at 40mph and record loudness at different RPM levels, including idle, 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500, 5500, 6500.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

when im down in the desert, Palm Desert, there are many high end cars that to me are obnoxiously loud. Maserati’s, F Type Jags to name a few. Even under mild acceleration, obnoxiously loud. With my car with PSE open, its not even close. have not yet seen a LEO stop any of the above.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I read your question. All loud noises draw attention, of course. But with an OEM PSE exhaust the noise won't get you incarcerated it's the speed that will. Why aren't you reading all the answers.
If you read my question then why are you still talking about getting incarcerated based on the sound alone? My question stated "I'm afraid a cop or someone will hear the high rpm and assume I'm going much faster than I am." Also if you read my question why did you say it has PSE when I didn't say I had it and specifically stated in a response my car does NOT have PSE? Why also would you assume that I didn't test drive the car? Please let me know how I can tell from a test drive how loud the car is at a high rpm relative to ones that are obnoxiously loud?

If I drive in a luxury car and am at 2,000 rpm at 65 mph no one bats an eye, but my concern is that if I'm in 2nd gear in the 911 someone will hear it and give me a ticket

Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM
dhull100
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how anyone can allay your concern to your satisfaction. You have the car. Enjoy it. What is the alternative?

Quick Reply: Is a 991.1S loud enough to get you a ticket at high RPMs?