Sponsored by:

Why I ordered a 911.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Why I ordered a 911.....

This article is spot on why I passed on M5 F90, which I test drove several times and came away bored and feeling of numb drive. I guess that is exactly what BMW is going for these days

http://www.thedrive.com/news/24140/b...rs-were-better
Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny ... but true. I really believe BMWs are built to expire around year 3 or 4 of their life and are best as leased vehicles so you don't have to deal with their horrendous reliability. Exactly what they want I'm sure.

Horribly built cars ... looking to replace my X5 soon. Problem is there isn't much that is better than the X5 on the market.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i use to have a E63 M6. I pick that over the 997S because of the V10 engine (probably the last chance I can drive a car with a V-10 unless I go with a Lambo)

You def want to lease those (and not buy them new) or buy them used (which is what i did, a 3 year used for about half the MSRP price)

the 911S is a longer lasting car (look at how many E63 M6 that's out there......not a lot....and when you see one.....they are butchered out with spinners and chromed 24in rims and loud fart can ebay exhaust LOL)....you almost NEVER see a 911 in that form because all the old 911s still cost an arm and a leg, with the exception of the 996s

The BMWs M are nice cars (I had a Z4M roadster before the M6) but is not something that I would keep for long term
Old 10-10-2018, 04:16 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Funny ... but true. I really believe BMWs are built to expire around year 3 or 4 of their life and are best as leased vehicles so you don't have to deal with their horrendous reliability. Exactly what they want I'm sure.

Horribly built cars ... looking to replace my X5 soon. Problem is there isn't much that is better than the X5 on the market.
Have you looked at the Macan or Cayenne? I had an MBZ GL and dumped it as it got real expensive to repair and the Macan S was perfect. Although my wife didn't want the MBZ to go, I can't get the keys to the Macan!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
This article is spot on why I passed on M5 F90, which I test drove several times and came away bored and feeling of numb drive. I guess that is exactly what BMW is going for these days

http://www.thedrive.com/news/24140/b...rs-were-better
Why were you even cross shopping a 2 ton plus sedan with a sports car? If you were, that just shows you how good the BMW is. The M5 and 911 are apples and screws.
Comparing the E46 CSL to an F80 is the same as everyone saying an air cooled is the only Porsche and that the 991 is a porker and electric steering feel is horse sxxx....who needs airbags and ABS?
I remember when the E46 came out and everyone wanted the E30 back. Every generation is nostalgic for their youth.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 425 Posts

Did the same Cyberbug .. drove the M5 F90 and was not as impressed as I had hoped...and I really wanted to like that car.

3Series does make a good point. Its really an apples vs oranges between the two. IMHO, there is still alot of E39 Series hangover. I had my e39 for 13 years. Its right up there with my 911 as most favorite ride.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Why were you even cross shopping a 2 ton plus sedan with a sports car? If you were, that just shows you how good the BMW is. The M5 and 911 are apples and screws.
Comparing the E46 CSL to an F80 is the same as everyone saying an air cooled is the only Porsche and that the 991 is a porker and electric steering feel is horse sxxx....who needs airbags and ABS?
I remember when the E46 came out and everyone wanted the E30 back. Every generation is nostalgic for their youth.
New BMW's don't work as good as they used to. They're a lot more glitchy but I'll give BMW a pass and blame it on government regulations.

When shopping for a 991.2 in the beginning stages, I was also considering an F10 M5 because I'm a big fan of both. I eventually became dead set on the 991.2 GTS and the Bimmer was a long lost memory. Here's what went through my head:

Resale.. Nobody, no matter how wealthy they whose worked for their money wants to take a hit that huge.

Bland.. While this is a pro and a con, If I'm spending upwards of 100k. I want something that's gonna show for it. Any poser with a basic 5 series can slap on parts to make it look like yours.

Glitchy nannies.. Have you ever tried launching an F10? It's one hell of a process.. Then it works 5% of the time because of all the traction and stability nannies.

Interior.. Materials used inside are cheap. It's creaky and the fit and finish doesn't match the Porsche. Bimmer interiors wear out fast.

With all that said, I still love the F10 M5.. Just some reasons why I chose the Porsche and maybe OP as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Have you looked at the Macan or Cayenne? I had an MBZ GL and dumped it as it got real expensive to repair and the Macan S was perfect. Although my wife didn't want the MBZ to go, I can't get the keys to the Macan!
The Cayenne is very very over priced for what you get. Definitely not a fan of it. The Macan is great but too small to be an effective family vehicle.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
initially I was looking for a 4 door sports sedan, so I can 4-5 ppl along for the ride. I was looking at E63s and M5. E63S is very harsh and reliability is questionable and M5 was such a disappointing ride. Drove a Cayman S and loved it, then Carrera S which was so grown up compared to Cayman and loved it.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by k997

The X5 isn't exactly a beacon of reliability. A coworker's X5M supposedly requires new plugs with each oil change. That's just crazy.
On the other hand the wife and I DD 2 2011s and super happy with them, very reliable and recently picked up a 2013 M3 to enjoy the NA V8 and hydraulic steering rack.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I want my E3 Bavaria back. I don’t even like the E30. Give me a big six and a stick or a 2002. Or maybe an E39 M5.

E36 are crap, E46 are crap, E60 are crap (had one that was lemon lawed), I have not even looked at a new one in 15 years. My colleague got a new M3. Interesting car and fast and still has a stick, but not my bag.

I ordered a 991.2 GT3 because, even if it’s not the last NA manual, it’s the last one with a moderate amount of tech and emissions junk, and after not getting a few cars while I could I was not going to do my usual sit around and wait for the used car factory to provide me with the perfect car.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The X5 isn't exactly a beacon of reliability. A coworker's X5M supposedly requires new plugs with each oil change. That's just crazy.
On the other hand the wife and I DD 2 2011s and super happy with them, very reliable and recently picked up a 2013 M3 to enjoy the NA V8 and hydraulic steering rack.
I have a 2016 x5m with 22k miles and it has been bulletproof. had 3 oil changes, never had any spark plugs needed, this is how silly fake news gets spread.
Also have a 4 yr old '15 m3 with 37k miles and it has been bulletproof. spark plugs at every 30k miles
bimmerpost has plenty of examples of high mileage versions of these cars with no issues whatsoever.

I actually find more problems on this forum than the m3 forums I frequent. considering the low volume of 991's out there, it is quite disconcerting and makes me think twice about my 991.2 on order.

Quick Reply: Why I ordered a 911.....