991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018 | 06:38 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

"is there a Porsche branded plenum on the GTS that will act us an upgrade on the base Carerra plenum"

I have no idea if the plenum on the GTS is the same or different from the one on the base.

In the dyno tests shown on this forum, the same car was dyno tested on the same dyno on the same day before and after installing the IPD.

Apart from about a 1500 rpm window where the IPD showed minimal gains, the stock showed larger gains over the remaining 7000 or so rpm power band.

Dont hold me to the exact numbers, but that was the gist of it. Nothing worth buying or installing as it decreased overall performance.

This was on a tuned car I believe. But, it wasn't custom tuned for the plenum so it remains to be seen if that will effect anything.
The stock plenum was also in the same car on the same tune and no one has yet made a custom tune to accommodate for it either..
Old 08-28-2018 | 07:03 PM
afk
Racer

@PTS-BRG - so that was on a 991.2 - is there a similar comparison for the 991.1 ?
Old 08-28-2018 | 07:58 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by afk
Thanks for everyones comments.

I feel the video is GREAT - its does a good job of showing the entire teardown and installation. This gives good insight into what you would only find out after opening the car up. This helps me with confidence and makes things easier. (If i was looking for hard numbers on performance and part numbers i would not watch a user YouTube video -- Thats what books, dealers, and forums like this are for.)

Thanks garfunkle - since I have the sport exhaust and sport plus -- I was actually thinking about the plenum and an air intake - leaving the stock exhaust in place.
I've read that the 991.1 comes with headers? Is that not true?

Thanks
A
It does come with headers. The stock headers aren't awful but can be improved on. More so is the replacement of the stock cats with performance cats.

So for exhaust, many manufacturers get away with sub par construction... some are even popular on here. For Headers, the amount of heat is incredible and you need to stay with something reputable like Cartographic, FVD, Kline, etc. TUV certified is a good place to start. Don't shop on price.... Remember short tubes are for low/mid range and long tubes are for top end. Stay away from anything with a bad collector and not using butt welds.
Old 08-29-2018 | 01:59 AM
afk
Racer

i think i will leave things alone for a while to see how the car is stock.

But - i believe i'll do a plenum and an intake in a year.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8367...nd-x-pipe.html

current plan is
oil, oil filter, k&n engine air filter, 2 cabin filters, spark plugs, serpentine belt
I'll take a video and post it when done.
Old 08-29-2018 | 04:06 AM
NCThirteen
Advanced

As far as the power kit fan on that guys car, I do believe he says he bought it used. He has the 991.1 which we know is the non-turbo 3.4. I was thinking about doing the plenum but watching him have to drop the engine scares me a bit. I wonder if the engine bay in the coupe has more room than the cab?
Old 08-30-2018 | 03:38 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

This is the Dyno that PTS-BRG says does nothing.

I read it differently than he does. Prior to 4,000 rpm you can really ignore on a dyno. That can be down to the operator getting set up and running the car, and preparing. (No one races below 4,000 anyway. But information below 4,000 is not accurate anyway. ) So the IPD is showing a nice 16 HP bump, for a bolt on piece. A very cheap bolt on piece that claims 15Hp. It delivered. After 5,500 it basically equal. With temps and a million other things going on, those lines are basically equal. Now this is with a canned stage 1 tune. Air flow mods are not taken into account until stage 2 tune. So anything either side of that nice 16HP gain will be adjusted with stage 2 tune.

As someone who actually has the IPD, it makes power. How much, well this dyno says 16HP, you can't dispute that. Its in blue and red. I look forward to COBB Stage 2.

Quick Reply: Which plenum?