Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone take delivery with alignment off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Did anyone take delivery with alignment off??

So one of the first things i noticed on the car is that the steering wheel is slightly to the right when going straight. Given that i am doing a considerable amout of left lane driving with road camber to the left, its starting to become increasingly annoying. 3 questions.
1. Anyone else have this at delivery?
2. If so, what was the course of events?
3. Who does a good alignment around chicago? Both Pcar dealers that have done my previous cars left wrinkles in the leather on the steering wheel around 8 oclock.. assuming from the tools used to perform the procedure. Is this unavoidable? (I guess 4 questions...lol). 2k break in miles hopefully i didnt mess up my tires already
Thx
Old 08-28-2018, 02:45 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

4 out of 5 cars I buy have this problem. I want my steering wheel dead straight. It drives me nuts when it's not. Most manufacturers will warranty an alignment for the first 12 months. Not sure about Porsche.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Why would anyone take delivery with the steering wheel off center? Not trying to be snarky. If it is a serious issue, why not insist the issue be resolved before you take delivery?
Old 08-28-2018, 03:47 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

More like...did anyone take delivery with alignment on?

Alignment, if you really want it right, takes several hours at a minimum. My GT4 was nice from the factory but not as nice as the red PCNA press car, which benefitted from a full-day alignment with an ex-race tech. My GT4 after a six-hour alignment was nicer than the press car. YMMV, but I've wondered whether I should have aligned the 991.2 right away ever since taking delivery. My experience suggests the Carreras are not as sensitive to alignment as the GT cars, but...
Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Why would anyone take delivery with the steering wheel off center? Not trying to be snarky. If it is a serious issue, why not insist the issue be resolved before you take delivery?
I took delivery 7pm right before 4th of july holiday and was so excited to get my car I just let it go... its not really bad, but now I want it laser straight because break in is over and I drive the car harder.
I wouldve probably paid money to just sit in my car at that point I was giddy like a school girl.
I think Im gonna shell out some $ for a proper alignment, but dont want the dealer to do it. They "aligned" my Macan Turbo and the steering wheel was still off center and the leather had wrinkles in it in the lower left quadrant. Not happy about that one. If they pulled that on my T it would destroy my relationship with them (and I really like them).
Old 08-28-2018, 11:20 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

When I picked up my CPO'ed 2013 with 2700 miles it killed the tires by 9K..... front tires were cupped and showed inside tire wear.

For some reason the car had some negative camber dialed in.

Once re-aligned all is well and now the car has 87K on the clock and the future sets of tires wore evenly.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
More like...did anyone take delivery with alignment on?

Alignment, if you really want it right, takes several hours at a minimum. My GT4 was nice from the factory but not as nice as the red PCNA press car, which benefitted from a full-day alignment with an ex-race tech. My GT4 after a six-hour alignment was nicer than the press car. YMMV, but I've wondered whether I should have aligned the 991.2 right away ever since taking delivery. My experience suggests the Carreras are not as sensitive to alignment as the GT cars, but...
+1 The 1st thing I do is take my new or used car to my alignment shop and get it aligned to my specs. Usually take about 2 hours and a large tip but worth it.

Peter
Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I was really glad to see this thread. I, too, am quite particular about alignment and steering wheel position. The first of the three P cars I've had needed alignment, which my dealership did under warranty. What I've noticed about each of the three recent P cars I've had is that, without actually measuring it, it appears visually as if, when driving straight on an even flat road, the steering wheel appears to be turned very slightly clockwise. It may just be a visual phenomenon that's attributable to my perception, I'm not saying it's actually off center; I've come to expect it, and it doesn't interfere with my experience of my cars at all currently (despite my obsession with alignment).
Old 08-28-2018, 11:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Had my first alignment done about 2 weeks ago by The Porsche Exchange. After 60k miles, only the right rear tire was out of factory spec. They honored an old special pricing letter I had saved from 2017 and decided to do it after getting new rear tires. Paid $299. I figured that's fair, since the indy shop would be about $200.

Going in I told my Service Advisor my steering wheel is dead nutz straight, and let's keep it that way!

All is good. No marks or nothing on my car. In & out in about 90 minutes. I could see through the shop windows the Tech wrenched on the chassis for about 40 minutes.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:57 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Pete,

I wasn't paying too much attention at delivery of my 991, but I can give my $0.02 RE: alignment

Had my Cayman aligned by Fischer in Lake Barrington...thought they were very meticulous and did a great job. Was not pleased with another local shops alignment experience (PM or text me).

991 is due for an alignment...planning on taking it to Fischer
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Thanks J. This is exactly what i plan on doing. Glad these guys do alignments
Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

If you do a lot of left lane driving and the road slopes to the left for drainage, expect the steering wheel to be slightly clockwise when going straight. None of my Porsches have needed aligbment, no uneven tire wear, and this new 991.2 is no exception. But I'll be watching this one with interest because it's the first I've had with RAS. So its a bit more complex...
Bought mine from Napleton Westmont. I believe when their new 60,000 sq ft building is finished this Fall with its 22 service bays, one will be a quick aligbment check lane. This seems to be the trend at dealerships.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I only have one point of reference as my other 2 porsches were used. I know the wheel is supposed to be offset in the opposite direction to the road slope in any car. But it shouldnt be this way going straight.. It needs alignment. Hopefully RAS and FAL doesnt make it super expensive. Ill keep you posted on whether additional steps are needed with tgis equipment.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Hopefully RAS and FAL doesnt make it super expensive. Ill keep you posted on whether additional steps are needed with tgis equipment.
It does and will increase cost.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Lets see what fischer says. If its $$$ i may bug my dealer to do it under warranty. But getting it "dead nutz straight" if the only way to go.... lol

Quick Reply: Did anyone take delivery with alignment off??