Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

and the loner vehicle is.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So how many 911s should a dealership have in its fleet to handle loaner usage?
That is inventory that could otherwise be sold but instead is relegated to loaner duty. Then the dealership will have to see at a steep discount (warranty punched and we all know the consensus here about buying “executive demos”).
These are all “costs” and believe it or not get passed onto us indirectly. That cost is much higher than you would think. (Depreciation, fuel, maintenance, insurance, capital costs, opportunity cost of discounted sale, etc.)

Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer to have a 911 as a loaner too....but I understand the business behind. No different than anywhere else when you buy the upper end of the spectrum. Buy a LC500 from Lexus....you aren’t getting a LC for loaner....buy a Mercedes GTS you aren’t getting anything similar as a loaner...BMW M3...likely not getting one of those either. Corvette, same story.

Reason some one get the 718 as a loaner is they can’t sell them....
Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I usually get Cayenne's, Mecan's and they actually had me have fun with a Boxster manual trans. Worst was I had to get a Camary since I didn't have a Scheduled visit... like we all have scheduled visits for big issues that just arise on these cars.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
WTF? Used cars? That's a new one.

What dealer in Houston did you use?
In Houston was momentum. Not a whole lot of options. I doubt they have done that for the past years.
The one in Durhole (actually Cary or Raleigh, I forgot) I can't remember the name.

A past SA that used to work in the local dealer was really good, true car guy. 2 years back he had me on a graphite blue 991.2 S w/ sport package, sunroof delete and PDCC. I love my convertible, but that car was so fun to drive... he's gone and so is the service quality.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

My dealer only gives Porsche’s for loaners. Macao, Cayenne or Panny. Cars are spotless. Good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM
hbear
Racer

Same here, no problems from my perspective. At worst case they will pull from the Jag dealership they own as well. But that’s typically only if they mess up and overbook the cars. (Doesn’t typically happen)
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least they gave you a Porsche! I had a Volvo.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Huh? Porsche loaners provide customers the pleasure of seeing, feeling, and enjoying what else Porsche offers. For many dealers repeat or multiple car owners are a big part of their sales.
Huh? OP DID get a Porsche loaner and is still complaining about it. But since it was a lowly PORSCHE 718 (emphasis that it was still a Porsche), he wasn't satisfied. Hence the "a little spoiled" comment. Do I expect a GT3 or even a 911 when I bring my car in? No. What about a GT2RS owner? Or a 918 owner? Should they expect an "equivalent" car? I'm just happy when the dealer doesn't send me to Enterprise lol (more of the hassle than the car). And to your point, I actually like it when I get to try a boxster or a panny.

Now, if the complaint was that he brought in a Cayenne that is used to haul stuff, and all they had was a little sports car, I would understand. Or if he used the backseats of the 991 to carry kids, and they only have a two seater. Again, valid complaint. But 911 to 718. Hmm....

Old 09-21-2018, 04:50 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Huh? OP DID get a Porsche loaner and is still complaining about it. But since it was a lowly PORSCHE 718 (emphasis that it was still a Porsche), he wasn't satisfied. Hence the "a little spoiled" comment. Do I expect a GT3 or even a 911 when I bring my car in? No. What about a GT2RS owner? Or a 918 owner? Should they expect an "equivalent" car? I'm just happy when the dealer doesn't send me to Enterprise lol (more of the hassle than the car). And to your point, I actually like it when I get to try a boxster or a panny.

Now, if the complaint was that he brought in a Cayenne that is used to haul stuff, and all they had was a little sports car, I would understand. Or if he used the backseats of the 991 to carry kids, and they only have a two seater. Again, valid complaint. But 911 to 718. Hmm....
Perhaps you should read my comment #28....before you put your foot in your mouth.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
What should the customer with a GT3 or GT2 get as a loaner then?
Those customers are already at the top end of the product line. They have always gotten the pick of the litter. They're not the ones complaining about getting a beat-up Crown Vic.

I have a C4 GTS, what should hey have for my loaner?
Whatever they would like you to buy next. A newer-gen GTS if one exists, a Panamera or a high-end Cayenne if you don't already have one of those. What's your S.O. driving these days, for that matter? The dealership should make it their business to know.

The follow up is then what business purpose does it serve to then have to discount the demo when they easily could have sold for full price?

You might as well ask why they bother spending money on any other form of advertising.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM
hbear
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You might as well ask why they bother spending money on any other form of advertising.
I see your point but the comparison in my mind is not the same given the allocations for 911s are finite. Given a relatively limited supply that frankly they can and do sell, how beneficial would it be to pull a fair number of them to create a fleet of loaners? (One needs more cars in the fleet than you would suspect)

E.g. my dealership here has no trouble selling every 911 they order (or customer orders of course). Pulling and giving up future sales (they sell all of them with no issue) to create a fleet for loaners for the sole purpose of providing those with 911s already with loaners does not help them sell more 911s. (Remember they already sell all that come in....there problem is Porsche limiting supply....even worse for GT cars)

To add, maybe my sample is small (given friends with Porsche’s, myself or the lack of real complaints on the forums) this doesn’t seem like a universal “problem” of ownership.

edit: They know I’m eyeing a GT as the next 911 if I was to purchase another.....however they don’t really need to do anything or need me to demo one to sell those.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Perhaps you should read my comment #28....before you put your foot in your mouth.
I did and I also re-read your post #1 and 5. No foot in mouth on my end. Your comments carry a sense of elitism. Whether you intended it to or not, I don't know as they are just words on a screen. But that's how it came across.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
If you don't voice your displeasure you'll just get taken advantage of going forward.

I guess I'm on my own here.....that's OK. I've trail blazed many times in my life.
Thank you for all you do.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:32 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vancouver, BC Canada. Always Base Macan
Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
I see your point but the comparison in my mind is not the same given the allocations for 911s are finite. Given a relatively limited supply that frankly they can and do sell, how beneficial would it be to pull a fair number of them to create a fleet of loaners? (One needs more cars in the fleet than you would suspect)
I agree that's a key point, how many cars would they need to set aside? At any given time the major dealer in this area has perhaps a half-dozen cars in their service bays. I don't think I've seen more than ten. Of those, maybe half will be 911s. As with most dealers, this one usually won't lend you a Porsche unless you bought your car from them (another potential marketing misstep, IMO), so that might eliminate one or two. Let's say half of the remaining customers request a loaner... no clue if that's realistic or not, but let's go with it for now. Given these numbers, IMHO it's perfectly reasonable for the dealer to keep one or two 718s, one or two Cayennes or Macans, and one or two clean late-model 911s on hand for customer use.

Remember, these guys get $300 for an oil change. They aren't in the free-loaner business, they're in the "Rent our car for $300 a day and we'll throw in a few bottles of Mobil One to sweeten the deal" business.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM
cclcal
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

im just happy they provide loaners! i really dont care what they give me as long as it runs, is problem free, and clean. i dont need a 911, i already know how it drives, i just need a car to get back home/work, if they give me a 911 or any other porsche than it's a plus!

@vodkag, audi told me the same thing many years ago, your A8 is from 2004, it is now 2010, no loaner for you. that's just terrible.

Quick Reply: and the loner vehicle is.....