Sponsored by:

Which plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018 | 11:50 PM
afk
Racer

Default Which plenum?

Hi All,
I saw the GREAT video on the plenum installation.

https://www.ipdplenums.com/products/...-dfi-carrera-s

Is there a better one?

Im about to do a servicing and thinking i might do this also...

Thanks
Old 08-28-2018 | 08:47 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by afk
Hi All,
I saw the GREAT video on the plenum installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr7yc4yp1M

https://www.ipdplenums.com/products/...-dfi-carrera-s

Is there a better one?

Im about to do a servicing and thinking i might do this also...

Thanks
IPD is the gold standard and I love mine. On earlier cars, this would be paired with a larger Throttle body and had higher gains because of this.... There's no other plenum available that I've seen.

The difference is subtle - worth it to me... only saw 7hp on mine with just the plenum(no tune) but strong mid and high improvement. "Strong" for NA.

Filters, tune and headers will be the power combo and collectively give you 30-40bhp. Beyond that there's no bolt ons to help with power. FWIW this setup pulls harder than a power kit/GTS car at double digit speeds but the factory power kit pulls harder after 120mph with more top end.
Old 08-28-2018 | 08:50 AM
garfunkle
Banned

The guy in the video is good intentioned.... but he's ignorant and the video was hard to watch.

Saw this at 8:13 and stopped.... Who gets a power kit engine cover for these cars that will never be seen? FYI - the plenum will not be an option with the power kit.
Old 08-28-2018 | 10:50 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by garfunkle

The guy in the video is good intentioned.... but he's ignorant and the video was hard to watch.

Saw this at 8:13 and stopped.... Who gets a power kit engine cover for these cars that will never be seen? FYI - the plenum will not be an option with the power kit.
I don't understand your comment at all.

His car has a power kit, what does that have to do with his video on replacing the plenum?

If you order a car with a power kit, should you remove the badge because its not visible?

I think its great the person shared his video of replacing the plenum. I know I could not do it, I also learned it might be faster and better to pay a shop to do it.

Not so sure why you feel its necessary to talk down on this video. Or why you bring up the power kit badge.

I greatly appreciate all the Porsche owners sharing their knowledge.

Last edited by good2go; 08-28-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2018 | 11:37 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by good2go
I don't understand your comment at all.

His car has a power kit, what does that have to do with his video on replacing the plenum?

If you order a car with a power kit, should you remove the badge because its not visible?

I think its great the person shared his video of replacing the plenum. I know I could not do it, I also learned it might be faster and better to pay a shop to do it.

Not so sure why you feel its necessary to talk down on this video. Or why you bring up the power kit badge.

I greatly appreciate all the Porsche owners sharing their knowledge.
A power kit car will not work with the IPD plenum. The Plenum in the power kit is the primary source of additional power and has a much more sophisticated design. You'd be crazy to swap it with the IPD. But - he clearly does NOT have a power kit since his video has him removing a plastic plenum.... His video opens by stating the IPD plenum is the same as a GT3... It is not. It is a very much improved version of the plastic one though.
Old 08-28-2018 | 12:08 PM
good2go
Pro

A power kit car will not work with the IPD plenum. The Plenum in the power kit is the primary source of additional power and has a much more sophisticated design. You'd be crazy to swap it with the IPD. But - he clearly does NOT have a power kit since his video has him removing a plastic plenum.... His video opens by stating the IPD plenum is the same as a GT3... It is not. It is a very much improved version of the plastic one though.
My mistake, on the 991.2 a power kit has more to do with larger turbos, not a plenum. Sorry, your comment now makes sense. thanks.
Old 08-28-2018 | 01:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

maybe he won the powerkit engine cover at a raffle, and got it for free, lol
Old 08-28-2018 | 01:42 PM
basic666
Racer

funny i just saw the video the other day. For the gains vs how much work he had to do, and how much of the car he had to take apart, don't think its worth it IMO... especially on a new car
Old 08-28-2018 | 02:00 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by basic666
funny i just saw the video the other day. For the gains vs how much work he had to do, and how much of the car he had to take apart, don't think its worth it IMO... especially on a new car
Different strokes... Some of us just can't help ourselves from tinkering. If you are doing the filters anyway then this isn't that much more work. Add headers and a tune and its the best version of a naturally aspirated Porsche. No dip on cam and the car pulls much harder. The plenum alone is a good mod but compounds with BMC filers and tune. Headers are icing.
Old 08-28-2018 | 02:13 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

So, if I'm understanding everything that has been said, it would be pointless for me to install an aftermarket plenum on my 2018 Carrera 4 GTS?
I was considering it, but now I'm thinking otherwise.....
Old 08-28-2018 | 02:19 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
So, if I'm understanding everything that has been said, it would be pointless for me to install an aftermarket plenum on my 2018 Carrera 4 GTS?
They make a plenum for 991.2

I believe the comment above was for non turbo engines.
Old 08-28-2018 | 02:19 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Not pointless and if I had a newer car then I would do it. The gains will be better on a boosted engine but not as dramatic as a tune.
Old 08-28-2018 | 05:21 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

There was a dyno test performed here a few weeks ago on a 991.2 Turbo aspirated GTS. The IPD Plenum made LESS power throughout the majority of the power band.
Stock plenum cannot be beat on the 991.2, for now..
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:15 PM
afk
Racer

Thanks for everyones comments.

I feel the video is GREAT - its does a good job of showing the entire teardown and installation. This gives good insight into what you would only find out after opening the car up. This helps me with confidence and makes things easier. (If i was looking for hard numbers on performance and part numbers i would not watch a user YouTube video -- Thats what books, dealers, and forums like this are for.)

Different strokes... Some of us just can't help ourselves from tinkering. If you are doing the filters anyway then this isn't that much more work. Add headers and a tune and its the best version of a naturally aspirated Porsche. No dip on cam and the car pulls much harder. The plenum alone is a good mod but compounds with BMC filers and tune. Headers are icing.
Thanks garfunkle - since I have the sport exhaust and sport plus -- I was actually thinking about the plenum and an air intake - leaving the stock exhaust in place.
I've read that the 991.1 comes with headers? Is that not true?

Thanks
A
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:23 PM
blurum
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
There was a dyno test performed here a few weeks ago on a 991.2 Turbo aspirated GTS. The IPD Plenum made LESS power throughout the majority of the power band.
Stock plenum cannot be beat on the 991.2, for now..
hi PTS-BRG. If the IPD provides downgraded perf compared to stock, is there a Porsche branded plenum on the GTS that will act us an upgrade on the base Carerra plenum?
also was that test on a non tuned car and would not it require a custom/pro tune to account for diff airflow on IPD plenum ?

Quick Reply: Which plenum?