Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 / SPYDER / CAYMAN S (First time buyer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 911 / SPYDER / CAYMAN S (First time buyer)

I am getting close to being in the market for my first Porsche! However looking through the forms for awhile now I would like to get some feedback from you all on your cars. Forever I was sold on a 12-16 Cayman S. Everyone said it was a great drivers car. Now that I see the market place has Spyders and 991 in my price range I wanted to ask some things. The Sypder to me has always been sexy. Like a baby CGT

Here is what I am looking for. A weekend drivers car. I love driving and would like to take it out in the back roads of Wisconsin and have a go. I live about an hour from Road America. Will not do a ton of track time however a performance driving school would be really cool and I would like to do that. Find the limits of the car in a safe environment.

That being said....from those of you that have owned one or maybe all 3 can you give me some feedback on what direction you went and why. What is it that draws you to yours?

Last edited by Vettel-ish; 09-20-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Welcome, V-ish (cool name/wrong marque, bro!);

I recently traded in a 2014 981 CS MT for a 2019 Carrera T build (supposed to be complete -V300- at the end of October...) I LOVED the Cayman. It was plenty of power for the street, wonderfully balanced, etc. All the things you hear. It also got fantastic mileage, for a performance car, and sounded great. I broke it, however, not doing anything crazy, just a little off-camber cornering and got the dreaded PADM faults that so many of us have experienced. Not as common as some of the other issues that have come along with Porsche over the years, but there are a lot of people that have had drama with that generation of PADM. It has gotten better, in my understanding, so I was less worried about newer gen PADM in the T. So, for me 991 > 981 in pretty much all ways, other than price. But you pay to play. Can't speak to the Spyder, other than seen them. Beautiful cars, but depending on your track, you may have drama trying to take it out on one.

One other thing that may become more and more clear over time to you, like many of us though, there are Porsche's and then there are 911 Porsche's. It may matter little to you now, and it may become something that bugs you after a while. Should it, probably not. But something to think about. As I said, I LOVED that Cayman. But I know I will love this 911 even more.

Good luck with the decision, this being RL you'll get some other ideas, and ultimately while they might help, you are the one looking back at yourself in that rear view driving whatever it is you choose!

Stacy

Last edited by S S; 09-20-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by S S
Welcome, V-ish (cool name/wrong marque, bro!);

I recently traded in a 2014 981 CS MT for a 2019 Carrera T build (locks at the end of October...) I LOVED the Cayman. It was plenty of power for the street, wonderfully balanced, etc. All the things you hear. It also got fantastic mileage, for a performance car, and sounded great. I broke it, however, not doing anything crazy, just a little off-camber cornering and got the dreaded PADM faults that so many of us have experienced. Not as common as some of the other issues that have come along with Porsche over the years, but there are a lot of people that have had drama with that generation of PADM. It has gotten better, in my understanding, so I was less worried about newer gen PADM in the T. So, for me 991 > 981 in pretty much all ways, other than price. But you pay to play. Can't speak to the Spyder, other than seen them. Beautiful cars, but depending on your track, you may have drama trying to take it out on one.

One other thing that may become more and more clear over time to you, like many of us though, there are Porsche's and then there are 911 Porsche's. It may matter little to you now, and it may become something that bugs you after a while. Should it, probably not. But something to think about. As I said, I LOVED that Cayman. But I know I will love this 911 even more.

Good luck with the decision, this being RL you'll get some other ideas, and ultimately while they might help, you are the one looking back at yourself in that rear view driving whatever it is you choose!

Stacy
Thank you Stacy.

I have heard the dont buy a Porsche unless its a 911 and you know what, I get that. However I feel like I see 20-30 911 through out the summer and only 1-5 Caymans and even less Spyders. It would be neat to own something a bit different I guess. Thank you for the input. Cant wait to see pics of the T. Congratulations.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:25 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks, mano! And completely agree with you on the more 911s (particularly black ones!) over Caymans over Spyders. If that is what drives you, pun intended, then that is the right answer. In the end, these are toys, and few of us make a living with or using them. So, getting something, no matter what it is, that you love and love driving is more important than just about anything else. Enjoy the hunt!

S
Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

My recommendation is to go to a dealer and drive all three. There is something about a 911 that is very special. I do a fair amount of track days and am always bothered by how quick the Cayman S is in the corners though. I am sure that any of the three you have targeted will enhance spirited driving on the Wisconsin back roads. It is a matter of what you like and feel comfortable with.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I own a 991.2 and a 981 Boxster S. Driven about 10 other Porsches (most on a track). You will get a lot of different perspectives with your question. My views may be controversial.

For a weekend fun car, I would get the Spyder. I think it is the best looking Porsche under 400k. Nothing is better than top down cruising with a 3.8L NA engine whaling behind your ear. It's a manual, mid-engine, 2 seater.....the perfect sports car in my view. It handles superbly. On the other hand, you live in Wisconsin where a convertible will get less use and the top is a bit of a pain to some since it is manual and takes about 2 minutes to operate. I prefer driving my Boxster over my 911. I think the days of the 911 being the only Porsche to buy are just flat wrong and old school thinking. Those days ended with the 987 and were totally washed away with the 981 GT4/Spyder.

The 911 is the icon with more prestige (but I guarantee you the Spyder will garner more head turns if you like that stuff). It also has 4 seats and all that rear end grip coming out of a turn is fantastic.

The Cayman is great too. (aren't they all?) for many of the same reasons as the Spyder. They are all very different cars and experiences. Drive them all if you can.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
My recommendation is to go to a dealer and drive all three. There is something about a 911 that is very special. I do a fair amount of track days and am always bothered by how quick the Cayman S is in the corners though. I am sure that any of the three you have targeted will enhance spirited driving on the Wisconsin back roads. It is a matter of what you like and feel comfortable with.
Good advice thank you! Not sure we have a dealer that will have all 3 but I can do some searching.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by subshooter
I own a 991.2 and a 981 Boxster S. Driven about 10 other Porsches (most on a track). You will get a lot of different perspectives with your question. My views may be controversial.

For a weekend fun car, I would get the Spyder. I think it is the best looking Porsche under 400k. Nothing is better than top down cruising with a 3.8L NA engine whaling behind your ear. It's a manual, mid-engine, 2 seater.....the perfect sports car in my view. It handles superbly. On the other hand, you live in Wisconsin where a convertible will get less use and the top is a bit of a pain to some since it is manual and takes about 2 minutes to operate. I prefer driving my Boxster over my 911. I think the days of the 911 being the only Porsche to buy are just flat wrong and old school thinking. Those days ended with the 987 and were totally washed away with the 981 GT4/Spyder.

The 911 is the icon with more prestige (but I guarantee you the Spyder will garner more head turns if you like that stuff). It also has 4 seats and all that rear end grip coming out of a turn is fantastic.

The Cayman is great too. (aren't they all?) for many of the same reasons as the Spyder. They are all very different cars and experiences. Drive them all if you can.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

Thank you for the feedback. If you had to pick one...?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
...all that rear end grip coming out of a turn is fantastic.
Very true.

I'd never driven a 911 until last month. Was test driving a 991.1 C4S. Took it on the usual short route near the dealerships. That route has two wicked turns. The first of those turns I've never taken faster than 48 without PSM stepping in to correct. As I was not familiar with the car, and definitely not used to driving a PDK, I was going faster than intended as I got ready to take the corner. When I looked down from making sure no one was coming from the other direction I was going 53. Too late to brake so I decided to hold my line and let PSM reel me in. Didn't happen. I just waltzed right on through. Might as well have been going 25. Crazy.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Thank you for the feedback. If you had to pick one...?
Were you not in Wisconsin I'd say Spyder all day long. Heck, even being in Wisconsin I'd say Spyder since it is just for weekend driving. Of those three the Spyder is the driver's car.

Don't get me wrong; all three are amazing. But the Spyder is special.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought my '12 Cayman S was the best car I ever had, at least until I bought my CPO '13 C2S. Places where the Cayman would lose a little traction, the 911 just puts the power down.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I've owned all three. At the same time. '14 Cayman S, '14 991S and '16 Spyder. If you place a premium on grip, turn in and absolute pace, get a SPASM 911. If you want to save a few $ and have a car that feels eminently tossable and go-kart like and want a tin top for the track, get a Cayman S with the X73 suspension. If you want a drop top with an awesome manual transmission, glorious sound and more power than the Cayman, get the Spyder. Personally, of the three, the 991S and the Spyder were my favorites, and the Spyder is the only one I still own. But I don't think it would be my choice if my usage was either long distance cruising or significant track time.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Were you not in Wisconsin I'd say Spyder all day long. Heck, even being in Wisconsin I'd say Spyder since it is just for weekend driving. Of those three the Spyder is the driver's car.

Don't get me wrong; all three are amazing. But the Spyder is special.
Yeah not a huge fan of the drop top however... that car is stunning to look at.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've owned all three. At the same time. '14 Cayman S, '14 991S and '16 Spyder. If you place a premium on grip, turn in and absolute pace, get a SPASM 911. If you want to save a few $ and have a car that feels eminently tossable and go-kart like and want a tin top for the track, get a Cayman S with the X73 suspension. If you want a drop top with an awesome manual transmission, glorious sound and more power than the Cayman, get the Spyder. Personally, of the three, the 991S and the Spyder were my favorites, and the Spyder is the only one I still own. But I don't think it would be my choice if my usage was either long distance cruising or significant track time.
Good feedback. Says something that the Spyder is still in the garage

Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Yeah not a huge fan of the drop top however... that car is stunning to look at.
Not really even a drop top, more of a tent

Quick Reply: 911 / SPYDER / CAYMAN S (First time buyer)