Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About ready to pull the trigger on new 2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love those wheels.. but it probably sat because it's a manual, and it is pretty basic/low options. Florida would certainly warrant ventilated seats, so missing that was probably a turnoff for some.

Price is ok- but I'd squeeze more just for fun. I bought a similar story except a coupe, highly optioned (burmester, full leather dash, etc., sport, premium+) manual trans car and got 25K off MSRP this past May. Only thing that would bug me is sitting in the FL sun for that long... my headlights were beginning to delaminate after sitting for about the same time in Monterey CA weather. Warranty replacement.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:04 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
One thing to note is it was manufactured 17 months ago, so tack on shipping time from Germany and it has been on the lot a little less time than that. It is a fairly basic build except from the premium wheels. Often in a S'4S people would have been looking for the Sport Package, leather seating, and/or the premium package or premium package plus.
I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the selections I see (other than I prefer the black dials), it is just a fairly basic version of a fairly premium model.
Yes it is a bare bones 991.2. I could care less about a C4 or a cabriolet, but wouldn't buy one without Full Leather w 14 Way Sport Seats, BOSE, SC, PSE, SPASM, and Premium Pkg Plus. But that's just me. The new 2017 C2S I bought 8 weeks ago had all that plus LED PDLS, PDCC, RAS, Carbon Fiber Interior Pkg and Red Seat Belts. And it had the Endurance Racing Edition Pkg. I wanted all that at the discount I negotiated. I had already negotiated with several out of state dealers to get to my level of discount. I then took my best deal to my local dealer who had one they brought over from a dealership they recently bought in Appalachia. They beat my best deal, partly because of my relationship with them, and punched the new car Warranty the day I bought it. During my negotiations, I also negotiated a super price on the X51 Power Kit before purchasing, with a $3k discount on the installed Power Kit.
But this is my 10th Porsche since 1970, and i knew exactly what I wanted. I was able to work hard at it and get a big discount, as im retired with plenty of time and energy to spend on this purchase.
But that C4S Cab is still a very sweet Porsche. If it's a C4S Cab that is wanted, this might be the perfect one for a first Porsche. Id make certain it has at least 4 years of warranty, unless expecting to flip it within 2-3 years.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Definitely an interesting, kind of rare, unique build in my opinion. But why don’t you come up with a price that you know you would love it at and offer it? I got 20% off a leftover ‘17 about 8 months ago (a 2s manual coupe, though fairly optioned up w premium+sport packages), if there was ever a chance to get 25% off maybe an odd spec car that’s about to be 2 model years old maybe this is the one to see it happen? If it doesn’t happen maybe not meant to be.

btw love those wheels, I have them in normal unpainted form, seem relatively rare.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:55 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

My car sat for a long time too, it's just nobody wanted to pay what they were asking, I talked them down. My dealer still has a 2017 C4S and they finally punched it. I'm beginning to think the economy is real good and if someone is going to spend that much they want to order to spec and get exactly what they want.

Hey it's a nice car, I agree no leather and manual would turn me away but that is only because I now have leather and am sold on it. Double check if they have punched it, you want to know when the warranty starts. Those are nice wheels I would love them on mine. I knew my car was almost 2 years old but after 7 other Porsches I knew I would be keeping this for a while and am not concerned about resale value. If you buy your first Porsche and worry about that you'll not enjoy it as much as you could.

You might be able to get $25k off also, give it a try.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:28 PM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee, I wish I knew where I could get $25,000 off. The best I have seen is 6% off thus far.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'd love to know where you guys are finding these leftovers with huge discounts... or even the 15%, 1.9 mentioned. I'd be happy with a base manual.

it seems you can only search new inventory in close radius to a zip code.

QUOTE=GreginNH;15236618]
Gee, I wish I knew where I could get $25,000 off. The best I have seen is 6% off thus far.
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Weird build, IMO. Stripper + Manual is great for base Coupe. For cab 4...not so much.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Weird build, IMO. Stripper + Manual is great for base Coupe. For cab 4...not so much.
Agreed. I think you've stated the explanation most succinctly.

The base price of a 4S cab means a buyer is already paying a roughly $23k premium over a base model. When you're willing to pony up that much extra, you are also expecting a lot of the niceties to be on the car as well. As sparsely appointed as this one is, if you were looking to save money but wanted a cab, most would just buy a more nicely appointed base one. With such a big discount, it becomes more interesting to consider, but on the flip side would be harder to resell too.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds fine, sometime it’s just the color, options, price, that turn people off. My car was built in 11/2016 delivered to Colorado Springs Porsche dealer in late December 16, it was a highly optioned C2, MSRP of $116k, in Miami Blue, just what I was looking for, it was traded to my SoCal dealer in August 2017, my guess larger market, I picked it up two days later, it had 105 miles on the clock (it was on a test drive when I went to see it, appears several people were interested in it as sales guy two people out for drives in the morning before I got it) , was not thrilled about that but considering it was a the perfect build for me, and I got about 8% off and they tinted the glass for me ($600 value) I jumped on it. If I ordered the same car only 3% off. I will deal with the fact it was moved several times over 9 months and test driven for the savings. There was a scuff on a seat bolster too, they took car of that. All in all I saved about $6000+ over ordering the exact car. Just check it over well and make sure the warranty has not been punched. I will put money on it the inter door sill is scuffed up, make them replace it.

Last edited by titan7; 08-23-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

OP- just keep in mind that if its the wrong car, with the wrong options, it won't matter what you saved. I was considering a very basic 991.2, i think the MSRP was about 94k (doesn't get much more stripped than that). When I realized the stereo was meh, no power seats, self dimming mirrors, etc...I relented on the budget and found a car pretty much to my specs. Do I wish my current car had more toys, sure, but no real remorse, as the basics are more than covered. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
They offered him 20K off without even asking, they want to get rid of car, if he asks for more ya never know . Guess I won't say how much I got off plus a free wrap...
Old 08-24-2018, 12:33 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
There may still be a few approaching that around the country. But they were not low MSRP 911s...
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I would just add these few things:

1) the very same dealer that gave me a great deal on a manual c2s that had sat around too long was shockingly stingy on discount when it came to ordering a cT (maybe because he wanted me to buy the c2s that I had my main interest in), so I get how people could have really varied experiences on pricing

2) at the time, I think spending 6-figures for a car for the first time in my life was a bigger trigger-hurdle than the discount %... I really found it a significant thing to get over! But I wanted a great deal too.

3) once I did it, I never looked back on the price, in fact, I’ve enjoyed my car so much I’d advise others to just get your deal done on whatever you want and get on to enjoying it, I doubt whether you get 3% or 20% off, get a perfectly optioned one, or just option dartboard, or it has 30 or 1500 miles on it is going to mean squat compared to the smiles and miles you’ll compound once you get it.

good luck!
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guesses as to not sold:

MT vs PDK (gear heads like MT, average buyers go for PDK - they think "automatic")
no 14 or 18 way seats
no premium or premium plus package

Unique build, if you like it, go for it.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Maybe most Floridians don't go for AWD with their Cabriolets?

Funny how MT is a curse for some models, and a draw to other models.

Quick Reply: About ready to pull the trigger on new 2017