Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 / SPYDER / CAYMAN S (First time buyer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Not really even a drop top, more of a tent
lol True. I think one of the only cars made that good with it up or down.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Thank you for the feedback. If you had to pick one...?
I would take the Spyder. I would get rid of my 991.2 before my Boxster too.

For me, these cars are emotional not rationale so it is about how the car makes me FEEL. NA, convertible, manual, is just intoxicating.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
Good feedback. Says something that the Spyder is still in the garage
It is and I can't imagine selling it, but I really loved the Carrera as well. I don't care for the new turbo cars, so a regular 911 is not in the cards for me anymore. I had a GT3 allocation but recently moved and don't have room for two weekend cars and I just couldn't sell the Spyder, so I let the allocation go. I would love a GT3 if I had room, but the Spyder is a great street car. Note, if you are not used to a convertible, the Spyder is a relatively loud driving experience. Very little sound deadening. If you're not into that, I'd get a Cayman or a 911.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

If this isn't going to be your last Porsche, you can always sell/trade and get your next choice.

I wanted new, specifically equipped, so used/CPO wasn't a choice (though if I had found a CPO that ticked the boxes, I would have considered it).

The 718 Cayman is a great car, and the sound they make is reminiscent of the air-cooled flat fours I heard from the 356's and up. The power they have is more than enough.

The 911 I ordered is at a different level and feel. It's not about performance because they all have so much capability.

I guess if you're willing to compromise, you will have choices. If you want specific, then your hunt is on!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 840 Likes on 439 Posts

Been in same shoe 1yr ago and went with a .1S: due to it's more powerful/planted and the iconic p-car to have, and I happend to find one really well spec'ed & look so damn good.(Lookwise my ranking is 981 spyder drop top> 991 coupe >cayman > top up boxster which of course is total personal)

I really liked 981 GTS especially the driving dynamic but found it just a little bit underpower/chassis(or tire)

After a year of owning 991, no regret but would love to try something new, so I'm thinking about getting a 981 spyder then put on a wider set of tire&a new header.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

cayman more nimble, 911 more powerful and more space.
Spyder would be fun.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Of the three I’d have to honestly say that my SPASM 991.1S was on another level than my Cayman and Spyder. It was the best of the three cars. But it was a pure performance spec.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

You have to drive all 3, period. Even if you have to travel a bit to do so. I have owned a Boxster S and a 911 Turbo and have a 911 Targa GTS on order. I love what the turbos can do and I have had my share of NA cars over the years and I now that I have driven the 991.2 I have no interest in going back. Personally, I need a manual and something with a top that opens so the choice was easy; however, I did drive them all, which again is what you need to do. And if you want to switch in a couple years go for it...you only live once and you cannot take $ with you.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Been in same shoe 1yr ago and went with a .1S: due to it's more powerful/planted and the iconic p-car to have, and I happend to find one really well spec'ed & look so damn good.(Lookwise my ranking is 981 spyder drop top> 991 coupe >cayman > top up boxster which of course is total personal)

I really liked 981 GTS especially the driving dynamic but found it just a little bit underpower/chassis(or tire)

After a year of owning 991, no regret but would love to try something new, so I'm thinking about getting a 981 spyder then put on a wider set of tire&a new header.
I think my ranking is the same after doing some reading. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You have to drive all 3, period. And if you want to switch in a couple years go for it...you only live once and you cannot take $ with you.
So true!!!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:57 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Please take the "911 is the only true Porsche" crap out of the equation! As everyone has basically said, you MUST drive them to know what you prefer! If you are buying for the prestige factor, there are other cars of other makes with more prestige.
Unfortunately it seems to me that more guys who are buying newer 911s are hung up on the prestige. NOT ALL guys are like that but it seems the majority of newer buyers with money are.
But some truly buy because they like the feel of the 911 better and that is a good thing. It is personal.
Yes a 911 is faster than a Cayman because that's the hierarchy that Porsche has in place. But why is the new "911" RSR they use in GT racing now mid-engined...?
I have owned and tracked well over 20 Porsches over the last 15-18 years. 911s, GT3s, RSs, Caymans, Boxsters, Cayenne, Macan, Spyders, GT4, etc. etc.
They are all different in many ways and it is a personal thing.
Currently I have a 987 Spyder (which is now the 2nd one I have owned) and a 911 Carrera T. Very different in so many ways!
I have struggled with the idea that if I had to only keep one....but ultimately for a weekend only car I think the Spyder is it! There is a reason why I bought a second one...and I am NOT a convertible fan overall.
987 Spyder is the best Porsche I have ever owned for overall driving experience. However the Carrera T is a great car also! You can't go wrong with either a 911 or Cayman/Spyder.
Personally I get bored with most cars after some time in general. Unless it serves a specific purpose that is hard to fill with another car, I tend to want a change.
I used to track a lot and the GT4 was a fantastic car for that. I don't track much anymore so the GT4 wasn't really the best car for what I do anymore.
The Spyder has never left me bored for weekend driving. The 987 Spyder is an event to drive. I haven't driven a 981 Spyder but I would imagine it is a great car, perhaps a cross between my GT4 and my 987 Spyder.
There are guys who will put down anything they don't personally like. The 987 Spyder was dogged by so many when it first came out....the Carrera T is currently being dogged by many...."the S is better", "anyone who buys a base 911 or T can't afford an S or GTS", "people who buy Caymans really aspire to get a 911 but they can't afford it"...etc. etc.

Go drive them all and decide for you!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Please take the "911 is the only true Porsche" crap out of the equation! As everyone has basically said, you MUST drive them to know what you prefer! If you are buying for the prestige factor, there are other cars of other makes with more prestige.
Unfortunately it seems to me that more guys who are buying newer 911s are hung up on the prestige. NOT ALL guys are like that but it seems the majority of newer buyers with money are.
But some truly buy because they like the feel of the 911 better and that is a good thing. It is personal.
Yes a 911 is faster than a Cayman because that's the hierarchy that Porsche has in place. But why is the new "911" RSR they use in GT racing now mid-engined...?
I have owned and tracked well over 20 Porsches over the last 15-18 years. 911s, GT3s, RSs, Caymans, Boxsters, Cayenne, Macan, Spyders, GT4, etc. etc.
They are all different in many ways and it is a personal thing.
Currently I have a 987 Spyder (which is now the 2nd one I have owned) and a 911 Carrera T. Very different in so many ways!
I have struggled with the idea that if I had to only keep one....but ultimately for a weekend only car I think the Spyder is it! There is a reason why I bought a second one...and I am NOT a convertible fan overall.
987 Spyder is the best Porsche I have ever owned for overall driving experience. However the Carrera T is a great car also! You can't go wrong with either a 911 or Cayman/Spyder.
Personally I get bored with most cars after some time in general. Unless it serves a specific purpose that is hard to fill with another car, I tend to want a change.
I used to track a lot and the GT4 was a fantastic car for that. I don't track much anymore so the GT4 wasn't really the best car for what I do anymore.
The Spyder has never left me bored for weekend driving. The 987 Spyder is an event to drive. I haven't driven a 981 Spyder but I would imagine it is a great car, perhaps a cross between my GT4 and my 987 Spyder.
There are guys who will put down anything they don't personally like. The 987 Spyder was dogged by so many when it first came out....the Carrera T is currently being dogged by many...."the S is better", "anyone who buys a base 911 or T can't afford an S or GTS", "people who buy Caymans really aspire to get a 911 but they can't afford it"...etc. etc.

Go drive them all and decide for you!
Great feedback. More and more pushing a 987 Spyder. Add that to the look of the thing... how can you go wrong!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Have you been reading the forum threads for the other models as well? If not I suggest you do but again and again and again, the only way to ultimately decide is by driving them.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from owning only 911's to a 987.2 Boxster S and then to a 987 Boxster Spyder. Its a special car and sounds like it would fit your needs. The only hard part is trying to find one specced the way you want. The good thing is that the market seems to have plateaued for the 987 Spyder and fall is a great time to buy a convertible.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, if you want the truest sports car, get the Cayman. If you enjoy top down motoring in a fine car, get the Boxster. But if you want a true GT, for long drives, weekend trips (or maybe even weeklong ones), the 911 is the way to go. Drive all the 3, and decide what it is you want. They are distinct vehicles. I did, and bought a 911 because I wanted a GT.

Quick Reply: 911 / SPYDER / CAYMAN S (First time buyer)