Talk me off the ledge ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Talk me off the ledge ;-)

Not a For Sale ad, a dilemma... I have this base 991.1 that I took forever to find and bought as option-less as possible (and manual) in order to keep forever with minimum issues, and possibly track again like I used to do all the time before kids... And also because I've had one sort of 911 or another forever and I'm used to having one...

The reality of it is different: the car is still too nice for my daily crap commute into the city, potholes, 2 or 3 crazies attempting crashing into me per day, tight parking dents, idiots on bicycles running red lights, homeless folks throwing empty beer cars at it, and the frequent return trip with 1 hour slog at 2 mph, which a manual 991 cannot do w/o clutch action (even w/o touching the gas and letting the clutch out gently it'll do 4 mph minimum ;-)..... So what happened is I ended up leasing a super cheap "appliance" electric car for city duties and only end up drive the 991 once a week to work at most (so my testes can redescend) , and I realize the track stuff is just not gonna happen time wise, if anything I'm more into go-karting closer to home (easier, cheaper, no early wake up call on w/e)...

The lease on the testosterone decreasing "appliance" expires in a few months...Decision time... I'll miss its practicality and torque, but it's very blah... But, if I'm honest I'm sometimes embarrassed by the 991 - because of the the places I have to drive through where it sticks out like a sore thumb, where I park at work it's also a topic of conversation for some people... I generally don't care, but I work in a ****e part of town, if you put it all together, plus the fact I rarely get to use it properly, hmmm...

Anyone been in a similar situation ? My choices are

1) "F the world", the car is partially depreciated, drive it daily and drive the crap out of it for the foreseeable future. If it needs a clutch in 20K miles because of traffic so be it, if it gets dinged to hell, so be it. It's still cheaper overall than buying a nicer comfier commuter and eat depreciation on that....
2) Sell now while it's still nice and worth more. Eat depreciation on an alternate car that replaces both the leased appliance and the 991, but then it needs to be somewhat fun and comfortable, and automatic, but not as flashy as the 991. Thinking a CPO there, something like an S5, C43 AMG, Golf R, not totally boring but more discreet than the full on porsche...
3) keep it and replace the outgoing lease with something less appliance like but equally cheap - used Mini cooper S or GTI (cheap, 15-20K) ? That has parking/insurance implications (x2) and I'd prefer reducing #s and combining...

Opinions welcome... Probably reassignment of the post to off topic too... ;-)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I have the same thoughts as my office is not in the best area either, but everytime I drive it I change my mind. I actually cannot drive my car enough. I take it everyday. Drive it like you stole it.
Eric
Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

I see your issue and fully understand it. That said, my personal decision would be #1......and I really mean that.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

#1 would be a no brainer had I picked a PDK, but I really wanted a manual and it makes it a PITA driving home bumper to bumper... I guess that's exercise though...

Do you think my depreciation math is correct though ? The car is a 2013, 20K mi.. Not sure what that's worth, mid 50s at most ? I figure if I put 20-30K more in 3 yrs I'm still losing less $ than depreciation + downpayment on a beater, or a lease ? Probably ?

obligatory picture helping nothing at all

Old 08-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I chose option 3. Went with a GTI. Great driver.

I have been dailying the 911 this week as the GTI is in the body shop due to getting rear-ended. Commuting down into Houston in a manual trans, dealing with the wheel-eating cart paths they call roads, man. Let's just say I'm counting the hours until I can get the GTI back.

Plus, it's a lease so when I got rear-ended, I wasn't worried about diminished value, carfax reports, etc. Just fix it up and go. Insurance covering deductible since I was rear-ended. At first I was worried about finding the perfect body shop to make sure the repair was 110% but then I thought..,I like the car, but it's a lease. Same thing when a rock destroyed my windshield. I didn't worry about OEM unobtanium windshield glass. Just call Safelite and forget it.

Edit, re-read your post. The best part about the GTI is that it's fun as any sub 30k 4 door hatchback has any right being. I got the sport package with the e-diff and it is a hoot and a half.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 08-30-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:06 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I never knew people put so much thought into what they drive. I pick a car that is fun to drive, I buy it and drive it as much as possible. Cars cost money. Cars depreciate. Cars get damaged. If you like the 911, drive it, if its no fun driving, go trade it in on a car that works. I personally bought a 4S so I can drive it all year round in the winter. I have a rack to carry xskis, snowboard, mountain bike and road bike. I still live my life, I just have a little more fun getting there.

Good luck, don't over think.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:17 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd go with #3 based on your scenario. I am thankful to have a really great commute so daily duties is no sweat for my light-option 991.1 base, but if I were in your situation I'd really want a DD.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2018, 03:40 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say option 1 is what I would do. I drive mine every day no matter the weather and go to the grocery store, etc. But, I have PDK that makes those horrible traffic days where you are rolling along at 3 mph behind an accident much more bearable than a manual tranny. I give horrible advice tho, because I average trading for a new 911 every 2 years.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Look at your root cause. It's not the car.. it's your location. Change your job
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg D. I am in the same situation and fully understand your thought process. Maybe not so slight differences are that I have PDK to make it less painful in traffic but winter weather and absolute lack of fun roads around here make it far more painful. Yet, I have settled on #3. I drive the 991 when possible but have a more practical leased BMW that I use like an appliance. I also understand the desire to simplify but when it comes down to it, I can't see myself without the 911, even if I only go long stretches using it as a glorified commuter car.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Look at your root cause. It's not the car.. it's your location. Change your job
THIS! I retired after 27 years in the military and took a job paying half of what I could have made if I went to DC or Tampa. I live in a small town in Alabama, with no traffic, no crazies, great roads, small town feel, and low cost of living. Some days I drive the 991, others the 911 3.2 Cabrio, and then sometimes the wife's Cayman. I accept that a fender bender could happen and that is part of life. As much as I love my cars, they are temporary in the grand scheme. I invest in family and time with them and this location provides me that. I don't miss the money.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the 911 dirty and keep it that way. Enjoy it. Consume it. Remember, you own it for this life... not for your next life or it's next owner. Acquire miles, stone chips, smiles and memories. If you found out today was the last day of your life, wouldn't you wish you had driven the 911? Live.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I have the same problem.. I love my 911 (wont give it up) but don't love daily driving it.... I have decided to keep the 911 and drive the truck... (until I can convince the CFO that a 911, truck, and commuter are needed)

My suggestion: Keep the 911 and buy a Miata to daily drive. (or another small/fun car)

Before the 911 - I had an ND Miata. Every day was like driving a go-kart to work. And even when you were doing 30mph - it felt like 80. Small enough to park most any spot and no matter how hard I beat on it - i would get 30 MPG.. cost nothing to maintain...Never cared where I parked it, didnt care if it was dirty and it always made me smile. Hmmm- why did I sell it?
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Not a For Sale ad, a dilemma... I have this base 991.1 that I took forever to find and bought as option-less as possible (and manual) in order to keep forever with minimum issues, and possibly track again like I used to do all the time before kids... And also because I've had one sort of 911 or another forever and I'm used to having one...

The reality of it is different: the car is still too nice for my daily crap commute into the city, potholes, 2 or 3 crazies attempting crashing into me per day, tight parking dents, idiots on bicycles running red lights, homeless folks throwing empty beer cars at it, and the frequent return trip with 1 hour slog at 2 mph, which a manual 991 cannot do w/o clutch action (even w/o touching the gas and letting the clutch out gently it'll do 4 mph minimum ;-)..... So what happened is I ended up leasing a super cheap "appliance" electric car for city duties and only end up drive the 991 once a week to work at most (so my testes can redescend) , and I realize the track stuff is just not gonna happen time wise, if anything I'm more into go-karting closer to home (easier, cheaper, no early wake up call on w/e)...

The lease on the testosterone decreasing "appliance" expires in a few months...Decision time... I'll miss its practicality and torque, but it's very blah... But, if I'm honest I'm sometimes embarrassed by the 991 - because of the the places I have to drive through where it sticks out like a sore thumb, where I park at work it's also a topic of conversation for some people... I generally don't care, but I work in a ****e part of town, if you put it all together, plus the fact I rarely get to use it properly, hmmm...

Anyone been in a similar situation ? My choices are

1) "F the world", the car is partially depreciated, drive it daily and drive the crap out of it for the foreseeable future. If it needs a clutch in 20K miles because of traffic so be it, if it gets dinged to hell, so be it. It's still cheaper overall than buying a nicer comfier commuter and eat depreciation on that....
2) Sell now while it's still nice and worth more. Eat depreciation on an alternate car that replaces both the leased appliance and the 991, but then it needs to be somewhat fun and comfortable, and automatic, but not as flashy as the 991. Thinking a CPO there, something like an S5, C43 AMG, Golf R, not totally boring but more discreet than the full on porsche...
3) keep it and replace the outgoing lease with something less appliance like but equally cheap - used Mini cooper S or GTI (cheap, 15-20K) ? That has parking/insurance implications (x2) and I'd prefer reducing #s and combining...

Opinions welcome... Probably reassignment of the post to off topic too... ;-)
I live in a suburb about 35 miles outside of Manhattan (Long Island). The traffic is legendary, in and out of the NYC, (not daily but often) stinks. But, I drive the '17 base, manual, every day and smile all the time. Life is short, drive your car and enjoy it. Forget about the other nonsense.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Esq.
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like option 3 and that's what I do. I drive my 911 to work in the summer and sometimes lighter traffic days, and also on the weekends or the track. I have a F80 M3 for my commuter/kid car. Best of both worlds. Get something that fits your budget i.e. GTI for your commute and keep the 911 for the weekends. I feel that by driving a car like a 911 daily it just becomes "your car" and loses some of its specialness - YMMV that's just my opinion. But when I'm driving my M3 for a few days or my wifes X5 then hop into the 911 it feels that much more special. Variety is the spice of life.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge ;-)