Talk me off the ledge ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 PM
PacPaliPorsche
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Get the 911 dirty and keep it that way. Enjoy it. Consume it. Remember, you own it for this life... not for your next life or it's next owner. Acquire miles, stone chips, smiles and memories. If you found out today was the last day of your life, wouldn't you wish you had driven the 911? Live.
Hear hear!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Esq.
I feel that by driving a car like a 911 daily it just becomes "your car" and loses some of its specialness. Variety is the spice of life.
I'm totally there with you... But traffic has gotten so bad there's fewer and fewer "good 991 days" in the week. it's ironic that I looked so long to find the 991 I wanted, a stripper, white (no sunroof, manual) and it ends up biting me in the rear end... This car will *not* do 2 mph off the clutch ;-)

Thanks for all the good advice and particularly from those in similar situations. I like the #3 idea best too, but it's 1 more car to insure, pay taxes on, depreciate, and park. Mostly park - limited space in garage/driveway. I thought about replacing (991+Beater) with a single Alfa Quadrofoglio (500+ hp, pretty, I like alfas)... But the depreciation numbers on that car made my head spin, and it's still kinda too nice for my commute probably... Maybe the trick is to empty my garage and sell the 72 911 which gets doesn't get driven much either - but I fear I'd regret that later...
Changing job: good idea... best idea. But I have 2 more years till I make a pension so nope...
Old 08-29-2018, 06:28 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I think your situation is a bit different because you have TWO 911s. A PDK bare bones 991 would be the most ideal commuter car...depreciated enough and good for our Bay Area traffic.

I'd probably do #3 in your situation. One fun 2 door, and a somewhat fun commuter.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

If I had to drive to work, it would be a cheap lease like a Fiat Abarth.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Take the back roads to and from work. It will put a smile on your face.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

I do #3. Honda (Acura) SUV as the daily appliance that costs nothing to maintain/fix - and Porsche's for the good days :-)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:37 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily a VW Touareg TDI but drive the 991to work on occasions and on the weekends
Do what works for you, but since you have 2 911's, I suspect you want to keep driving the 911's
Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I could tell you were a #3 guy before you said you probably were. Let go of one of those 911s man. I've had up to three Porsches at a time several times and I feel better when I just release one and see someone else enjoy it. My daily is an amazing high mileage Cayenne, I love driving it, it was cheap enough (21,500), and I'm not too concerned about it staying dirty for weeks and scratches from folks at work rubbing their computer bags and such up against it. I'll just polish it once a year. The 911 is a treat for me that I really don't want to drive everyday, I love the excitement I get when I take it out for a weekend in the mountains or even a quick run to get groceries. To each his own, I personally like having my dream car once or twice a week. If I didn't get a chance to drive my 911 though I would get rid of it. If you really want to keep it sell the older one and get an old 996 with Tiptronic and have more fun driving to work. I've found I'm most happy when I have a high mileage older Porsche I don't have to be OCD over. Before my Cayenne I had a high mileage 2005 Boxster I drove to work everyday and didn't worry about. You get my drift . Hey if a VW will do that for you get an older one, why does it have to be new?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 PM
eroc0808
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

If the daily commute is seriously stop and go the whole time then who gives a crap about a fun commuter. What kind of fun are you having standing still? Buy a cheap used suv and make sure it runs well and AC and heat kicks ***. You got a suv to haul **** when you need too...bonus. IF someone throws eggs at it, dents it, keys it, steals it...who cares. After you drive that thing all week hop in the 911 on the weekend and go wring its neck even if its just for a minute. You will LOVE the 911 over and over again and justify keeping it. Thats what I do. My commute to work is 7 minutes and I'm usually leaving work dirty and greasy from working on cars so I just drive the beater....buts its Porsche beatdown time when the weekend comes.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:37 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Same issue. But I told my wife just last weekend...F THEM ALL. #1 all the way.

As far as the appliance (mule) goes, I just figure mine will just need to get turned in with fewer miles against the lease next December.

Life is too short...enjoy and smile as much as possible.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:15 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I could tell you were a #3 guy before you said you probably were. Let go of one of those 911s man. I've had up to three Porsches at a time several times and I feel better when I just release one and see someone else enjoy it. My daily is an amazing high mileage Cayenne, I love driving it, it was cheap enough (21,500), and I'm not too concerned about it staying dirty for weeks and scratches from folks at work rubbing their computer bags and such up against it. I'll just polish it once a year. The 911 is a treat for me that I really don't want to drive everyday, I love the excitement I get when I take it out for a weekend in the mountains or even a quick run to get groceries. To each his own, I personally like having my dream car once or twice a week. If I didn't get a chance to drive my 911 though I would get rid of it. If you really want to keep it sell the older one and get an old 996 with Tiptronic and have more fun driving to work. I've found I'm most happy when I have a high mileage older Porsche I don't have to be OCD over. Before my Cayenne I had a high mileage 2005 Boxster I drove to work everyday and didn't worry about. You get my drift . Hey if a VW will do that for you get an older one, why does it have to be new?
This!
I work 2.5 miles from home. I drive the 911 only on weekends as my daily drive to work isn't long enough to enjoy any car. I drive my '13 Subaru Outback to and from the office. I don't worry about it getting door dings from the careless people who frequent my office building. When the weekend comes around, I upgrade to the 911. What a treat it is. Makes me appreciate the car more as during some weeks I don't open the garage until Friday when the Porsche comes out. Makes it very special for me and keeps the "newness" of this car which is my first 911. I don't feel cheated by not driving it as it gets plenty of use on the weekend. Sometimes joy rides in the twisties, sometimes runs to Costco or breakfast with the missus. This arrangement works for me and I don't stress about the Porsche getting beat up unnecessarily. Plus, this way I only drive it when in a more ideal mindset (relaxed, not thinking about other things that distract from the enjoyment of the car, etc) to use this beautiful machine anyway. By not driving it everyday, the 911 will never be "an appliance" for me.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Greg, you do not mention your timeline. Is this your life for the foreseeable future (or forever)? Or could you be moving in a few years? Obviously, the best strategy depends if you are staying or going.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
This!
I work 2.5 miles from home. I drive the 911 only on weekends as my daily drive to work isn't long enough to enjoy any car. I drive my '13 Subaru Outback to and from the office. I don't worry about it getting door dings from the careless people who frequent my office building. When the weekend comes around, I upgrade to the 911. What a treat it is. Makes me appreciate the car more as during some weeks I don't open the garage until Friday when the Porsche comes out. Makes it very special for me and keeps the "newness" of this car which is my first 911. I don't feel cheated by not driving it as it gets plenty of use on the weekend. Sometimes joy rides in the twisties, sometimes runs to Costco or breakfast with the missus. This arrangement works for me and I don't stress about the Porsche getting beat up unnecessarily. Plus, this way I only drive it when in a more ideal mindset (relaxed, not thinking about other things that distract from the enjoyment of the car, etc) to use this beautiful machine anyway. By not driving it everyday, the 911 will never be "an appliance" for me.
Almost my exact situation. Except I drive about 7 miles each way to the train station in my awd VW Tiguan. When the weekend comes around its 911 time. So fun, so special each week.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default different take

Keep the 911 as a special car but buy a rice burner or jeep as daily. German cars make terrible beaters due to maitenance cost. I'm thinking of a 370 with tech package as a daily (no ugly fold down compartment in the middle where the LCD should be). i prefer a manual (even in traffic). the Japanese manuals take less effort. I love my old bmw 545 sport but it just cost too much money. Perhaps the automatic is taxing the machismo not the car.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

More cars are better than less cars. Don't sell just add until you run out of storage/parking space.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge ;-)