DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts
Default DSC Sport V3 Control Module

https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991

Does this device come with some default settings where you can plug and drive or is this something you must fine tune before using? Mainly interested in street use in the beginning.

If deciding to change some settings on your own, is this something you can plug into your PC and dial in your own settings or should it be taken to a professional?

What's the difference between the V2 and V3?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991

Does this device come with some default settings where you can plug and drive or is this something you must fine tune before using? Mainly interested in street use in the beginning.

If deciding to change some settings on your own, is this something you can plug into your PC and dial in your own settings or should it be taken to a professional?

What's the difference between the V2 and V3?
Yes - the DSC V3 comes with a profile for both Normal and Sport modes and you don't need to do anything to get started (other than specify when you order what vehicle it's going into as there are different "default profiles" for different vehicles). And also "yes" - there is software that you can use to access the profiles and make changes if down the road you decide there are things you want that are different than the default profiles. In general the default profiles start out with a softer ride than the "stock" PASM settings but stiffen up dynamically to give you that elusive combination of a better ride with better handling on an "as needed" basis. I think that DSC Sport has been very helpful to users who want to fine tune the settings and there are users who post their settings for others to try. The software allows you to save a profile before making changes so if you don't like your changes you can just reload the original profile.

As I recall reading posts by DSC Sport, the V3 (compared to the V2) has additional computing power to be able to take averaged data from vehicle sensors and split it into individual "per shock" data so that each shock can be individually "tuned" for optimum handling dynamically. I believe the V3 is now the only current version of the module as it can do everything the V2 could do - and more.

I installed a V3 on my 991.2 TTS a couple of weeks ago and love it.

Last edited by JR956678; 10-03-2018 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
roketman (06-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

JR956678:

What changes have you seen in your car with the install of the DSC Sport V3 ? I have a 991.2 Base Convertible and I've been debating on installing one. Don't track the car and it's mostly a daily driver. Once in a while I will have some opportunity to go into some winding roads were I can take more advantage of the properties of the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:03 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a bypass mode so one can A/B the difference - I assume its via laptop and OBD and not via PCM menu integration?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
JR956678:

What changes have you seen in your car with the install of the DSC Sport V3 ? I have a 991.2 Base Convertible and I've been debating on installing one. Don't track the car and it's mostly a daily driver. Once in a while I will have some opportunity to go into some winding roads were I can take more advantage of the properties of the car.
The most obvious change is that the ride in Normal mode is "softer". Not wallowy but more like say a Panamara or other sport sedan. But at the same time there's little / no body roll in cornering or nose dive on braking (or squat on acceleration). It's a little bit strange in that with the softer ride you'd expect some side effects that are absent. Prior to installing I found Sport mode just a bit "nervous" and needlessly stiff (unless you're pushing in the twisties) but DSC Sport mode takes that nervous feeling away and Sport mode is very comfortable even as a daily option. The DSC V3 implements a g-force table that stiffens things up - considerably more than stock - when you start to push the car.

In my opinion there's a great benefit to a daily driver / street car because you get the suspension compliance without sacrificing the performance when pushed. As in your case, I don't track my car and probably never will but I love the ride and comfort coupled with the knowledge that if I do push it I won't be able to "over drive" the suspension - it will just stiffen up automatically in response to what I might ask it to do.

Last edited by JR956678; 10-04-2018 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JR956678:
Graham (09-16-2021), roketman (04-25-2023)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:55 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by blurum
Is there a bypass mode so one can A/B the difference - I assume its via laptop and OBD and not via PCM menu integration?
There is some connection to the PCM in that when you change modes the car PCM indicates mode change - via the lights on the console PDCC button and on the multi-function display. The actual connection between the DSC module and a laptop is via a USB cable directly between the DSC module and the laptop (OBD is not used for this). I left a USB cable plugged in and coiled up under the "carpet" so I don't have to pull the controller out to plug into the rear USB port - just in case I want to access it for any reason.

As far as I know there's no bypass mode. All of the PASM components (shocks and motor mounts) are controlled by a PASM controller that is replaced by the DSC V3. I wouldn't call this a "bypass" mode but there is a failure mode that makes everything full stiff - so you know if a shock has failed for example - the stock module would simply ignore the failure and you might not even know about it. I suppose it would be possible to program one of the profiles to emulate what the stock controller does so you could do an A/B kind of test but at least for me - it was never very hard to tell the difference - it was pretty immediately obvious.

The way I look at this is that Porsche has built a ton of capability into the platform - adjustable shocks and motor mounts - and includes sensors that detect what the car and suspension components are doing (including a 3 axis accelerometer) - and then puts in a controller that does little more than pick a static setting for stiffness that runs all the time on all 4 corners no matter what the car is actually being called upon to do. So much capability is left on the table and not used. The DSC V3 controller uses this data to actively manage the car's suspension and allows the car to run stiffer than Sport mode and softer than Normal mode and make the adjustments on demand / when needed.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

+1 on this. Best mod and the guys at TPC are fantastic to deal with. Great customer service so buy directly from them.
roketman (06-10-2023)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

getting tempted with this $1300 mod. and if it can prevent teeth from cracking on the Belt pkwy or BQE in NYC then its a keeper. In all seriousness, this sounds like a mod that improves quality of experience. I have an active suspension on my Golf R and if this is similar with regards to a "firm compliance"then worth looking into. I don't track yet so DD is my primary use case. good idea to leave a long USB cable tucked away by one of the posters.
Sounds like the DME and other controllers don't need to be actively told about the new controller swap either.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

getting tempted with this $1300 mod. and if it can prevent teeth from cracking on the Belt pkwy or BQE in NYC then its a keeper. In all seriousness, this sounds like a mod that improves quality of experience. I have an active suspension on my Golf R and if this is similar with regards to a "firm compliance"then worth looking into. I don't track yet so DD is my primary use case. good idea to leave a long USB cable tucked away by one of the posters.
Sounds like the DME and other controllers don't need to be actively told about the new controller swap either.
I live in NY and know what you mean - and it is not just the BQE and Belt! JR's description of what the DSC does is spot on. I was an early adopter, as I have the V2.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Is there a bypass mode so one can A/B the difference
Originally Posted by JR956678
As far as I know there's no bypass mode.
I suppose it would be possible to program one of the profiles to emulate what the stock controller does so you could do an A/B kind of test but at least for me - it was never very hard to tell the difference - it was pretty immediately obvious.
JR956678 is correct, there is no bypass mode for the DSC. He is also correct that the DSC can be programmed by the user to simulate the factory PASM characteristics but such programming will take a lot of time to do. It would be a lot easier just to swap the control boxes for A/B comparison. If the car is a coupe, without roll bar installed, the swap only takes 2 minutes, no tools required.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
The way I look at this is that Porsche has built a ton of capability into the platform - adjustable shocks and motor mounts - and includes sensors that detect what the car and suspension components are doing (including a 3 axis accelerometer) - and then puts in a controller that does little more than pick a static setting for stiffness that runs all the time on all 4 corners no matter what the car is actually being called upon to do. So much capability is left on the table and not used. The DSC V3 controller uses this data to actively manage the car's suspension and allows the car to run stiffer than Sport mode and softer than Normal mode and make the adjustments on demand / when needed.
Well said, Sir! Thank you for your support. We are very glad you are happy with your DSC V3.
Fun fact- the factory ride height sensors are extremely accurate. It will detect 1mm of movement if put my palm on the car and lean on it a little. This live data can be viewed via DSC software(Tools>Record Data>Text), and of course DSC puts this live data to good use.
roketman (06-10-2023)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Good info guys.

Question: Will reduced squat upon launch and acceleration induce more wheel spin? I thought rear end squat upon launch is necessary for traction. Please educate me!

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in this mod.

Last edited by mtksurfj; 10-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Good info guys.

Question: Will reduced squat upon launch and acceleration induce more wheel spin? I thought rear end squat upon launch is necessary for traction. Please educate me!

Thanks!
The force that causes the rear end squat is still there pushing down on the rear end of the car.
The car just doesnt compress the springs as much as the shocks are stiffer.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:23 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Are the actual PASM dampers (part numbers) identical between a 991.2 base, S, and GTS, and the 'matching' of the spring rates to damper tuning 100% software?

If so, would interchanging OEM springs between the different trim levels AND having matching damper rates on a DSC equipped car be as simple as loading the appropriate map after a spring change? eg: swap on GTS springs on a base car, then load the DSC GTS map, and no need for damper changes to have matched shocks?

Just trying to understand this a bit better...

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module