Sponsored by:

Carrera T vs Carrera S - Config Fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Im typically not from the camp of "why dont you buy the next model up at that price". But at 145-150k msrp you can buy a really, really nice GTS. Especially if you want manual, then 150k is basically fully loaded. Also figure 30%+ of the msrp on your builds is options and this will not be recovered at resale. The GTS might also hold value better. Msrp on my T was only 109, and if my budget was 15k more i would go gts, spec'ed the exact same way, 7MT, FAL, RAS... thats it. I personally would only upgrade to the GTS and not the S because the residuals are better and it seems to have unique tuning compared to the other carreras. I really like the character of that car (and the T seems to have lots of similar programming - sound/throttle mapping etc)
Can you clarify on residuals? Is this in reference to a lease? or like the resale of used ? It would seem to me that used 911 prices are highly dependent on the mileage. I figure I am averaging 8k a yr on my cars and I would be at 42k at 6 years when I would plan to sell and whether it be a low spec gts or mid spec S, the resale would be similar.

Also, looking at tunes by COBB, GTS ecu tune has lower returns vs the S with the Base being the best.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Reseale. Only the first few years then it all evens out
Old 09-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you have the money, as others have said, make it the way you want. Yellow calipers will look great with Miami Blue and I almost did that on mine but I wanted Blue interior trim and not Yellow. My car is on order and I can only imagine what some will say when they see it, but it is my money and I can care less about resale.

In regards to allocations, your dealer should be able to change an existing one. For example, a member here wanted a C4 yesterday and there were no allocations in the US but I knew my SA could make it happen and he did, he asked Porsche to change a C4S allocation to a C4 and they did so the member put down his deposit yesterday. That is the difference between a good dealer and a great dealer and by the way, he got 4% off but some extra stuff for free.

curious about the extra free stuff, done that with Mercs all the.
what is possible with Porsche dealer?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I need therapy.

I am really itching to place an order in for the 991.2 T or S, now.
don’t like the 992 interior so much and exterior doesn’t wow me either compared to 991.2, I am sure it will be a better car overall.

but I really don’t need a car for next two years, and I really don’t need a 3rd car before April next year.

dealer tells me we can place an order now for delivery after April.

is that really possible what do you guys think?

also wife says go with the S config as she likes the chalk color and get all the bells and whistles.

Last edited by Cyberbug; 09-06-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

If the allocation has a late build date it will not be here until March or so, based on some of the allocations I have seen recently. But they are going fairly quickly so if you are not fond of the 992 you should decide soon. And needless to say the 992 will cost more money.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Good point Bob. Even though my current two cars have leases for another 2 years, and I have a bike too. I don’t want to miss out on a custom 991.2 build and regret later. Since I will be buying this time and not leasing I might has well get it in April or so, either way I will be paying for it and just get to put even less miles on the cars.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

If you need a lead on a discounted allocation, if you cannot find one, let me know.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 AM
dkhm3
Racer

I went to test drive the T, the S, and the cayman GTS today.

I ranked the cars S, Cayman GTS, and T before I test drove them.

After I have to say I was really impressed with the T even though it was a PDK and had no LSD, it was a solid car, and much more visceral driving experience than the S. I was shocked because the S had similar package to the T, with sport exhaust, pasm, this one had RWS, and I could not tell the difference with power ( i shifted max 4.5k rpms not to WOT a car that will belong to someone else). Both cars were driven in S and S+ and the T seems just more responsive and snarly. I am torn. I also loved the T's look- the spoiler just looked so much more sportier than the S spoiler. I wonder if I could mod the S to have the same angle as the T.

Loved the Cayman too, but the engine ticked ticked ticked, the drive was incredible. the car just does not have the presence of the 911.

I need to figure it out soon... will need to order my car.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

The Bells & whistles would include Premium Pkg Plus, Bose, Ventilated seats, Full Leather, Sport Pkg, PDCC, and X51 POWERKIT. Anything else is just cosmetic.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Yes the T spoiler raises more as does the one in 992 and I would be in the opposite camp though.

the T has less insulation and feels more raw probably, plus there are some tweaks to the suspension etc.

I havent test driven one yet, may be I’ll do it this weekend. There is one available near by.

the negatives for me are 1. Color choices, 2. P could have done so much more but obviously wanted to keep it between the Base and S trim. 3. The gimick of calling it light weight. But its a great car.
and I am torn as well and I have to order soon as well.

with the S I would also add the PDCC and I do get the e-diff and ptv+ with pdk. Plus 420hp/368lbft not that matters a lot.

i will make a final decision soon. But you made me doubt myself again
Old 09-07-2018, 02:19 AM
dkhm3
Racer

lol. when are you planning on delivery? I am pushing it to december allocation for feb/march delivery next year. i also have a lease and it ends in june so I am trying to delay it as much as i can.

my builds are not as high as yours. 123k for the T and 132k for the S.

my advisor said RWS is something he wouldn't pay for as he has felt no difference between the ones with and ones without. made me change my mind on it.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

April delivery or later. My leases are not up for another 2 years so I just don’t want to miss out on the 991.2

Last edited by Cyberbug; 09-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

So for me (my personal spec selection) the S is about $3200 more than the T. For that I get PTV+, E-Diff, PDCC and few other interior bits extra plus a bit more HP/Tq.

in the T I get well the T and Ceramic brakes, I would keep the PDK and lose the LSD and PTV.

thing is that my current C300 AWD has airmatic suspension, I can change the dampening, ride height, and it has active roll/sway bars as pdcc and I love it and its a hoot to drive around bends. So I wouldn’t mind having PDCC.

at the same time hearing all the time that T is more fun is making me go back and forth.

btw, my last track car plates were “2MUCHFN”
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

@cyberbug get a GTS and you are done...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I do not see how someone could not tell a car has RWS...must not have been a good test drive.

And I agree, sounds like a GTS is just what Cyberbug wants.

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Carrera S - Config Fun