Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protection for underside of Frunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Besides the low risk of a potential dimple or nipple (I just wanted to say 'nipple'), I just like the way the underside looks with the shield. And the 991 shields look so much better than the prior lid liners, when they were the entire surface. Ours on the 991 are just the small area above the cargo hold, which makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Besides the low risk of a potential dimple or nipple (I just wanted to say 'nipple'), I just like the way the underside looks with the shield. And the 991 shields look so much better than the prior lid liners, when they were the entire surface. Ours on the 991 are just the small area above the cargo hold, which makes a lot of sense.
Worth it for me. I've packed a lot of stuff in the frunk before - I like the extra protection!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Worth it for me. I've packed a lot of stuff in the frunk before - I like the extra protection!
No argument here. I like it more for protecting against any abrading on the paint of the underside on a long road trip, then I do about dents.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Interesting post. Few thoughts:

1) Anyone who uses a CA Duster doesn't really care about their car anyways, so what would a few frunk lid dents matter.
2) Further, anyone who would keep a +$300 car cover on the bottom of their frunk cares even less.

Beware if you see in a Craig's List car add:

"Doctor owned"
"I meticulously clean my car with a California Duster"
Haha, I knew that was coming. I know dusters are frowned upon, but I only use it after the car has been wash/waxed (my washes include a wax) and has been sitting in the garage directly after (i.e wipe the dust off to “renew the clean”). Once it gets pulled out of the garage, the duster doesn’t get used. Unless maaybe it was just down the street and the car goes right back in the garage. I’ve used the softest of MF towels (which I use for washing) with such little pressure it’s just relying on the weight of itself, for the same purpose, and the duster seems a worthy equal. My paint looks showroom perfect to anyone looking at it. But to my detailed eye, I know the slight swirls that are there weren’t caused by me (I had a jet black car that accumulated zero swirls under me. Which taking it to one “hand wash” completely destroyed. Learned from that lesson). Even my brand new cars never got a swirl from me. Couldn’t say that about how they were delivered. I could use a CA duster on a car for 20 years and it wouldn’t rack up the level of swirls the dealer and/or manufactuer caused before I even got the car.

Speaking of the previous owner.. he bought the car cover. I’d never spend that money on a cover. I wouldn’t even get a cover. Dragging that thing all over your paint to try and get a snug fit (since they make it such a snug fit) is akin to using a CA duster on a car that wasn’t washed for 2 weeks then sat overnight in condensation. I used it once, and was so paranoid putting it on. Putting a metal zipper on it was a genius move on their part, btw. Nothing says “protect your paint” like the inevitable metal on metal clink as you’re trying to get the thing on.

Therfore, it’s become a $300 trunk liner. And it works great as that as it keeps everything in said trunk padded, absorbed, and sitting still in place. Which is why even if the duster handle wasn’t fortunate enough to slightly rub against the “metal padded” part of the inner hood, it would just smoosh down on the “padded” (cover) floor likely before it damaged the hood.

Not saying my dumb *** can’t find a way to eat my words. But as of now, I have other areas which take a lot more concern precedence over the inner frunk.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Lidliner
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 42 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
That was my 1st thought. Why I posted.
If it was $40, it would seem like a reasonable price for something that should have been included by Porsche, as part of the car. For a finished look & to prevent small scratches to the metal underside.
I don't mind a bare naked, sheet metal, inside lid.
The question is...it is a real possibility to literally damage the exterior side of the Front lid. Can a moment of carelessness literally spoil the front top of this beautiful car, requiring you to spend thousands at a paint & body shop to fix? Or is it an extremely rare problem?

If I slammed the frunk lid down, on a sturdy, metal, pointy object... that was a couple inches too high to properly fit in the frunk, would this $200 piece of plastic stop it from denting or puncturing the frunk lid?

I'm not really worried about scratching the underside of the metal.
Ok, I'll chime in-
If we ever run thousands of parts in China, it'll cost you $40.
The only reason the part exists is because it is a common issue
It's not metal, it's aluminum
We don't slam the hood. We rest it on the latch a couple inches from a closed position. We then push down and hope it doesn't take more pressure to do so, than what we applied in the past.
Short of a knife collection, you're covered....

You made a good decision

Lid Liner Corp.
jim@lidliner.com
800-933-3375
813-371-0161
Old 11-28-2018, 05:18 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lidliner
Ok, I'll chime in-
If we ever run thousands of parts in China, it'll cost you $40.
The only reason the part exists is because it is a common issue
It's not metal, it's aluminum
We don't slam the hood. We rest it on the latch a couple inches from a closed position. We then push down and hope it doesn't take more pressure to do so, than what we applied in the past.
Short of a knife collection, you're covered....

You made a good decision
Are you saying the 911 hood is aluminum? Or the Lid liner is aluminum?

I hope I never slam the hood.

I won't have the car (My 1st 911) for another month or so. IDK how the lid shocks or struts (assuming there is something that holds up the frunk lid) work yet.

I have had the struts fail on a car b4 that caused inadvertent slamming of the trunk. Obviously once you know this, you need to replace the struts.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Lidliner
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The hood is aluminum, so lighter and less stress on the struts. Also more difficult to repair. The earlier 911 struts were undersized, IMO. This is not something you will have to worry about for a very long time!!
Point on slamming hood is that the way you close a Porsche hood just contributes to the problem, as it's not "bouncing" up if an object interferes.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Lidliner: I have never seen you post before so I would like to make a comment/suggestion..

Can you please make your lidliner with a hole so the factory support can still be used during service? I had a custom installer tell me he uses a router to make a hole for his customers.
Is there a reason why it doesn't come this way from your factory to begin with? Just wondering. THX
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Lidliner
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Lidliner: I have never seen you post before so I would like to make a comment/suggestion..

Can you please make your lidliner with a hole so the factory support can still be used during service? I had a custom installer tell me he uses a router to make a hole for his customers.
Is there a reason why it doesn't come this way from your factory to begin with? Just wondering. THX
It has been a bit!!--We recently reinstated our sponsorship, so hopefully will be available for questions and comments. Also, members do such a great job stating our case we just stay out of it

To answer your question-We did consider this, but install and removal can be done in under 2 minutes. Simply tug at a corner and work your way around. This can be done multiple times with the same retainer clips, leaving them in the liner. You can do it on the service drive, or just inform the tech how to do it properly. Also, there is the aesthetics. A hole just doesn't look right...
There is a video of install/removal on our site to see it being done.

Really appreciate the great comments and question
Old 11-28-2018, 10:09 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanks for responding At the very least I think you should offer the option to customers. For me, I would never bother pulling on and off the lid liner multiple times a year for service year after year. It is plastic and at some point it could bend/warp and certainly the clips will fail after a certain amount of installs and removals. As far as cosmetics, this is something that is rarely seen, on the underside of the hood, so cosmetically this is a non issue for me. At least offer the option to customers. I bet you will sell 80% with holes compared to 20% without.. I have to wait to go back to the custom installer to use his router to get the hole in the exact spot and perfectly round. I will post pics to show how it looks at some point..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I drilled a hole in my Lid Liner some time ago and the yellow hanger used to support the battery cover has to be modified because the hook portion is not wide enough to hook into the new drilled out lid liner hole because the original hole has now essentially doubled in thickness.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Lidliner
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for responding At the very least I think you should offer the option to customers. For me, I would never bother pulling on and off the lid liner multiple times a year for service year after year. It is plastic and at some point it could bend/warp and certainly the clips will fail after a certain amount of installs and removals. As far as cosmetics, this is something that is rarely seen, on the underside of the hood, so cosmetically this is a non issue for me. At least offer the option to customers. I bet you will sell 80% with holes compared to 20% without.. I have to wait to go back to the custom installer to use his router to get the hole in the exact spot and perfectly round. I will post pics to show how it looks at some point..
We can certainly look at it again. I will say we offer replacement clips, at no charge, if yours become frayed over time. The liner itself will not be affected. It is rigid enough to withstand much more than R&I and your tech can have it off in about the time it takes to open the hood.

We also considered a hole with flush mounted plug and will keep you posted on any alterations. Appreciate the input!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 06:01 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Are there any photos of the factory support being used while servicing the 911? As I understand it, w/o the Lid Liner, you remove the engine cover & hang it on the open hood using a hole in the underside & it is out of the way. So it saves you from having to set the engine cover aside. Where it may get damaged or dirty? But if the work-a-round is to remove the Lid Liner to access the hole, Don't you then need to set aside the Lid Liner? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose? Why remove & set aside the LL in order to avoid setting aside the engine cover?

What am I not understanding here?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

This is a good suggestion.

Originally Posted by Lidliner
We can certainly look at it again. I will say we offer replacement clips, at no charge, if yours become frayed over time. The liner itself will not be affected. It is rigid enough to withstand much more than R&I and your tech can have it off in about the time it takes to open the hood.

We also considered a hole with flush mounted plug and will keep you posted on any alterations.
Good job, Jim. Glad you are listening. This is a win for Rennlist. The sharing of ideas and open discussion. This idea is a way for Das Schild to add value, sometimes a hard thing to do in a crowed aftermarket car parts market. Maybe only offer the lid liner with the pre drilled hole directly from your e-commerce site (unique exclusivity) and don't offer to your re-sellers (like Suncoast) to drive more direct sales (> margins) OR offer to your best distributor, with exclusivity, as a reward for top sales performance.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I think only a small percentage of owners even know that the frunk cover has a hanger and an even smaller percentage use it. I think most take the cover out and put it on the floor. I drilled a hole in the LL and use the hanger only about half of the time - the other half, cover is on the floor. I've seen the same for service techs, some use the hanger and others just take the cover out and put it on the floor

Quick Reply: Protection for underside of Frunk?