Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Performance Exhaust... Hitting the mark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:08 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Vektor Performance Exhaust... Hitting the mark?

Getting feedback from enthusiasts is always great, as it can often steer a product design. Case in point, we're looking for some feedback based on an exhaust setup we've developed. We laid out our goals from feedback based on reviews from many sources: TV programs, magazines, YouTube, forums, Facebook, Instagram and so on. The checkboxes or product goals list is pretty hefty, but I feel we've compiled it in order of priority for most, but certainly not all. One caveat here is that this is a NON-PSE setup.

1) Make 'Sport' mode the 'Normal' mode sound.
2) 'Sport' mode needs MORE volume!
3) OEM fitment and level of quality
4) Emissions Compliant
5) More power
6) Look stock to not draw the wrong attention

So looking at this list, it's pretty daunting. It's a lot to ask for, without costing a fortune.
Did we hit the mark?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:17 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Love the look of the non pse exhaust and the light bar on the 4s. love the blue too!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

sounds pretty good but always hard to tell from a video .... looks like you are pretty close to my neighborhood .... doing anything for the 991.1????
Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Getting feedback from enthusiasts is always great, as it can often steer a product design. Case in point, we're looking for some feedback based on an exhaust setup we've developed. We laid out our goals from feedback based on reviews from many sources: TV programs, magazines, YouTube, forums, Facebook, Instagram and so on. The checkboxes or product goals list is pretty hefty, but I feel we've compiled it in order of priority for most, but certainly not all. One caveat here is that this is a NON-PSE setup.

1) Make 'Sport' mode the 'Normal' mode sound.
2) 'Sport' mode needs MORE volume!
3) OEM fitment and level of quality
4) Emissions Compliant
5) More power
6) Look stock to not draw the wrong attention

So looking at this list, it's pretty daunting. It's a lot to ask for, without costing a fortune.
Did we hit the mark?

https://youtu.be/CW7JkXnjv2A

Just getting ready to upgrade my 991.2 C2 non-PSE exhaust. Is system ready for real world and any details. Headers, sport cats or cat-bypass. Sounds great so got my attention. Thanks
Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Sounds bad to the bone. If i had non PSE i would pop it. Just put the akra on my T today (with PSE), this sounds comparable or better in your video. Some footage under load can be very revealing, especially if you have good equipment.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Sounds bad to the bone. If i had non PSE i would pop it. Just put the akra on my T today (with PSE), this sounds comparable or better in your video. Some footage under load can be very revealing, especially if you have good equipment.
Agreed about the "under load" part. I've found the sitting-still/revving videos to be minimally useful in making a decision. I'm more interested in what an exhaust sounds like under load and on the road (on-throttle drive-by, off-throttle drive-by, moderate vs full acceleration, etc.). That is where I'll actually be using and hearing it. I previously did before & after YouTube videos of another exhaust on my prior 991 with these kinds of examples. And on a 991.2 I'd like to hear a product in normal and sport plus as well since the popping isn't so strong there.

A challenge I've always found with the exhausts I've seen, heard, or even tried is trying to find one that is richer and moderately louder than OEM, but not so loud that I'm embarrassed in situations when the car is out in the general public and not just around a bunch of enthusiasts. I've personally tired of the popping aspect of our cars' exhausts and use Sport very little in my 991.2 because of the excessive popping in that mode only. I found the popping with my 991.1's aftermarket exhaust to be just way too much and sold the exhaust just for that reason. I had my son do some drop-throttle drive-bys with that exhaust on loud and it was almost as if someone set off a bunch of M-80 fireworks. I removed it the next day.

All that said, it does sound like your proposed product is off to a good start. So far on this car I've written off trying to do an aftermarket exhaust for the reasons stated above. Maybe you can convince me and many others here otherwise. Thanks for trying to do this right and best wishes on a huge success!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:39 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Love the look of the non pse exhaust and the light bar on the 4s. love the blue too!
I couldn't agree more! It's a great look

Originally Posted by mikeearly
sounds pretty good but always hard to tell from a video .... looks like you are pretty close to my neighborhood .... doing anything for the 991.1????
VERY hard to tell from vids. I took a bunch in our dyno room under the assumption that the sound deadening would get us a clean sound sample, but that wasn't the case. In my opinion, that was due to the car being 18" off the ground on the dyno. Once outside the video sounded more to real life.

Thanks! Yes, reasonably close. No plans for the 991.1 at this time, but you never know what the future will bring.

Originally Posted by USGooner
Just getting ready to upgrade my 991.2 C2 non-PSE exhaust. Is system ready for real world and any details. Headers, sport cats or cat-bypass. Sounds great so got my attention. Thanks
Thanks! Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss further, since we're not production ready yet and we'll likely need to start a new 'product' thread once we're 100% set to go.

As a side note: this car also does have out Vektor Performance Headers installed. That in itself does make the exhaust more crisp (less middle) and more turbo sound.

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Thanks! I thought I might be able to get video on the dyno under load, but there is just too much roller noise. I did try to get a road sample in our industrial park the other evening (after hours), but after a cursory check for anyone still at work, I found a local law man tucked in the weeds. Thank god I checked first! I have an OK camera, but might look at a GoPro and see if I can get sounds from the back of the car. Although that's not 'real' either.

Originally Posted by StormRune
Agreed about the "under load" part. I've found the sitting-still/revving videos to be minimally useful in making a decision. I'm more interested in what an exhaust sounds like under load and on the road (on-throttle drive-by, off-throttle drive-by, moderate vs full acceleration, etc.). That is where I'll actually be using and hearing it. I previously did before & after YouTube videos of another exhaust on my prior 991 with these kinds of examples. And on a 991.2 I'd like to hear a product in normal and sport plus as well since the popping isn't so strong there.

A challenge I've always found with the exhausts I've seen, heard, or even tried is trying to find one that is richer and moderately louder than OEM, but not so loud that I'm embarrassed in situations when the car is out in the general public and not just around a bunch of enthusiasts. I've personally tired of the popping aspect of our cars' exhausts and use Sport very little in my 991.2 because of the excessive popping in that mode only. I found the popping with my 991.1's aftermarket exhaust to be just way too much and sold the exhaust just for that reason. I had my son do some drop-throttle drive-bys with that exhaust on loud and it was almost as if someone set off a bunch of M-80 fireworks. I removed it the next day.

All that said, it does sound like your proposed product is off to a good start. So far on this car I've written off trying to do an aftermarket exhaust for the reasons stated above. Maybe you can convince me and many others here otherwise. Thanks for trying to do this right and best wishes on a huge success!
See above for under load, but I agree. The sound clip is good for what it sounds like if that's all you're doing, not for driving. I hope to get some clips this week from a stationary standpoint.

Sound is always one I struggle with immensely since it is soooo subjective. I agree, the burble is a bit much for everyday, but when feeling rambunctious I don't have a problem with it. In sport mode this exhaust is louder. Now I have ridden in some LOUD cars, as I'm sure some of you have as well. Loud as in dirty looks in traffic, people rolling up windows, scaring old ladies loud. In sport mode I wouldn't say I get any more 'looks' that the car already gets. Although, it is HOT here any most have their windows open. I did drive it one evening from my town into a small city 10 miles-ish away, and back in sport mode (windows open) and while it's quite a bit louder than stock, I wasn't annoyed... but again, this is subjective.

Thanks for the kind words! I definitely like the feedback and in the end feel the feedback will give the enthusiasts more of what they really want in a product.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

I missed this, I thought it was your headers lol. So this is another product? You have an exhaust for non PSE?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Personally, what i like is better dyno curves, along with a lower pitch exhaust. Volume is already decent with PSE on. Putting the X51 Powerkit on my S helped with the dyno curves and helped a litttle bit with the pitch of the exhaust note, but more of everything would be better..
Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I missed this, I thought it was your headers lol. So this is another product? You have an exhaust for non PSE?
Potentially yes, another product; exhaust for non-PSE cars.

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Personally, what i like is better dyno curves, along with a lower pitch exhaust. Volume is already decent with PSE on. Putting the X51 Powerkit on my S helped with the dyno curves and helped a litttle bit with the pitch of the exhaust note, but more of everything would be better..
I personally prefer plots over sound, since sound is so damn subjective to what 'good is. I do agree that the stock setup needs more volume. This has been an overwhelming observations from the masses as well. I don't think anyone has dipped into the throttle on 'normal' mode and thought "that's just too loud" :P
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Bumping for any additional feedback.

Car has not been available, but still planning on taking road shots.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Bumping for any additional feedback.

Car has not been available, but still planning on taking road shots.
This is a little off topic, but do you have a website that we can look at your products?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:38 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tay101
This is a little off topic, but do you have a website that we can look at your products?
Website is in the works. For now we've been providing info and taking orders via PM, e-mails, and facebook.

If you ever want to see what we've got in the works, feel free to checkout our Vektor Performance Facebook
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

And here it is...

http://www.vektorperformance.com

More products coming

Old 12-04-2018, 04:22 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

had a few questions, so here's a few pics...

Quick Reply: Vektor Performance Exhaust... Hitting the mark?