Sponsored by:

Carrera T vs Carrera S - Config Fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Carrera T vs Carrera S - Config Fun

No two 911s are the same as no two people are - this is a good read and reflects my sentiments.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1056...-of-money.html

Don't need higher trim but need the options I want. Again these cars are all about WANT and not NEED.

These two configs are not apple to apples. But how I would be satisfied with each, either the Carrera T or the Carrera S
It all depends on timing and what I can order. I have driven a Carrera S with Manual - it was fun, Driven a Base with PDK - it was fun too. Drove Caymans/718s too but wife and I both agreed that 911 was more enjoyable to us.

Carrera T is best with Manual, you get to keep the LSD and PTV, its zero cost and has a tall 3rd gear so not too much of a bother in local driving. you can go from 1 to 3rd and that would be it as my local drive is 45mph tops. Any ways.
Ceramics look really cool and only option to get 6-POTS in front

Carrera S with PDK you get the ediff and PTV+ at a cost, you get PDCC at a cost. I have DCC in my Merc and do like it.
Sport brakes have 6-POTS so that money is put in PDK and PDCC

Carreara T - $144,680
PKL6JCZ4

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKL6JCZ4

Carrera S - $150,720
PK9FN9M6

http://www.porsche-code.com/PK9FN9M6

These specs are where I wanted to be budget wise. 6K difference is not a biggie. I will have other expenses too like PPF, Dash Cam, Winter tire/wheel set etc. so budgeting that separate.

I like the 991.2, 992 is up in the air, I am sure it will have improvements but may have some negatives for me to make me just go for the 991.2, next two months will answer that. I may end up picking up the last slots for the 991.2 if I don't like the 992 enough. Time will tell if I will be able to pick up a Carrera T or Carrera S or just luck out and have to go for the 992 S.

What do you guys think of the specs - its not for everyone but just for me. But always willing to listen. I have changed the specs a lot from the time I started based on feedback and kind of stabilized now 98%.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, If you're not going for the fixed-back full buckets, then you might as well get the S. Also I love chalk and sadly you can't get that on a T. In my mind, the T is all about being able to have the fixed buckets, rear-axle steering, mechanical diff, shorter gearing, and manual transmission with short throw shifter on a car that's around $40k less than a GT3 Touring and can actually be purchased by normal humans that don't flip cars for a living. If you're not taking all of those options, then it doesn't quite make sense to me. But you're talking about two very different driving experiences. The PDK is obviously fantastic but a manual is so much more involving to drive ... so that's really the crux of your question here. Do you want the involvement of the manual (get the T), or would you prefer shifting duty be handled by Porsche's very competent engineers - which also gives you the option for more power and additional color choices ;-)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you really need to decide what you want. If you can't even decide between MT and PDK, you have a ways to go. These are two very different cars for very different purposes, IMO.

I have trouble with "performance" options in a car that is more a fun around town car. ( the T) I find the LWB seats impractical unless it is primarily a track car. Then I would want the PDK. Oops, it's the track so I want the better brakes and more power of the S. Yes, the T has some really nice stylistic touches but I feel I am being manipulated too much by Porsche marketing buying the pretty face with the same engine/brakes. I also have a problem with the "plastic" window with no defroster. Yeah, the lighter weight is nice but I like to drive my car, not just look at it. Rear window defroster is important to me.

My T priced up at something like $130k and it wasn't going to be "light"

Thought about the T but couldn't justify the PDK, and other options I wanted. If I bought a 911, I think I would also probably go with a back seat. Low mileage CPO S just seemed like such a better deal at the time.

911 feels big to me for my use. It's a much different car than the 718. I ended up buying a 718 GTS for my track toy. I like the smaller size . If I went the 911 route, probably would have gone with the GTS , maybe a few dollars more, but with your T priced up at $144K it doesn't seem so bad.

By the way, 3rd gear gets me over 100mph. Has in most of my sports cars for over a decade. It's even hard to find a use for third on back roads. Second gets me to upper 50's, IIRC. Here's the other rub. Just yesterday, I had a Carrera GT in front and a Ferrari 458 behind me and I know we all had the same issue. No place to reasonably wind it out. Frustrating.

In any event, get the car you fall in love with and want to keep forever. If you can't decide then keep looking. That would be my "sage advice". LOL Good luck.

Last edited by Semitone; 09-04-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Lol...good points.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:28 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Imo LWB's are overkill for the T's intended purpose. LWB's are impractical for the street, everyday driving etc...they're for the track, the T is not.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:55 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I am having the same dilemma. I have optioned out a T, but found out about PDK losing PTV and LSD, so passing on it.
Specd out an S and found it more appealing, also considering a 718 GTS as well.
I wonder though if I am spending the same money on a new S, should I consider getting a used 991.1 GT3? lol. this is fun but frustrating as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I will not order an S at this time period. Wait for the 992. Definitely the new model will be better than the current one.

If you like the T go for it but make sure you are OK with marketing tricks instead of a special edition.

Every 911 is a wonderful car. Get it drive it and enjoy it.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:08 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

At those prices I'd just get a GTS. Those are extremely high MSRPs for those cars.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 AM
CrownCityBoy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^^^ What he said.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Im typically not from the camp of "why dont you buy the next model up at that price". But at 145-150k msrp you can buy a really, really nice GTS. Especially if you want manual, then 150k is basically fully loaded. Also figure 30%+ of the msrp on your builds is options and this will not be recovered at resale. The GTS might also hold value better. Msrp on my T was only 109, and if my budget was 15k more i would go gts, spec'ed the exact same way, 7MT, FAL, RAS... thats it. I personally would only upgrade to the GTS and not the S because the residuals are better and it seems to have unique tuning compared to the other carreras. I really like the character of that car (and the T seems to have lots of similar programming - sound/throttle mapping etc)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

On LWBs - had them on my last track car. carbon Kevlar buckets with 6-point harness. Pass on that for a street daily car.

when I spec the GTS I am looking at close to $160k as I like it, and there are few things which I don’t like on the GTS. Getting an allocation at this time may be an issue as well, T and S are available.
i can easily tune the S to 500hp.

as for the 992, I do like the current 991.2, its well sorted. The new 992 will have more power and more gadets but not really needed. And everything gets old.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
On LWBs - had them on my last track car. carbon Kevlar buckets with 6-point harness. Pass on that for a street daily car.

when I spec the GTS I am looking at close to $160k as I like it, and there are few things which I don’t like on the GTS. Getting an allocation at this time may be an issue as well, T and S are available.
i can easily tune the S to 500hp.

as for the 992, I do like the current 991.2, its well sorted. The new 992 will have more power and more gadets but not really needed. And everything gets old.
Gotcha. Reasoning against GTS makes sense.
My last question is, do you really need PCCB on the T? Ive driven mine hard and in mid triple digits and never once felt I needed bigger brakes. This would definitely change the price gap quite a bit here and the black calipers are really sexy.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Only specing the PCCB with T because they look so good on that Miami Blue - guilty
in reality, not needed
Old 09-04-2018, 04:34 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

unless you are a serial flipper or are tight on money, i'd config it how you want. Reading all these threads make me feel like I made some huge mistake not having RAS on my carrera T, but those feelings go away when i start driving it. The same thing when people were posting NEVER get a macan without PTV. Dont miss it at all on our macan GTS. Yet again with my wife's S5, forumites saying we made a mistake not getting the sport diff (i actually did want this as it was only $1100), but we had the car for 5 years and not once did we say dammit wish i go the sport diff. Nothing wrong with speccing the PCCB for looks if you have the scratch. I wanted to get a Targa 4 purely for the looks, im not a fan of convertibles, unfortunately couldnt find a base Targa 4 allocation, just 4S and GTS targas.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

If you have the money, as others have said, make it the way you want. Yellow calipers will look great with Miami Blue and I almost did that on mine but I wanted Blue interior trim and not Yellow. My car is on order and I can only imagine what some will say when they see it, but it is my money and I can care less about resale.

In regards to allocations, your dealer should be able to change an existing one. For example, a member here wanted a C4 yesterday and there were no allocations in the US but I knew my SA could make it happen and he did, he asked Porsche to change a C4S allocation to a C4 and they did so the member put down his deposit yesterday. That is the difference between a good dealer and a great dealer and by the way, he got 4% off but some extra stuff for free.

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Carrera S - Config Fun