Sponsored by:

Kline, Fabspeed, or Vektor Headers? 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Kline, Fabspeed, or Vektor Headers? 991.2

It seems headers hardly add any power or sound difference on the 991.2. Has anyone added Kline, Fabspeed, or Vektor headers? How do you like them?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:19 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 630 Posts

Hey Fl-Supra-Guy, I think its still early days.

Once COBB has released stage 2 (Intake and exhaust mods tune) then we should have a lot more info on them.

Fabspeed were early to market which gave them a bit of an advantage. Kline is always good, but very little info on them for our car. Vektor seem to be on the money with that epic collector and now they offer the Swain tech ceramic coating.

I'm pretty much convinced I will go down the Vektor path soon. Too many things to buy at present. I will get to them soon.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
It seems headers hardly add any power or sound difference on the 991.2. Has anyone added Kline, Fabspeed, or Vektor headers? How do you like them?
Responded to your PM and will keep an eye on the thread if anyone has any questions regarding our products.

As I said in the PM, for me our headers are not just about the power gains, but how it improves the drivability, responsiveness, and widens the area under the curve (which is what really makes a car faster). All are what make a car feel faster and it's a definite difference in a positive direction.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Define hardly Fabspeed in their testing showed 18whp. Vektor from 2 independent tests showed 20-25whp.

Quick design comparisons:
Materials:
Kline - 304
Fabspeed - 304
Vektor - 321, option of SwainTech ceramic coating which keeps more heat in = better performance

Runners: Fabspeed is not equal length. Kline and Vektor are equal length. Kline has the tightest bends. Vektor has the most gentle bends.

Merges: Kline is fabricated, Fabspeed and Vektor are cast. Kline and Fabspeed have all three runners merge in a 'flat' plane. Vektor's merge has the 3 runners equally spaced around a central axis.

Fabspeed runner entrance on the left, Vektor on the right.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:29 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Looks like Kline and Vektor far surpass fabspeed.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Responded to your PM and will keep an eye on the thread if anyone has any questions regarding our products.

As I said in the PM, for me our headers are not just about the power gains, but how it improves the drivability, responsiveness, and widens the area under the curve (which is what really makes a car faster). All are what make a car feel faster and it's a definite difference in a positive direction.
if you have additional details about headers please share here or pm me as well. Been thinking about upgrading to some sport cats soon, but still undecided about the headers with similar thoughts as OP.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:35 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Define hardly Fabspeed in their testing showed 18whp. Vektor from 2 independent tests showed 20-25whp.

Quick design comparisons:
Materials:
Kline - 304
Fabspeed - 304
Vektor - 321, option of SwainTech ceramic coating which keeps more heat in = better performance

Runners: Fabspeed is not equal length. Kline and Vektor are equal length. Kline has the tightest bends. Vektor has the most gentle bends.

Merges: Kline is fabricated, Fabspeed and Vektor are cast. Kline and Fabspeed have all three runners merge in a 'flat' plane. Vektor's merge has the 3 runners equally spaced around a central axis.
WOW, that's an awesome insight. Thanks. I wanted Vektor headers before, now I want them even more. The collector immediately looked superior in my eyes.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by basic666

if you have additional details about headers please share here or pm me as well. Been thinking about upgrading to some sport cats soon, but still undecided about the headers with similar thoughts as OP.
Here's a review of the Vektor headers:
https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...e-911-carrera/

I can't find an independent test/review of the Fabspeed headers. There is even less information on the Kline headers.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Here's a review of the Vektor headers:
https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...e-911-carrera/

I can't find an independent test/review of the Fabspeed headers. There is even less information on the Kline headers.
I read that one before, but i think you have been the most informative person on headers so far, especially on the differences among all the brands out there (trust me i searched and read through every topic on this forum for cats/exhausts/headers in the past few weeks)

Any more details on the ceramic coating besides "more heat is better"? Has anyone actually bought the vektor headers and posted any sort of reviews yet?
Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Any more details on the ceramic coating besides "more heat is better"? Has anyone actually bought the vektor headers and posted any sort of reviews yet?
Yup, sure thing. It boils down to basic thermodynamics of turbines. This link is to a NASA description of turbine power. It shows a jet engine which uses an axial turbine; turbos typically use radial turbines, but the power/work equation is the same. h

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/ai.../powtrbth.html

The main variables in turbine work are: turbine efficiency, constant specific heat of the gas, turbine pressure ratio, and turbine inlet temperature (Tt4 in the NASA equation based on their diagram). Heat = energy. So the more heat/higher temperature you have in the gas going into the turbine, the more turbine power you get. More turbine power = more compressor power, so less lag and faster response in turbocharger performance.

This link is to a good study done by a grad student at the U. of Texas on adding just a turbine housing blanket and the resulting difference in performance.
https://motoiq.com/nerd-o-scope-keep...urbo-blankets/
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

FWIW Sam with ByDesign recently dynod a gts with a cobb tune, full kline exhaust system, and AMS ic's and it made 520hp.

https://youtu.be/HS09vbtWrIc

Also, here's a full fabspeed exhaust clip https://youtu.be/W0o9yWDXP3s
Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I've got a busy day ahead of me, but will try to get on here soon to add some more details. I'm not a fan of posting numbers from our own car/dyno, but here's where we're at with Swain Coated Vektor Performance Headers and Cobb STG 1 on a 91 map with 93 fuel.... Completely stock turbo-back exhaust.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
I've got a busy day ahead of me, but will try to get on here soon to add some more details. I'm not a fan of posting numbers from our own car/dyno, but here's where we're at with Swain Coated Vektor Performance Headers and Cobb STG 1 on a 91 map with 93 fuel.... Completely stock turbo-back exhaust.

Nice, I assume was a manual GTS?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Hi gents,

With the Kline system we have had amazing proven results on all Porsche models and Kline has been doing them for over 10 years. On the new Carreras we just have not enough guys who visit the Dyno. I can tell you that years of experience with Exhaust systems on Porsche cars has gone into them. Equal length proper engineered runner size and design, a nice hand made merge collecter designed to take ground clearance into concideration and a 100% track record on longevity and quality. We offer SS as well as Inconel 625 materials. As for coatings Kline employs a 2 Stage Zichromium coating like used on Pagani cars and many other top exotic and race teams. We understand the need for more independent testing so I would be glad to work out special deal or even group by with anyone who would like to put them to the test and we will support you 100% with our earned reputations and guarantee we hold very dear.We have been lucky enough to work with some really special projects and teams including Porsche on the Pike’s Peak Hillclimb I really put our manifolds and theories to the test including some pretty serious airborne excursions ha ha. Has proven on the other models I think we have come up with something that sounds amazing, performs wonderfully, is very reliable andTakes into consideration all the design parameters as well as options for each clients needs.

Feel free to to reach out if I can answer any questions and again you have my full support on our product and what we promised to deliver. Cheers guys!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 09-09-2018, 01:49 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

To add a bit more to the 'more heat is better', below is dyno data from Perrin Performance on a Subaru. The dynos with the car warm and the header already hot spool up significantly sooner than the dynos with the cold headers. The reason being, the colder header material absorbs the heat out of the exhaust flow before the heat/energy makes it to the turbines of the turbo. This also speaks to the necessity of consistent dyno procedures and how easy it is to get skewed results on turbo cars.

Quick Reply: Kline, Fabspeed, or Vektor Headers? 991.2