Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Targa price and driving questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default 991.1 Targa price and driving questions!

Hello! I am shopping for my wife: she wants something she can DD and drop the kids off in. She has been DD'ing her M4 and wants a P-car, and on days she doesn't take the boys to school, drives the GT4. She also wants something open-top. We had a really nice 991 cab manual last year; it was a great car and loaded, but we sold it to try something new (GT4).

Recently, a Targa 4S has come up on the radar. However, the 991.1 variants are typically pushing $100k or more! Do they retain value much better than, say a 991.1 cab? I can't remember the last time I saw a 2014 991 cab around $100k with 15,000 miles, but that seems to be the norm with a Targa 4S.

What are the thoughts on the Targa vs, say a 4S cab? I realize it is heavy and not as sporty (it weighs more than my 997.2 C4S, which is not a light car) but with Sport PASM and SC+, it seems like it is still a fun DD, right? We can also look at, say a 2015 GTS (lighter and faster, for sure!) but then we lose open-top ability, which is really fun and gives us a nice contrast to the sportier GT4 experience.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Targas are only heavy on the internet and race tracks.

We bought our '15 4S new. We ordered and got exactly what we wanted... among others, 7MT and no Sport Chrono package. There's nothing unsporty about 400hp, 3 pedals, and an open top... especially with the Sport button engaging the PSE. It's also a wonderful DD, the 4S laughs at the rain and the heated/vented seats keep you extra comfy. I've never spent so much with no regrets!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Have you driven a Targa? I drove a Cab and a Targa before we decided to order a Targa GTS, which we are waiting on now. We have had lots of verts and a couple targas over the years but the 991 Targa is great since one does not need to stow the top manually. If you have not driven one you should and one plus is the rearward visibility that is much better than the Cab has, along with a little extra storage inside. And as stated don't worry about the extra weight, especially since it sounds like you will not be tracking it albeit you still could.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am always amazed by the mention of the "heavier weight" of the Targa and how people think they will be able to tell a difference in normal, everyday driving. To dimension it, the weight difference is similar to the difference of having an adult size, male passenger in the car vs. not having such a passenger. I've never been able to discern a change in driving dynamics of my 991.2 GTS with or without a passenger. But I also don't drive my car on a track...
Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

I just returned from a weekend in Paso Robles wine region - and some awesome backroads. I pushed the Targa HARD. Never missed a beat. Yeah, it’s a little heavier than other 911’s, but come one, who really drives their car at 10/10 on public roads? PDK worked famously and whenever I needed a lower gear like RIGHT NOW it was always available at my left fingertips. I had a blast and didn’t give up anything to “non-Targa” cars.

I actually hope that the Targa continues to get a bad rap for being “bloated” so I don’t see so many on the road. To the OP, buy your wife a Panamera.

DaveGee
Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

If it takes a little more weight to build what many say is the best looking 911 made today so be it.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Epicben
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Regarding the .2 model, its only two 331 pounds diff from the base model. Drove the base model and my Targa 4s back to back and the weight is barely noticble.

Also it held up fine on the track. Buddies GT3RS killed me in the corners! But he would have killed me in the corners driving the Targa too!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Keep in mind that the targa is AWD and most cabs are 2wd. That’s ~$7k in sticker price new.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:46 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I am always amazed by the mention of the "heavier weight" of the Targa and how people think they will be able to tell a difference in normal, everyday driving. To dimension it, the weight difference is similar to the difference of having an adult size, male passenger in the car vs. not having such a passenger. I've never been able to discern a change in driving dynamics of my 991.2 GTS with or without a passenger. But I also don't drive my car on a track...
Not quite. It's more weight than that since the Targas all come with AWD. Also, the location of the weight matters even more......it's mostly up top, not down low.

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Targas are only heavy on the internet and race tracks.

We bought our '15 4S new. We ordered and got exactly what we wanted... among others, 7MT and no Sport Chrono package. There's nothing unsporty about 400hp, 3 pedals, and an open top... especially with the Sport button engaging the PSE. It's also a wonderful DD, the 4S laughs at the rain and the heated/vented seats keep you extra comfy. I've never spent so much with no regrets!
Love that quote and agree. If you are not tracking the car, the extra weight wont be noticeable because most of us wont push the car enough on public roads to tell the difference.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If it takes a little more weight to build what many say is the best looking 911 made today so be it.
Yep.....and the Targa will be my next (retirement self-gift) Porsche.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The Targa has always been my dream car...... Couple of years ago I tested one before buying my first 911 (991.2 Coupe) and I must say that I felt in love. What a nice car it was.

It was my choice but my wife (very important in the decision if you don't want to be in trouble.... hahahaha) didn't liked the electric blue color of the car. That was the only reason for not buying it.

I don't track my cars and they are daily drivers (currently driving a 991.2 Base Cabrio) so the extra weight of the Targa wasn't a problem for me. Actually, I couldn't even notice the additional weight during my drive.

Since my car is a daily driver, many times I have a lot of things in the trunk or the back seats so I normally drive with added weight without bothering me. It would be different if my car would be a track car.

Go for the Targa..... best Porsche in my opinion. You will enjoy it if you like to open the roof and enjoy the fresh air and life.......
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Targa's are the best looking 911 but they are very blustery top down especially at speeds over 40 mph. The wind deflector on the windshield is not that effective imo

Looks : Targa no doubt but top down refinement goes to 911 CAB over targa or Boxster s . Owners will quickly get used to cab visibility issues. Targa is only awd which gives you more traction / confidence in wet weather but at the expense of having less sporty /nimble feel over RWD 911 which already has very good traction due to engine location
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Before I ordered my Targa I read all the reviews and some said that there was too much turbulence/wind in the cockpit and others said the opposite, that Porsche had finally got the engineering right. I loved the look of the Targa no matter what but I needed try it for myself since I sold my Corvette C7 since the top off experience was terrible. Anyway, we test drove a Cab and then a Targa and we almost found the experience to be almost too much lacking in regards to wind. It was a hot day and unless we put the windows down there was almost no wind in the cockpit. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'9" if it matters - the seats in the Corvette could be set as low compared to the Porsche so that may be the reason. And the test drive we took in the Targa was a long one with speeds up to 75 so the moral of the story is don't listen to what others say and take a test drive to decide for yourself.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:51 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

This is the internet so everyone has an opinion. Sometimes they're even based on facts.

I have a Targa and find top-down on the freeway remarkably calm. Listening to the radio or talking to a passenger are both doable - even simultaneously!

DaveGee
Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
This is the internet so everyone has an opinion. Sometimes they're even based on facts.

I have a Targa and find top-down on the freeway remarkably calm. Listening to the radio or talking to a passenger are both doable - even simultaneously!

DaveGee
Well said!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:58 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee

DaveGee
Absolutely!

Quick Reply: 991.1 Targa price and driving questions!