Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this on my wheels??!! And how to get rid of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this on my wheels??!! And how to get rid of?

This dark brown/grey stuff appears on the “forward” surfaces of my wheels. The wheels have a metallic grey paint on all surfaces and polished alloy on the outside surfaces. Genuine Porsche turbo wheels.

When dirty, they are covered in dark brown/grey dirt that wipes off easily (presumably brake dust). However, on these surfaces (and NOT the trailing surfaces) there is this hard “scale” underneath the dirt. Bug and tar remover doesn’t seem to touch it (or hardly does). It honestly looks somewhat like rust, but it can’t be, can it?? These are highly polished, painted surfaces.

I am am at a loss.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:24 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Rust from rotors?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

If wheel cleaner and tar remover are not getting it off, I have a feeling that brake dust or harsh chemicals have eaten into the finish and your finish is flaking off. Hope I am wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Baked on brake dust. You should clean your wheels often, or that happens. I've seen the same thing on used cars in lots.Try brake dust cleaner.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,182 Posts

I have some of that on my wheels from the previous owner. I am going to try and give them another good clean, then polish, then coat them with CQuartz since that should add another layer of protection and make it wipe off easier in the future.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it turns out, I CAN scrape it off with my fingernails. And the finish underneath is fine. But I don’t have enough fingernails in a lifetime to do that. I’ll try brake dust cleaner and a few other products and see if it will eat through it.

Judd
Old 09-02-2018, 04:26 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a thought, but what about a brass brush or plastic scouring pad?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by goldduster
Just a thought, but what about a brass brush or plastic scouring pad?
Brass brush will definitely scratch the clear coat. Same for the scouring pad. Need to use brake dust cleaner. The chemicals in the cleaner will soften the dust so it can be rinsed away with water.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:11 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 129 Posts

Try Sonax. That should work.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Spray with brake cleaner and then use something like PBblaster and rub it in. If its superficial it will come off. Let it soak and rub in.
if its not then you should be able to see pitting. You can also take close up shots with your cell phone and zoom in to see whats going on.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:46 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

any wheel cleaner at the parts store, eagle, meguires. You let it build up too long before you decided to clean them
Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 AM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Gyeon Iron
Old 09-04-2018, 03:26 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My go-to magical cleaning solution is called Oil-Flo Safety Solvent. It works when all else fails, and so far I've never experienced any damage from it. I bought a Ferrari 360 a while back that was 4.5 years old. There was a warning sticker glued to the dash (that was always meant to be removed, but never was). When I took it off, it left behind an ugly adhesive residue. Oil Flo got it off and there was no trace of adhesive and no damage to the leather. On 2 other occasions, careless NYC parking lot attendance got pen on the interior of my Panamera and separately my wife's Audi and the Oil Flow got it off. When I need to clean nasty wheels (especially the barrels when they're off the car), this stuff does the trick. It's available on Amazon.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Oil-Flo Should Be In Your Cleaning Kit

Originally Posted by bwiele
My go-to magical cleaning solution is called Oil-Flo Safety Solvent. It works when all else fails, and so far I've never experienced any damage from it. I bought a Ferrari 360 a while back that was 4.5 years old. There was a warning sticker glued to the dash (that was always meant to be removed, but never was). When I took it off, it left behind an ugly adhesive residue. Oil Flo got it off and there was no trace of adhesive and no damage to the leather. On 2 other occasions, careless NYC parking lot attendance got pen on the interior of my Panamera and separately my wife's Audi and the Oil Flow got it off. When I need to clean nasty wheels (especially the barrels when they're off the car), this stuff does the trick. It's available on Amazon.
Great suggestion above for your wheel cleaning. We have used Titan Oil-Flo Safety Solvent for years, and it is safe, first for you and your skin, and second, for your Porsche. It is available in a 16 oz. pump bottle @ $22.95. Get rid of the pump, and put a compatible screw-on cap, with a nozzle that you can flip up (use one from on an old polish/sealant bottle), and you will be able to control your use of the product (Oil-Flo) far easier than a spray.

See, <https://store.carcareonline.com/titanoilflosafetysolvent-16ozpumpspray.aspx>, which the following write-up is taken from.

Oil-Flo Safety Solvent is "[a] neutral pH, water soluble, liquid solvent that is colorless, non-foaming and rinses clean with water leaving no residue. May be diluted with water to the desired strength for a particular job. It removes grease, tar, oils, adhesives, tree sap, rubber marks, exhaust and many other stains that are considered difficult. Do not use on polycarbonate or polystyrene plastics. Oil Flo is the best product, we have found, that will easily remove wheel weight adhesive without harming the wheel finish. ...."

For the task at hand, cut a t-shirt into strips and lay the individual strips which are lightly soaked with Oil-Flo for about 5 to 10 minutes on the built-up areas of debris deposited on the individual spokes of your wheels. You can reuse those strips on other spokes. Wipe the Oil-Flo soaked debris and flush with water; all of Oil Flo Safety Solvent along with the debris will be flushed. Polish the wheels with your regular paint sealant.

Note, in the interior, I would be cautious (read test in an secluded area) about using Oil-Flo on a light-colored leather, as it could leave the leather lightly discolored with a water-like stain, but with with darker leather, brown or black there is no discoloration. Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 09-04-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Caps
Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Gyeon Iron
The stuff makes my detailing cabinet smell like roadkill, but I love the reaction when it hits the iron deposits.

Quick Reply: What is this on my wheels??!! And how to get rid of?