Sponsored by:

Allocation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Allocation question

When a dealer has an allocation, is that particular allocation tied to a build date?

So, If you buy a C2S today & dealer has 3 allocations for C2S, is it possible that one is for a September build, another for a November build & the 3rd for a December build?

If this is true, what happens when the dealer has not sold a CS2 for the upcoming September build by late August? Does he try to swap allocations with another dealer or else that slot will not be used & Porsche will not build the car? Doesn’t seem efficient.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:39 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Yes, and if the dealer does not have a buyer, the dealer may trade it away, but more likely will configure the vehicle itself for stock to sell once it arrives. I don’t know the breakdown, but many 991 are ordered “for stock” and those are the ones you see sititing on the lot.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:59 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Thanks!

If your dealer does not have an allocation for you, they trade with other dealers to get one.
Usually, buyers want their new car ASAP. I know I do. So, if your dealer gets you an allocation for a November build with a January estimated delivery, you have the commission number, that is it. No chance of having the build date moved up a month or so?

You were just not as lucky as you could have been had your dealer obtained an allocation with an earlier build date, say September, with a November delivery. You must wait till January or maybe a couple weeks early. (or a couple weeks late)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure what date you are using for build date, but I ordered June 6th, Vehicle Fixed V250 (no changes) Jul 30, Vehicle is expected to be completed V300 on Sept 14. I don't take delivery V900 until Nov 2. What code are you calling "build date"?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 187 Posts

I ordered beginning of June and I picked my car up 2 days ago. I think it all depends when you dealer has the allocation.
Eric
Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I ordered beginning of June and I picked my car up 2 days ago. I think it all depends when you dealer has the allocation.
Eric
Do you know what date your V250 was?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:24 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put in my C2S order at the beginning of May with the dealer hoping to get mine into the system as a July build. When things settled down from their allocation meetings with PCNA, they were only granted a couple of T allocations in July and my C2S was their next allocation slotted into mid-October (late-December delivery) ... my V200 was June 28. My dealer asserted that they also checked around with other dealers but no improvement could be found with a dealer willing to trade a C2S build. BTW, I did make a couple of schedule-wise insignificant changes a couple of weeks ago and Porsche seemed to used that opportunity to slip my build another week which puts my scheduled delivery to just following New Years. My dealer insists my car will show up in time for Christmas.

While my dealer is listed as a Premier Dealer, that doesn't seem to provide much sway and with no formal associations with other Porsche dealers, they also didn't seem to have much of a network for trading allocations.

Meanwhile, I patiently wait for what I know will be a wonderful car ... I did go through a similar wait for my last car (Mini Cooper S Clubman) bought just over 10 years ago, it was worth the wait then and still stands as my pride and joy to drive.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Do you know what date your V250 was?
6-29-18
V300 was 7-13
Original delivery date was 8-30, it was about 3 weeks early. It was a TTS build not sure if the GTS builds are different?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Correct. An allocation is for a given build date. They move around a little (couple weeks) depending on parts sourcing etc. and move a lot (back) if you order paint to sample, leather to sample, CXX, euro or PCNA delivery.

Since there are so few 991 allocations around, it’s not surprising your dealer could not “trade up” to an earlier date.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by good2go
Not sure what date you are using for build date, but I ordered June 6th, Vehicle Fixed V250 (no changes) Jul 30, Vehicle is expected to be completed V300 on Sept 14. I don't take delivery V900 until Nov 2. What code are you calling "build date"?
I have heard the term "Build Date" have not seen it in writing.

My Build Sheet-Retail says: "Vehicle Status: V200 Delivery Date determined."
Has a Comm #.
I'm assuming since my SA has verbally told me the lock date & the Estimated delivery date that Porsche has already scheduled a date for the car to enter the body shop. That is start of production which takes 1 week, I believe. I know the time can change after the car is done & wait times change after that for all kinds of reasons we never know. Some cars sit in parking lots for weeks waiting for a ship.

My question is regarding the build date, when my car is to enter the body shop. Can THAT date change?

From the responses here, I think that there are updates to the "V" #.
Apparently, my V200 will change to V250 (lock date) & then to V300 (completion date) & finally V900 (delivery)?
I think the car enters the body shop for start of production very soon after the lock date. IDK if it is next day or 3 days later.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your SA should be able to print out a schedule for you which includes the complete plan for your build. Even after your plan is initially published, the dates can move around for a variety of reasons including, as I mentioned earlier, a change in your config being made prior to your lock date (V250). In case you haven't yet seen one, here is a sample of a build and delivery plan (mine) that your SA should be able to provide you something similar.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:24 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

The actual dates can move, but they tend not to be much (a day or two up to a couple weeks) unless you change your order.

The big one to remember is that your lock date can come earlier so get what you want and get it in ASAP.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Is the VIN# available before V810 and if so, when?
By the way, I ordered a Targa 4S in July and the delivery date was Jan. 25th but I changed it to a Targa GTS about a week afterwards and the delivery date is Nov. 30th.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:21 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
Your SA should be able to print out a schedule for you which includes the complete plan for your build. Even after your plan is initially published, the dates can move around for a variety of reasons including, as I mentioned earlier, a change in your config being made prior to your lock date (V250). In case you haven't yet seen one, here is a sample of a build and delivery plan (mine) that your SA should be able to provide you something similar.

My build just locked (V250), how do you track from now until delivery? Is it a manual process of bugging SA for updates? Or is there an online system where you can query your build status?

I know I am a little impatient but it would nice to track the build / delivery in real time.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Allocation question