Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Vent Louver Dysfunction/Implosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018 | 05:27 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Default Air Vent Louver Dysfunction/Implosion

Well, I'm not quite sure how this happened. But the top "louver" from my center air vents worked its way loose. And when I turned the AC on high, it came flying out.

As I was trying to figure out how to wiggle it back in, another piece (small metal clip that I guess "synchronizes" the up-and-down movement of the horizontal louvers) popped out as well.

Goddamn!

I tried searching Rennlist, but couldn't find any air vent repair hacks or louver wisdom.

Anyone know how the hell these go back together? Peering into the vent, it looks like frustratingly tight and delicate surgery to me....

Center air vent, missing the top louver:

The two parts:

Many thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2018 | 06:07 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

That just looks super fiddly and like a major PITA to me.

Your signature says you have a 991.2, I'd say this has warranty written all over it. Porsche only details it as a complete unit, so theres no exploded view. They will probably just replace the whole piece, it should just slide out with the proper trim tools.

Skip to page 608 when you DL the parts list. (tried to attach it, RL won't its giving me an error)

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...originalparts/

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 08-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2018 | 06:33 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Super fiddly is an understatement. To add insult to injury, it was getting hot in the car while I was fiddling, so I turned on the car. The AC kicked in and blew the two pieces out again. This time the little metal tab fell right next to the PDK shifter, on that slick convex aluminum area. When i tried to grab it, it slid down under the trim, lost somewhere down inside there. That earned a hearty “fooooookkkk!!!”

I don’t even know why I bothered. You’re right; it ought to be warranteeable. Will take her in this week...

Quick Reply: Air Vent Louver Dysfunction/Implosion