Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

For those of you saying "just drive it" or "don't worry about the car" a large part of this is the OP's personal comfort level. It's not just about the car, it's also about how you feel in the car.

I've lived in 4 different metropolitan areas in my life, and all 2 are always in the top 10 worst traffic in the country every year. One of them should be (Houston). I've had jobs 8 miles from my house and I've had jobs where my sites are spread around and I'm doing close to 40k per year (37,100 is my current record, hopefully never to be beat. It was fun watching a 3 year / 36k mile warranty evaporate in 11 months). Sometimes there are work arounds (back roads). Other times not. I have to say in commuting in the 911 this week, I couldn't wait to get my GTI back. And it's not for some romantic notion of saving the car. It's simply much less comfortable and more stressful to drive that car on my current commute. For me, every alternative has crummy roads, boring straight highways and traffic. Which way I go simply increases or decreases the crappyness of the roads, the frequency of stop lights and the window of traffic. There is simply no time to enjoy the car whatsoever on a commute. As some people wishfully said, simply driving a 911 doesn't necessarily bring a smile to your face or make the commute better. Sometimes it just makes it suck.

Now, if I were back in NY and could detour the highways by ripping through back roads like I used to do? Different story, completely. But here, no way, it's a major suck. Having PDK would certainly make it better, but it would still not be as comfortable as my GTI. One day last week I took a new way home which had terrible traffic. A brand new 991.2 GT3 and I kept pace in stop / go traffic for about 40 minutes. He looked pretty miserable....
Old 08-31-2018, 11:04 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switching from a 993 C4S to a 991.1 C2S PDK for all these reasons. 30mi NYC/NJ commute is just not manual trans compatible for me anymore.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge ;-)