Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey COBB Tuning! Get in here! 991.2 Questions and Feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Looks like Cobb is more interested in the Macan market than the 911 Carrera.. What a shame! They even got stage 2 and 3!

https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-m...he-shelf-maps/
As far as the Macan is concerned, I worked with Mitch and the Porsche team used my car to develop the tune for the 3.6. In October 2015, the team read out our DME and took the data back to their workstations. From October 2015 to May 2016 they reverse engineered the programming, develop the tools necessary to program the car and began the calibration process. They validated the process for several months then released the programming to the public.

After release of the product, the Porsche team continued to work on the access to the DME, further developing more and more tables to gain the control they need to refine the calibration strategy. With that being said, COBB has much more time with the Macan, which equals more control over the DME and more intimacy with their calibration strategy.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Cheshi: Gonna have to call you out on your comment. "If Cobb (or another tuner) were to have even 5% market penetration in any of the P-car chassis, they would be ecstatic. The truth is however that they will never likely see anything close to this."

Simple math will tell you that someone has a big chunk of the tuning business for 991.2 Carrera's because there are perhaps 5 known companies that are selling the tune and are advertising the ability to crack the ECU.
If you know of more than 5 please list them. I think there is a thread on this already. GIAC, McChip, Cobb, FVD, and lets say there are another half dozen.. If there are 10 then someone has to have at least 10% of the tuning market. And who knows how many of these little boutique tuners are actually sending their ECU's to Cobb or some other major outfit to actually crack the code?

Cobb clearly has the market share of the 991.2 platform and they do whatever they want whenever they feel like it.. Sucks, but thats how it is until they get some legitimate competition..
Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

I'm giving up on COBB and scheduled a custom dyno tune with Hydra Motor Works. Will do a before dyno with the stage 1 Cobb ots and an after with the custom tune via Hydra...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:19 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

FLSU: I would be very interested in seeing the results.. Very.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
FLSU: I would be very interested in seeing the results.. Very.
I will post as soon as I get them.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

@PTS-BRG

First and foremost, I have been told personally by members of the Porsche team that if they could get 5% penetration of the market share on the Macan and 991.2, they would be ecstatic. They may be the most prominent tuner offering calibration for the platform at this time, and it is more than likely they have the most seat time attempting to push the platform even further.

Market share as far as Cobb is mentioning pertains to the total number of sales of cars in North America, not the number of tunes that are sold as a whole. There is a such thing as unrealized market.

Yes, there are about 10 individual solutions, but how many of those do you think are truly unique, or just many companies using the same solution? On day one that the first tuning solution was released (about 53 weeks ago) I have several of my contacts hit me up to see if I wanted to program my car.

Let us get back to the real issue that you guys are concerned about which is a tune optimized for your individual hardware upgrade choices.

Modern manufacturing techniques have led to several companies being able to bring hardware to the market much sooner than others. We have no less than 4 different header solutions for the 991.2, and each of them were developed without a software solution in place.

Building a set of headers, test pipes or high flow catalysts is not rocket science, scan the product, import the scan into your favorite CAD program and manipulate the product until you achieve a design in which you think will set you apart from the rest. From there you can export the file to a desktop 3D printer and rapid prototype a part to test fit. Once the part is fitted, you can decide on a manufacturing route to take. We all know this and are able to watch it take place in real time.

If you want a custom tune, you are going to have to pay the man, and pay him again, and pay him again. It may come in the form of $$, or perhaps giving him a marketing edge, or perhaps a nice dinner or bottle of whiskey or what not.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
At this point I wouldnt hold your breath....they have said "in a few weeks" for months now.... think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a custom tune from Hydra Motors in West Palm.
If you wanted it bad enough, your car would be on a flatbed heading to Plano TX or Mitch would be on a flight to your nearest airport. That is the price to pay if you want exclusivity.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Way to backpedal.

we aren’t talking about 5% market share of all cars sold in North America. We aren’t taking about 5% of cars sold in Europe or China either.

This thread is a discussion on tuning 991.2 cars and who has the largest market share of tunes on the 991.2 platform. Tuned 991.2 are a very small percentage of the overall global sales so to suggest that we were discussiing 5% of North American sales is absurd. And where did North America even come up? Why not sales from everywhere?

in any event, I will stand by my position that COBB has the vast majority of tunes for the 991.2 market and more than any other tuning company. Certainly more than 5% of the tuning market for this platform. They are slow as hell to release updates and have broken promises repeatedly on release dates.

My ECU is cracked now and any mook with a laptop can make a custom tune now. My patience is running thin and if a stage 2 or custom tuner can get a solid tune out there I have no problem jumping ship. This is BS.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Way to backpedal.

we aren’t talking about 5% market share of all cars sold in North America. We aren’t taking about 5% of cars sold in Europe or China either.

This thread is a discussion on tuning 991.2 cars and who has the largest market share of tunes on the 991.2 platform. Tuned 991.2 are a very small percentage of the overall global sales so to suggest that we were discussiing 5% of North American sales is absurd. And where did North America even come up? Why not sales from everywhere?

in any event, I will stand by my position that COBB has the vast majority of tunes for the 991.2 market and more than any other tuning company. Certainly more than 5% of the tuning market for this platform. They are slow as hell to release updates and have broken promises repeatedly on release dates.

My ECU is cracked now and any mook with a laptop can make a custom tune now. My patience is running thin and if a stage 2 or custom tuner can get a solid tune out there I have no problem jumping ship. This is BS.
I quoted market share in my post as it pertains to my conversations with Mitch, Jon and Joe. Fly them out to do your tune, they flew to my city, I picked the three of them up at the airport and took them to the dyno to tune my car along with two other Macans. They returned twice to further refine the product. They have continued to refine the product.

Please do not turn this into some sort of confrontational type of response. I am only sharing the facts as I know them from my own personal experience.

In my opinion, no tuner has demonstrated enough control over the DME for me to request anything other than OTS at this time. They may have the control, they just have not demonstrated it. COBB has tuned a car to 605WHP with hybrid turbos, and a GTS to 550WHP (Mustang Dyno, World Performance wind tunnel dyno) which is a positive sign, I just want to see the performance results duplicated on another car.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 630 Posts

Let me start by saying I love COBB. Their Access port was and still is the game changer. The Access port. Not their tune.

As far as I am concerned, all of their superiority is the Access Port. It data logs, it clears codes, it allows you to store custom tunes, and it allows very fast flash back to stock. All of these things are 100% fantastic and the best out there.

However, their canned tunes are reserved. Nothing really that special about the tunes them self.

I'll put it this way, The instant COBB release Pro-Tune (The ability for custom tuners to tune your car via the AP) that will be the moment I delete all COBB tunes Stage 1 , Stage 2 and Stage 3.

Other than their fantastic access port, the moment Pro-Tune is released, its COBB Who?

I 100% will pay my guy many hours on the dyno and many data logs to refine and perfect a tune, for all of my situtions, including Full E85, Part E85 and various track tunes and maybe a Wife tune. LOL.

I'll say again, the COBB access port is without equal. A canned tune is nothing that special. But we are beggers at present. We want stage 2......Then we either want Pro-tune or Stage 3. We are at Cobbs mercy.

But once they release Pro-Tune, very few are interested in stage 2 and Stage 3.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
If you wanted it bad enough, your car would be on a flatbed heading to Plano TX or Mitch would be on a flight to your nearest airport. That is the price to pay if you want exclusivity.
Cobb isnt the only one out there that can do a custom tune. I'm confident in Hydra..... Still dont see why Cobb wont at least release the pro tuner..
Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

This page is showing Cobb stage 2 information for the Carrera and Carrera S. No stage 2 info on the GTS yet. Looks like headers, and high flow cats required.

​​​​​​https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...rera+Map+Notes
Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 630 Posts

I don't know why COBB doesn't charge a small fee for the next Stage to help with costs and give them an incentive to get it out faster. Even $50 or $100. Would be enough to employ someone to work on it and get it done.

Or just release Pro-Tuning and be done with it. The conservative guys will wait. The hard core guys will be out on the bleeding edge.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:02 AM
2FAST455
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m waiting and hoping for Ecutek to come out with their tuning.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

My ECU is cracked now and any mook with a laptop can make a custom tune now.
Hopefully the mook knows how an engine works, understands something about the combustion process and how it is affected by ignition timing, air-fuel ratio, cam phasing, intake air temperature, fuel pressure, as well as comprehending turbocharger compressor and turbine characteristics.

If I were you, I'd look for a mook who double majored in computer programming AND engine design, before I let him even look at my expensive 991.2 engine.

Quick Reply: Hey COBB Tuning! Get in here! 991.2 Questions and Feedback.