Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do dealer appraisal number$ come from?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Like Button.....PRESS
Old 08-25-2018, 09:40 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Whether the dealer negotiates to buy your car outright or, if he takes it in trade, the one thing that remains in his mind throughout his negotiations is- "what can I get for it at auction?"
The reason for that is very simple. If the dealer needs money immediately and, he's short of cash, he may have to turn his inventory into cash very quickly and not lose money. That means taking his inventory to auction.

To you, as a buyer with a trade, what that means is the deal your getting includes cash for your trade which the the dealer believes is auction value.

Generally speaking, if you're going to trade in your car for a new one, do not reveal your trade intentions to the dealer. Instead, negotiate for the best cash/finance/lease/ deal you can get without a trade. Once those figures are established, then introduce the possibility of a trade. At that point, you'll find out the true auction value of your car.

All IMO.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:36 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting these answers are all over the board. I sent this thread to my buddy today (he is a Porsche sales manager). It would seems all dealers must have a slight variation on how this is done. Mine has his method that basically looks at a Porsche trade in two ways, yeah if it is totally rough then the customer probably won't get much of an offer because he likely won't be able to put it on his lot. This doesn't happen much in his region. He looks at all sources but what he looks at most is what is the same car selling for today (that includes condition and mileage and maintenance it will need). He uses software that shows the price of Porsches on the market and ones that have sold. He has found he wins more times than he loses this way. I know what he gave me for my old 911, Cayenne, and my Boxster and I know ~ what they sold for. I also know what he had to put into them, you know that money he gives to another area in the dealership, and yeah that matters against his numbers. He made a decent amount on the 911 and it sold in a couple of days, and it wasn't a ton of money, but hey it was something and like I said they only had it for about a week/10 days from the time I traded at the most. Oh and he now has a new customer and as we know repeat business is SO important. The Cayenne he lost money, we both thought he could catch the Diesel market before other dealers started dumping the fixed ones on the market. Hey pooh happens. The Boxster was a tiny profit, maybe, the worst part is I felt he low balled the heck out of me. It was the cleanest one in the country and low miles. I guess with Boxsters it is all about season and advertising. In the end some dude got an amazing deal. The car has since been back in recently and sold quickly within a couple thousand off the price sold 4 years ago. Funny how the market goes.

Quick Reply: Where do dealer appraisal number$ come from?