Sponsored by:

PCM, Apple CarPlay & Porsche Connect

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PCM, Apple CarPlay & Porsche Connect

Since purchasing, I've been accessing music from my phone through Apple Carplay. I will change to terrestrial radio (and satellite radio) by hitting the tuner button below the PCM touchscreen. When I am listening to terrestrial radio, there was a small Apple Carplay icon (a small circle with a triangle in it) just to the right of the signal strength indicator in the lower left hand of the PCM that I would touch and it would return to Apple Carplay.

That changed.

On Sunday, I was experimenting with the Porsche Connect app, as I wanted to try out the function of transferring a destination from the connect app to the car. After a bunch of fiddling around, I think I read that you had to establish a wifi connection between your phone and the car in order to transfer destinations to the car's navigation.

Once I connected the phone via wifi, I was able to transfer destinations fine, however a side effect of this has been that when I want to go back to Apple CarPlay from the tuner, the little circle with the triangle that signified Apple Carplay has been replaced by a different symbol (like a phone with a small windows panel on it). The only way to go back to Carplay is to find the large icon in the PCM menu - which is not a terribly easy thing to find. (certainly not as easy as a small icon thats always present at the bottom of the screen.

Can someone guide me as to where I've gone wrong? How do I gain back the CarPlay button on the bottom left of the screen - and can I not have both that and transfer destinations from the iphone app?

Also did the wifi connection kill the bluetooth connection? If I don't plug the phone in, it doesnt seem to allow me to stream music from the phone?

Quick Reply: PCM, Apple CarPlay & Porsche Connect