Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1094629-standard-bose-burmester-or-custom-audio.html)

SeeForce 09-05-2018 04:34 PM

im an audio guy... B&W, classe', etc... and a past car audio fan. in my opinion, the noise floor in these cars makes it hard for them to sound good at anything but high volumes at that point, the size of the car is restrictive to support equipment needed to produce high volume and high quality. yes, highs can be better, yes lows can be better (no highs, no lows, it must be bose). i have the bose in my new car and in my previous. i have burmester in my mercedes. all are just slightly better than meh. one of the better sounding factory car stereos was in my 2017 Volvo XC90 with the B&Ws. i personally wouldnt spend the money on the porsche burmester. bose is ok enough and i like the idea of nicks tweeters.

HMBGTS 09-05-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by SeeForce (Post 15268147)
im an audio guy... B&W, classe', etc... and a past car audio fan. in my opinion, the noise floor in these cars makes it hard for them to sound good at anything but high volumes at that point, the size of the car is restrictive to support equipment needed to produce high volume and high quality. yes, highs can be better, yes lows can be better (no highs, no lows, it must be bose). i have the bose in my new car and in my previous. i have burmester in my mercedes. all are just slightly better than meh. one of the better sounding factory car stereos was in my 2017 Volvo XC90 with the B&Ws. i personally wouldnt spend the money on the porsche burmester. bose is ok enough and i like the idea of nicks tweeters.

THIS... I am the audiophile/video nerd at home, Revel, Wisdom Audio, Anthem, etc. but conditions in any cars I've owned have never amounted to anything approaching what I would consider amazing audio. Having said that, the B&O in my last Aston Vantage was probably the best I've heard in a car I've owned, but even then, at 80 MPH on the freeway, there was enough tire/road/wind noise that much of that was negated.

I went with Bose in mine mainly because I'm listening to audio books or Podcasts in the car 85% of the time, the other 15% its alternative rock via the iPhone (granted at a fairly high bitrate file) so I felt like the additional cash for more than the Bose would have been wasted. The Bose in my wife's Macan S does the job well enough for what is asked of it, so figure the same will be true for the 2019 911 version of the Bose.. But Nick's tweeters appeal to me as well as a cost effective way to squeeze a little better sound out of the Bose, without going full custom, etc.

TwinTurbo420 09-06-2018 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SeeForce (Post 15268147)
im an audio guy... B&W, classe', etc... and a past car audio fan. in my opinion, the noise floor in these cars makes it hard for them to sound good at anything but high volumes ...

Everyone says this & there is much truth to it... which is why you do a audio comparison test & hear for yourself.

I was planning on BOSE & was very disappointed in how mediocre it sounded until I spent much time making adjustments. Then, Acceptable but nothing great.I could have lived with that.
Especially on a long road trip, I want great sounding music. Yes, I listen at high volumes. When I tested the Burmester in a 911, I was unprepared for how awesome it sounded above the idling engine & loud noise from the seat ventilation on high. I listened to loud & soft music. Hard Rock, & a female vocalist, a cappella. I had assumed the female unaccompanied voice, which is sublime on my home system, would be lost with that background noise. It was not. I was blown away! My expectations were WRONG. That is why we do tests of things.

If you wish to really know, do the test.

Dan Nagy 09-06-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420 (Post 15269381)
Everyone says this & there is much truth to it... which is why you do a audio comparison test & hear for yourself.

I was planning on BOSE & was very disappointed in how mediocre it sounded until I spent much time making adjustments. Then, Acceptable but nothing great.I could have lived with that.
Especially on a long road trip, I want great sounding music. Yes, I listen at high volumes. When I tested the Burmester in a 911, I was unprepared for how awesome it sounded above the idling engine & loud noise from the seat ventilation on high. I listened to loud & soft music. Hard Rock, & a female vocalist, a cappella. I had assumed the female unaccompanied voice, which is sublime on my home system, would be lost with that background noise. It was not. I was blown away! My expectations were WRONG. That is why we do tests of things.

If you wish to really know, do the test.

Yep, going to listen to Hurricane's weekend after next on a PCA "Drive & Dine".

PTS-BRG 09-06-2018 01:41 PM

I'll put my 8500 aftermarket system with 6 speakers up against anyones 8500 Burmester with 12 speakers and a sub.

In addition to being properly tuned and having the doors insulated against vibration and deadened, the components are far superior, the amplification is more powerful and cleaner and overall its not even close.
Same price with half the speakers and infinitely better. If you think that removing the door panels is going to cause damage then dont do it. Mine have been removed about 6 times already, no problems..

Hurricane 09-06-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15270321)
I'll put my 8500 aftermarket system with 6 speakers up against anyones 8500 Burmester with 12 speakers and a sub.

In addition to being properly tuned and having the doors insulated against vibration and deadened, the components are far superior, the amplification is more powerful and cleaner and overall its not even close.
Same price with half the speakers and infinitely better. If you think that removing the door panels is going to cause damage then dont do it. Mine have been removed about 6 times already, no problems..

$8,500 for the Burmester??? Yikes! I think I paid $5,300 for mine.

PTS-BRG 09-06-2018 01:48 PM

You get the point. Half the speakers, similar price point and infinitely better sound.

I didnt buy the Burmester so I wouldnt know the price :)

The Burmester is just marked up crap. At least on an Aftermarket system half of the expense is the components, the rest is labor.
If you could do the labor yourself you could get an insane system for $5300 in actual hardware..

Hurricane 09-06-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15270341)
You get the point. Half the speakers, similar price point and infinitely better sound.

I didnt buy the Burmester so I wouldnt know the price :)

The Burmester is just marked up crap. At least on an Aftermarket system half of the expense is the components, the rest is labor.
If you could do the labor yourself you could get an insane system for $5300 in actual hardware..

No question it is crazy overpriced. Wish it had been at the Bose price point!

TwinTurbo420 09-07-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15270321)

Please tell us the brand, model & size speakers you used & the brand & model of amplifier. Did you place the amp under the passenger seat or somewhere else? Did you use a SubWoofer? I think not.
Since you said 6 speakers, I'm assuming R&L dashboard tweeters, mid range & Woofer in each door & nothing in the back seat area. If you upgraded from Bose vs. base, did you just disconnect the other 6 Bose speakers & just leave them in place?

I'm assuming your cost was $8,500 & professionally installed.

porsche42 09-07-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy (Post 15267641)
I just keep thinking about the conversion with Nick's tweeters and the cheap crap Bose I pulled out. I guess Bose is selling that crap to Porsche for $150 and Porsche is selling it to us for $1600.

I think that was a sarcastic remark, I think at $3500 it's overpriced for a car with a base price of $180k or even a $100k Porsche.

PTS-BRG 09-07-2018 10:02 AM

TwinTurbo420:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1080...st-love-2.html

TQP 09-07-2018 10:50 AM

Anyone who really likes music (the way it sounds in the studio) should plug into Music Quality Audio (MQA). That amazing sound will make you rethink what type of audio system to order or put in your 911.

Dan Nagy 09-07-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by porsche42 (Post 15272271)
I think that was a sarcastic remark, I think at $3500 it's overpriced for a car with a base price of $180k or even a $100k Porsche.

Yeah, no worries, we are buds. And yes, indeed, these cars should come a bit better equipped than a Hyundai.

Dan Nagy 09-07-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15272342)

Oh, wow. Can I just have your car?

TwinTurbo420 09-08-2018 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15272342)

Thanks!

So, you just disconnected the ("unneeded") 5 rear speakers & the Sub-W under the dashboard.
I think this is the amp you have under the passenger seat:
Gladen One 70.6
6 channel amplifier
70 Watt per channel @ 4 Ohm < 1% THD+N
http://mosconi-system.it/product/gladen-one-70-6/

If so, those specs look good!

I also like the fact that you have not lost any storage space.

How did you decide which speakers to use? were you able to do any comparisons?

I wanted to hear Focal speakers even just on display but was unable to find a single shop that had them displayed. The Focal website listed several shops in my area that supposedly had a Focal display, where you could listen to various Focal speakers. But...none had it.

I also like the sound insulation material placed in the doors.

I don't like $8,500. Especially on top of what you had already paid to option Bose. I'm betting you wish you had just ordered the base audio system & then done this aftermarket upgrade.