and the loner vehicle is.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
They tried to give me a base Macan and I said no....nothing against the Macan, in fact I have a Macan S.

The way it used to be is that your loaner was at par with your vehicle. I always had a 997 loaner when mine was in for work.

Now the bottom line is more important than customer satisfaction. When I get the survey I will mention this again.....crickets.
Give them all zeroes; that'll get their attention! The second time I got a Jetta, I gave them all zeroes. My phone rang literally within minutes of hitting the send button. The GM. I told him that I didn't like turning in a 911 and getting a VW back. Didn't have to be a 911, but something the wife might like to drive in and consider for a future purchase. Have gotten Macans, which was OK, and Cayennes, which she liked better...T
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I've literally never had a loaner before Porsche, so I'm happy with whatever they give me. I've had a cayenne and a Macan so far.

​​​​​
Old 09-21-2018, 10:19 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

My dealer said they would pick up and drop off with a flat bed (not enclosed, only Ferrari does that). Otherwise I will just sit and wait if it is a quick service or oil change. I don’t like driving other people’s cars.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Our dealer has an enclosed trailer to pick up and deliver as well. Easier to drop it off, take a loaner and then pickup after work.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM
BusDriverBob
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made an appt for my 4 year ($1500+) service 4 weeks out. No loaner. Hell, they didn't even have the parts on hand so it took 3 extra days. Still no loaner. I never get treated this poorly when I take my Hyundai "airport car" in for anything; they always put me in anything I want at the local Enterprise rental if no new G80 or G90 is available.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:04 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Caennes and macans of different flavors mostly towards low end of the lineup.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
Wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t have the numbers as don’t know anybody in the rental business but just doing some rough math I don’t know how it can be profitable to rent a car for unlimited miles for $50/day.
Not only from the wear and tear on the car itself but the op costs to actually run the business (staff, office space, lot space, liability, fleet tracking, logistics,etc).

Likely make it up on the extra insurance, gas charges and so forth.

From what I recall (long time ago), breakeven was about $900-1000 per car per month. That of course includes overhead cost of running the operation and direct cost of the cars. And this is for a rental car company renting camrys and the like. Imagine the cost of a fleet of $100,000 Porsches!

As for profit, let’s just say that the rental car companies are the largest purchaser of cars in the US for several car manufacturers. More than any dealer group. Multiple times so in some cases.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

All i can do is shake my head at some of the commentary here. they provided you with a late model, clean, porsche 718 cayman or the option of a macan, and that was somehow insufficient for a few days. that 718 would be a dream car for probably 99.9% of the worlds population but it just wasnt good enough to drive for a few days? get some perspective

I mean really, even if you get a passat or an accord, is it so awful? i mean is that like so beneath you? if its clean, operating properly, and fairly new, who really cares for a couple days.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I have gotten new Boxsters, Cayennes, and a Panamera before as loaners. I haven’t been in for service in quite a while so I haven’t had a Macan yet. The Boxster surprised me (it was the S with the previous flat six) - a lot quicker than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed the Panamera, too - great highway cruiser, fast and comfortable.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It seems the large response to my #46 post agrees with me. No one NEEDS a high-end replacement service vehicle. On the other hand @2010panny4S contends he must have an equivalent to the car he submitted for service. He also predicted that I would be dissatisfied with an older Camry that I had to use for many months. Sorry @2010panny4S , I have been there and you have not! I was run into several THOUSAND miles from home. The best thing the local dealership would give me was a 2-year-0ld Jeep which I drove home and then had to return to the local dealership immediately upon returning home. The perpetrator's insurance company rented me another old Jeep for many months. They also paid for the return flights and subsequent hotel stops to retrieve the car home for my wife and myself. They paid for my wife as well because I am 74 years of age and cannot endure long trips like you outspoken dudes. My PERPS insurance company was USAA for which I am not applicable. However, based on the service we received, I would recommend them highly if you are eligible.

I was thankful for the loaners that cost us nothing. I could not care what kind of car it was as long as it operated properly and cost us nothing. You need to take a dose of humility and drive a lesser vehicle for awhile so you can appreciate your Porsche as much as I have when I got it back. I do not drive Porsches for the image. I have had 6 only because I like them. When an adult looks at my ride and compliments it, I smile and say "thank you". When a pre-driving person (i.e., child) says the same and asks me how much it costs, I merely tell them I spent 12 years in school beyond high school being educated until I could afford it and did not purchase my first new Porsche until I was 40 and people addressed me according to my degree that did not include "MISTER"..

So, wait to demonstrate to your kids that you require upscale cars as service replacement. You can demonstrate some humility and take whatever is volunteered. Though I have purchased all my 6 Porsches from the same local dealership, I have been turned down many times for replacement. I live very contented in my own skin as you should do so as well. You can do without a Porsche for many days. Take my word, you will enjoy your Porsche much more when it is returned to you. and you can describe your kindness to your children.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

I would be happy if they could get me whatever so I can go on with day to day. Normally I drop the car and get a shuttle for a day service, more than enough for me.

Recently my lack of trust on the dealer have been forcing me to ask for a loaner. Seems if they don't have any skin in the game, they will just let your car sit in the lot for the most part. That is what they do. I can check the car dash cam remotely for images and position. It sits in the lot doing nothing and they have the nerve to say they worked all day in the car. Getting a loaner seems to press them to get things done.

Sad to have to resort to that to get things done.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

The only time I’ve been upset with a loaner with Porsche was when I got a beat Mazda 3from Enterprise. They were out of Porsches and I came in on the flatbed.

Otherwise ive had everything from a base Boxster to a base Macan to nice Panameras. I’ve always been happy to be driving a Porsche while my car is in. Drop off my VW...You get squat.

Lexus I mainly had ES’s. Which wasn’t often because that car never had an issue. The ES is a turd. Most Lexus’ are pretty boring.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I hope I never get a 718 loaner... My wife and I have driven all the other models in the lineup with the exception of the 718. I'm afraid my wife would want to get one, and dammit the garage is full. She saw a boxster spyder for the first time in person a few weeks ago and was instantly smitten.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I hope this thread dies or a moderator changes "loner" to "loaner" in the thread title. Makes my eye twitch.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
It seems the large response to my #46 post agrees with me. No one NEEDS a high-end replacement service vehicle. On the other hand @2010panny4S contends he must have an equivalent to the car he submitted for service. He also predicted that I would be dissatisfied with an older Camry that I had to use for many months. Sorry @2010panny4S , I have been there and you have not! I was run into several THOUSAND miles from home. The best thing the local dealership would give me was a 2-year-0ld Jeep which I drove home and then had to return to the local dealership immediately upon returning home. The perpetrator's insurance company rented me another old Jeep for many months. They also paid for the return flights and subsequent hotel stops to retrieve the car home for my wife and myself. They paid for my wife as well because I am 74 years of age and cannot endure long trips like you outspoken dudes. My PERPS insurance company was USAA for which I am not applicable. However, based on the service we received, I would recommend them highly if you are eligible.

I was thankful for the loaners that cost us nothing. I could not care what kind of car it was as long as it operated properly and cost us nothing. You need to take a dose of humility and drive a lesser vehicle for awhile so you can appreciate your Porsche as much as I have when I got it back. I do not drive Porsches for the image. I have had 6 only because I like them. When an adult looks at my ride and compliments it, I smile and say "thank you". When a pre-driving person (i.e., child) says the same and asks me how much it costs, I merely tell them I spent 12 years in school beyond high school being educated until I could afford it and did not purchase my first new Porsche until I was 40 and people addressed me according to my degree that did not include "MISTER"..

So, wait to demonstrate to your kids that you require upscale cars as a service replacement. You can demonstrate some humility and take whatever is volunteered. Though I have purchased all my 6 Porsches from the same local dealership, I have been turned down many times for replacement. I live very contented in my own skin as you should do so as well. You can do without a Porsche for many days. Take my word, you will enjoy your Porsche much more when it is returned to you. and you can describe your kindness to your children.
You're a funny guy, I was basically just responding to how you have generalized everyone here from your statements. How the hell do you know if I have been in that situation before or not, again.. here you are insinuating even if you don't know that person or what they've been into or encountered. I didn't predict, I asked if you would be or not. Again you do love insinuating or putting words in others mouths. You should go read your statements again bud. You seem a little butt hurt and now trying to be all high and mighty... I love again how you're calling everyone here giving their thoughts and examples as OUTSPOKEN, this IS a forum where people discuss and also speak their experience and opinions.

When I spoke about Camry, I speak on my own experience .. again your thinking is different. I have humility you turd, I started off with a beat up 79' honda CVCC and worked my self up the food chain to finally afford a Pcar then now a 911. You should take heed of your own words and have humility. Were all confortable in our own skins, we don't need to broadcast that to the public.

Sorry ahead-of-time Lex, but when I go to my dealer and he/she, nor I, can predict the length of the time for the repair, I either sit with a great book or ask for a loaner way ahead of time. Quite frankly, I could not care what they give me for transportation as long as it is transportation IF I REALLY NEED IT. It is always a Volvo or a Cayenne. I drive a glorious GTS so I am comfortable in my own skin to receive ANY loaner transportation if I NEED it. If I do not, and the predicted time is short, I am happy to sit with my book and READ.

All the complainers here want to do is Joy-Ride in a car they do not own. All I want is temporary
transportation, if truthfully needed. Try a book sometime if you are not in a rush. You may enjoy it!

Quick Reply: and the loner vehicle is.....