Sponsored by:

Speed vs Rpm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I would like to ask the opposite question.

What are the MINIMUM RPMs that the 991 should be run in each gear. My 74 914, 87 911, 89 911 and 95 993 manuals all clearly articulated minimum RPMs in each gear before the driver is DRAGGING in each gear. My 2013 C2 991 had PDK but my 2015 991 GTS has 7 MT and the manual does not refer to the minima.

Can anyone kindly supply this information that I missed for the MT 991.

Thank you so much for providing the information kindly.
If you want to avoid turbo lag in a 991.2, you should keep the revs above 3000 rpm. However, with this modern engine design, I don't think you have to worry about lugging the engine at low rpm. After all, peak torque is stated at 1700 rpm, so the engine can clearly take full throttle at that speed. And presumably, on the dynamometer when they determined that figure, they applied full throttle at 1500 rpm or even less.

So it's just a question of whether you're in a hurry or in traffic conditions where turbo lag is not an issue.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Keep in mind that drag coefficient is only one component of aerodynamic drag. The other is the cross sectional area of the car, known as frontal area. Drag coefficient indicates how smooth a hole you are punching in the air. Frontal area indicates how large that hole is. Total aerodynamic drag is called drag area, and it is Cd x FA.

So the GTS is aerodynamically worse than a base car or an S in two ways. It has both a higher Cd and it also has a larger frontal area, due to the wider rear fenders.

Also, earlier someone had stated that required horsepower goes up with the square of speed. It actually goes up with cube of speed. That's because drag increases with the square of speed, but power is drag times speed, hence the third power.
Sorry Valve.....but you are mistaken on both points. The drag coefficient on any object includes both "skin drag" as you have suggested as well as "form drag" which includes the shape of the object. The only question is if the drag coefficient reported by Porsche is with the spoiler up or down. The drag coefficient is ALWAYS associated with the shape of the object or frontal area.

On the second point, I believe you are are getting laminar and turbulent flow mixed up to come up with the cube. Drag forces due to laminar flow (directly proportional to speed) and turbulent flow (directly proportional to the square of the speed) are not multiplied to obtain a cube of the speed. Also, drag is not the same as the drag coefficient which may be confusing the discussion a bit. Unless I made a mistake in interpreting your post.....entirely possible since I am two drinks in tonight and apparently really really bored. lol. Back to my Malbec.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:51 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I would like to ask the opposite question.

What are the MINIMUM RPMs that the 991 should be run in each gear. My 74 914, 87 911, 89 911 and 95 993 manuals all clearly articulated minimum RPMs in each gear before the driver is DRAGGING in each gear. My 2013 C2 991 had PDK but my 2015 991 GTS has 7 MT and the manual does not refer to the minima.

Can anyone kindly supply this information that I missed for the MT 991.

Thank you so much for providing the information kindly.
This is a much better question. I always feel like I am lugging my engine if I shift when the up indicator tells me to. I think Porsche is going after MPG rather than long term engine reliability.....kinda like the auto start function.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Sorry Valve.....but you are mistaken on both points. The drag coefficient on any object includes both "skin drag" as you have suggested as well as "form drag" which includes the shape of the object. The only question is if the drag coefficient reported by Porsche is with the spoiler up or down. The drag coefficient is ALWAYS associated with the shape of the object or frontal area.

On the second point, I believe you are are getting laminar and turbulent flow mixed up to come up with the cube. Drag forces due to laminar flow (directly proportional to speed) and turbulent flow (directly proportional to the square of the speed) are not multiplied to obtain a cube of the speed. Also, drag is not the same as the drag coefficient which may be confusing the discussion a bit. Unless I made a mistake in interpreting your post.....entirely possible since I am two drinks in tonight and apparently really really bored. lol. Back to my Malbec.
You're wrong on both counts. Drag coefficient represents the aerodynamic efficiency of the SHAPE of an object. For example, a flat plate has a drag coefficient of about 1.28. It doesn't matter if the plate is 1 foot square or 3 feet on a side. However, the drag of the larger plate is nine times the drag of the smaller one because it has an area nine times as great.

As to the power, the cube function has nothing to do with laminar or turbulent flow. Neglecting Reynolds number effects, which are irrelevant at the automotive speeds we are discussing, the drag of a car = Cd x air density/2 x velocity^2 x Frontal Area. That's where your square term comes from. However, this is a drag FORCE.

POWER = FORCE x VELOCITY. Therefore, there are three velocity terms, two in the drag calculation and one in the power calculation, that determine the power required to achieve any particular speed. Hence the cubed term.

Quick Reply: Speed vs Rpm question