Sponsored by:

Tire Totes for 305 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
LOL!!!! Nobody every accused me of over thinking anything!!! Thanks bud!!

However, just following the Tire rack recommendations: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=37

Since heat and exposure to the elements are the important factors that influence a tire's aging process, drivers can prolong their tire's life by minimizing their impact. Here are some tips for storing tires that will not be used continuously.
  • Don't store a vehicle with weight on its tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives that flex the tires and help maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.
  • Keep the tires out of direct sunlight whenever possible. The sun's ultraviolet rays and radiant heat are detrimental to rubber. We have used a pyrometer to measure tires that were simply sitting in direct sunlight on a parked vehicle. Surprisingly those tires' temperatures measured 135° Fahrenheit on their surface.
  • Before storing, use a tire brush to clean each tire with soap and water to remove brake dust, dirt and grime. If the tires are still mounted on wheels, use a wheel brush to clean the wheels with an approved cleaner as well. Dry with a towel and let any remaining moisture thoroughly evaporate.
    DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
  • Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.
  • ... (more)
Interesting.I've been storing tires in my garage for 30+ years and have never had a problem. Usually cleaned and usually bagged. I use tire dressing and have a couple of cars that never go inside......no problems.
Now I think Tirerack is overthinking it!!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
I have used the tirerack ones on 305's
I have stored my 305's in the Tire Rack version for the past two winters and they will go back into them in a month or so.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered a set from Suncoast after talking to them today - thanks for all the feedback!

Quick Reply: Tire Totes for 305 Tires