Sponsored by:

Days like Today.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts
Default Days like Today.....

....are why you own a Porsche Convertible.

Remnants of Hurricane Michael roared through Northern Virginia yesterday and the rainfall was incredible, no doubt washing away the $ 300 worth of grass seed I put down on Monday (another Fall renovation failure I'm sure). It's been hot, rainy and gross - not much better than September. This morning though, crystal blue sky and 54 degrees as I take Gracie out for a walk. Chilly - I was going to take the BMW X4 to work because of the high winds and water, but the roads were pretty clear.

Zipped up my Patagonia Better Sweater, grabbed my Triumph motorcycle ball cap and jumped in the Porsche instead. Backed out of the garage, fingered the top down switch and off we go with the wind deflector UP and the windows DOWN. It was Glorious. So magnificent that I left the radio off, being entertained by the full Tubi pipes singing their song as Porsche's wonderful manual transmission snicked through the gears. . I tugged the collar up on the Patagonia....chilly....brisk....fall has arrived. It was 59 degrees by the time I pulled into work and my cheeks were a bit chilly, but it was a lovely drive in. Every time I catch myself looking at Porsche Coupes with wings on them and their admittedly sexy shapes I'm reminded today why the convertible is just so perfect. Looking forward to the drive home at 6 p.m., top down, of course.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I feel like I was right there in the passenger seat with you!! Sounds like a great way to start a Friday.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Nothing better than top down driving! Especially nice on the rare mid winter day that creeps into the 50's. And those warm summer nights with the moon and stars overhead. Cheers!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:51 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
....are why you own a Porsche Convertible.

Remnants of Hurricane Michael roared through Northern Virginia yesterday and the rainfall was incredible, no doubt washing away the $ 300 worth of grass seed I put down on Monday (another Fall renovation failure I'm sure). It's been hot, rainy and gross - not much better than September. This morning though, crystal blue sky and 54 degrees as I take Gracie out for a walk. Chilly - I was going to take the BMW X4 to work because of the high winds and water, but the roads were pretty clear.

Zipped up my Patagonia Better Sweater, grabbed my Triumph motorcycle ball cap and jumped in the Porsche instead. Backed out of the garage, fingered the top down switch and off we go with the wind deflector UP and the windows DOWN. It was Glorious. So magnificent that I left the radio off, being entertained by the full Tubi pipes singing their song as Porsche's wonderful manual transmission snicked through the gears. . I tugged the collar up on the Patagonia....chilly....brisk....fall has arrived. It was 59 degrees by the time I pulled into work and my cheeks were a bit chilly, but it was a lovely drive in. Every time I catch myself looking at Porsche Coupes with wings on them and their admittedly sexy shapes I'm reminded today why the convertible is just so perfect. Looking forward to the drive home at 6 p.m., top down, of course.
There is nothing like an open Porsche in the right weather, or indeed just about any weather (I even like them when it's storming against the fabric top...feels like you are getting away with something). But, on mornings like the one you describe, on warm (and, with heated seats, cold) nights...on lonely coasts and over the Golden Gate Bridge, they offer an experience like nothing else. While I am glad my 911 is a coupe, if I think about the two Boxsters (2.5 and 2.7) and the two Caymans (3.4 and 3.8), I probably had more memorable drives in the open 986s than the 987 and 981.

Which reminds me, I need to take my 914's top off more often...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Had the same experience this morning (albeit no convertible). Skipped 66 West and took the backroads for some glorious "wake-up" routines!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Here in Houston there are not that many days where a convertible is optimal.... but oh I can relate. When you do have a good day, a bit of chill in the air, there is nothing better......
Old 10-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I will not buy a sports car that has a fixed top and as I said recently in another thread if you only get one day a year to experience it makes it worth while. The cold front actually made it all the way down here but the low was just 70 and it is 80 now - not a cloud in the sky, less humidity and a great day for to take the Harley out since my Targa is not here yet. It would have a been a tough choice deciding between the 2 of them if the Targa was here but considering I have not had a sports car since July I think the Targa would have been my choice.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Here in Houston there are not that many days where a convertible is optimal.... but oh I can relate. When you do have a good day, a bit of chill in the air, there is nothing better......
This morning and at lunchtime I was really jonesing to take the Cabrio out. It was just so perfect, low humidity....shame it has a screw in the rear tire.

Oh well, hopefully Sunday morning will be as nice!

Fall is what I miss most about living in the NE. A LOT. Hanging Christmas lights in your shorts and a t shirt isn't a great way to get in the holiday spirit.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
This morning and at lunchtime I was really jonesing to take the Cabrio out. It was just so perfect, low humidity....shame it has a screw in the rear tire.

Oh well, hopefully Sunday morning will be as nice!

Fall is what I miss most about living in the NE. A LOT. Hanging Christmas lights in your shorts and a t shirt isn't a great way to get in the holiday spirit.
Another benefit of living in the NE....I too took a nail to my passenger rear tire this week, popped over to the dealership, had them swap on my winter tire/wheel set a week or so earlier than normal, and I'm back on the road.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Greetings from across the river!

I too decided on my carmine red gts coupe in lieu of the leaf once peering outside the window on this first true wonderful fall day!

I envy your open top experience, but did enjoy the sonorous flat 6 on my drive down 270 for about a minute until traffic hit! Oh well..
Old 10-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Pics!!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

I typically leave for work at 0500, and this week, enjoyed a surprisingly mild fall morning under a clear, starry sky.

This is my first drop-top and I've had the top down every chance I had over the summer.

Quick Reply: Days like Today.....