Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GTS Owner S Fla-PPF/Ceramic Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:13 PM
USMC10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with trucheli for the most part. I also recommend not using the vendor the dealership has on contract and do your own research. Find the most reputable and highest rated PPF installer in the area and use them. I can't recommend anyone down in your area as I live in Northern VA, however I can say you're likely to find a better installer if you do your homework.

I just picked up my custom build 2018 911 GTS and before I even reached 100 miles in the odometer I brought it in for a full car PPF and ceramic coating. I went with a place that specializes in high-end and exotic cars because they specifically cater to those who are detail oriented and put in the extra time to ensure the install is 100% perfect. Case in point, the day I picked up my car the installer said he had to install the front hood 3 times before it was perfect. The first time he noticed a speck of dirt and the second a piece of lint. In both cases unless you looked for it, they were virtually unoticible...just a tiny little bubble the size of a pin head. However between his strive for perfection and my desire for quality over speed (I told him to keep the car as long as needed to ensure it's done right), on his own account he replaced the frunk panel 3 times to ensure perfection; he grudingly admitted he ate a few hundred bucks in material in the process. He knew his reputation was on the line and that was paramount. This is the kind of work you want...and 9 times out of 10 a contracted installer from the dealer isn't going to provide it because they value volume over quality.

During your interviews to identify a good installer, be sure the installer preps the car properly. You'll want the paint decontaminated using ironX (or similar product) followed by clay bar and completely dried before PPF is installed. Prepping is key to a good PPF install. If you're told they don't decon and clay bar the paint before applying PPF, look elsewhere.

On to type of PPF. This comes down to personal preference and budget. I personally opted for Clearguard Nano. The shop I used, American Shine Detailing, is an authorized installer for XPEL, Suntek, and Clearguard. I was fortunate enough that their master installer did a side by side comparison of all three [on a black car] so I could see with my own eyes the difference in clarity between the 3. Both Xpel Ultimate Plus and Suntek Ultra are very good, but Cleargaurd Nano stood out to me as being the one that really made the paint pop. No discoloration or haze visible at all. To be fair, if you don't have the ability to do a side by side comparison you'll never know the difference. Just something to think about. ​I probably would have gone with Suntek if Cleargaurd Nano wasn't available.

Also, a front wrap vs full wrap is personal preference. I personally went full wrap...every panel including the rear bumper. This prevents people's rings, watches, and bags from nicking the paint when walking by and generally prevents scuffs everywhere throughout the car. Perhaps a full wrap is not necessary, but I did it for peace of mind. Whichever direction you go, I recommend having your installer tuck all the seams and edges so you don't see them. That's the difference between an average installer and a master installer...being able to hide all seams so that someone walking up to the car would never even know the car even has PPF. This involves pulling headlights out, door handles off, etc, but it really makes the difference. One a $150k car you don't want PPF seams everywhere.

Finally I also did full ceramic coating (Gtekniq Crystal Serum Black) on the whole car, including the wheels and brake calipers (to prevent brake dust build up), but this may or may not be needed depending how often you wash and detail your car. Unlike trucheli who appears to be an avid detailer (good on him!) I just don't have the time. The ceramic coating minimizes the need for frequent hand detailing since almost everything falls off the PPF now with a simple rinse from a hose.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mike

Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had my 2018 911T done at Pinpoint Precision Detailing in Coral Springs. I documented it here : https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1092...iami-blue.html
To do just a front wrap he was cheaper than the dealer. I chose to do the complete PPF on the car.
Francisico did a great job color correcting and getting the PPF applied. He also did the Modesta coatings as well.
Check him out.
All I can say is that the bugs a dirt wash away easily with both being done.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Section101etseq
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate all the in-depth comments and thoughts. Finally had a chance to wash it and get a few pics up (see below). After a bunch of looking and reading, per the thoughts here, it’s going to autosupershield next week to have all the parts (sans the rear and door PPF applied). Spoke to a few detailers who counseled not doing ceramic but rather just keeping on top of the PPF and other areas with a spray sealant. Mixed reviews in coating the wheels am going to wing it for now on the wheels and see how it goes. I’m having it tinted next week also and will at some point this weekend try to order the front spoiler grills which as suggested here seem to be a must. From there I have to do the radar (I’m resolved to just do a blendmount in this car) and that should do it for the time being.

Will post pics of the install thanks!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
USMC10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car! Love the GTS in white! Let us know how the PPF install goes.

Quick Reply: New GTS Owner S Fla-PPF/Ceramic Recommendations