Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Nothing online.

Have to bug SA.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

An online tracking would be great!

@ Ecosse911, Once your car is built & gets on a ship @ Emden port in Germany, you can use the name of the ship to track it all the way across the Pacific Ocean until it reaches the E or W coast USA port. (Assuming you're in the USA)

There is even a smartphone app you can use.

Then you wait for it to get on ground transportation & once that happens, even your dealer (supposedly) cannot track the truck. It just shows up one day @ your dealer.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Nothing online.

Have to bug SA.

Wow! Kind of disappointing that they cannot provide an online update... even a token system that gives tracking bar, or set up email or text notification that it cleared the next V status... it’s not rocket science

You can buy a $5 pizza from Domino’s and track it from its birth to arriving on your door step 😁

Pay $150K for a car and you have to constantly bug someone in the hope of getting a response 🤔

Seems like something is missing in the whole Porsche buying experience... but I guess the drive is so alluring that folks forgive the buying experience
Old 08-13-2018, 01:45 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

In fairness, I don’t know of many other car manufactures that provide a detailed build to door schedule online to customers....what purpose would that serve? If i was Porsche I would rather my customer be in close contact with my dealer network to ensure there is good communication throughout.

I don’t think it’s very hard to have the dealership which you just purchased the car to provide you updates. I know mine did, my SA would log on every week and give me the update (buffers are quite big and usually gets to you quicker than expected). I didn’t have to bug them, they just did it. That is part of the buying experience and a positive one at that.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
In fairness, I don’t know of many other car manufactures that provide a detailed build to door schedule online to customers....what purpose would that serve? If i was Porsche I would rather my customer be in close contact with my dealer network to ensure there is good communication throughout.

I don’t think it’s very hard to have the dealership which you just purchased the car to provide you updates. I know mine did, my SA would log on every week and give me the update (buffers are quite big and usually gets to you quicker than expected). I didn’t have to bug them, they just did it. That is part of the buying experience and a positive one at that.
Agreed that there is little motivation for a automotive manufacturer to provide direct communication. It just seemed like something that I would be interested in if it existed. Also thanks for providing the details of your own personal experience. I will ask my SA to provide regular updates.

I have learned a great deal on RL and along the way realized that the buying experience can have its quirks based on the dealership and location. I’m in the Bay Area and I ordered mine locally. The demand seems to overwhelm the supply and it leads to delearship games.

Anyway I am really excited about getting my first Porsche, I’m 6months in and still another 3months out. At least my build is now locked so I don’t need to panic about $$$s every time I open the configurator 😎
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Is the VIN# available before V810 and if so, when?
By the way, I ordered a Targa 4S in July and the delivery date was Jan. 25th but I changed it to a Targa GTS about a week afterwards and the delivery date is Nov. 30th.
I'm hoping that the VIN becomes available at V300 (or at least V331) ... in the past when I got my Mini, I've was able to confirm which ship the car was on based on the VIN and perusing shipping inventories.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
I'm hoping that the VIN becomes available at V300 (or at least V331) ... in the past when I got my Mini, I've was able to confirm which ship the car was on based on the VIN and perusing shipping inventories.
Your SA can tell you what ship you car is on and you can track the ship via marine traffic or other apps/websites. Pretty sure once the car enters the body shop you get your VIN, but I forget.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Delete... posted in wrong thread.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:24 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

2cents about waiting after ordering. Last time I ordered my spyder the first week allocations were out...I had put my deposit down the day of the autoshow where it debuted. Near the end of the US market run or whatever I got to order one of the last two or three cars built. The first car took forever to come... seemed like 6months or more, but the second spyder I ordered at the end of the run came out in less then 2months. These were cars I spec'd. The two cars were not exactly alike I noticed differences in the two just because of the build delta, for instance, I don't know if it was that tire specs changed. Anyway, this time around I'm more patient having gone through this before and I'm so excited about my new cars. The last ones were fantastic so I can only imagine with the gt bits the spyder is going to be epic this time around imho.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeanrabelais:
TennisGuy (11-20-2019), Westcoast (01-24-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 02:24 PM
718gt4!
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
2cents about waiting after ordering. Last time I ordered my spyder the first week allocations were out...I had put my deposit down the day of the autoshow where it debuted. Near the end of the US market run or whatever I got to order one of the last two or three cars built. The first car took forever to come... seemed like 6months or more, but the second spyder I ordered at the end of the run came out in less then 2months. These were cars I spec'd. The two cars were not exactly alike I noticed differences in the two just because of the build delta, for instance, I don't know if it was that tire specs changed. Anyway, this time around I'm more patient having gone through this before and I'm so excited about my new cars. The last ones were fantastic so I can only imagine with the gt bits the spyder is going to be epic this time around imho.
I heard from Porsche last week. Taking delivery of my Spyder at Atlanta and they said it will be here end of August - first of September. I opted for the XPEL option - they apply it before I take delivery. That adds 2 weeks to the delivery time so should be sometime in early to late September which is great - a little cooler here in coastal NC then. Can’t wait 👍
Old 07-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911

Wow! Kind of disappointing that they cannot provide an online update... even a token system that gives tracking bar, or set up email or text notification that it cleared the next V status... it’s not rocket science

You can buy a $5 pizza from Domino’s and track it from its birth to arriving on your door step 😁

Pay $150K for a car and you have to constantly bug someone in the hope of getting a response 🤔

Seems like something is missing in the whole Porsche buying experience... but I guess the drive is so alluring that folks forgive the buying experience
I think consumers expect too much information, and I think too much information is largely a bad thing because they only understand a little bit of what they are given, and have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. My industry (auto body) uses something almost identical to what domino's has for updating customers about the progress of their repairs and I would say I have more angry customers because of it then I had customers when they were kept completely in the dark 10 years ago (unless they called for an update).

When things change, everyone claims they rather know all the details, but reality is no, they would probably be happier not knowing because people make wrong assumptions, incorrectly assume things, and get angry over trivial things thinking 'if i ran your business I'd run it perfect!'. Those domino's style info updates are always done with 'if everything goes right' estimating. In my industry you can tell people nothing is guaranteed until it is done, yet you still have people booking vacations assuming everything will go perfect... or better than perfect (they book a bunch of service work they need the day it is supposed to be done, assuming it will be done early). You have people looking at the 3rd to last update and showing up expecting it done, and then getting angry because they didn't read the 2nd or last update saying it was delayed. And then when you are early people get pissed off because they didn't expect it for another day or 2, so didn't plan for it.

Plus in the case of ordering a new car, do you really want to see your brand new Porsche go in and out of production and then back in and out or hang up there for some unknown reason, or enter the bodyshop at port for 4 weeks because some 18 year old lot jockey backed something into it? Does it help you mentally knowing that it is now tainted? or would ignorance be bliss?
Old 08-20-2021, 05:49 PM
stove
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Sharing info from my recent experience:

Reached out to dealers July 28th for a Cayman GTS, no allocations were available from any of my 4 local dealers. Got a call back the same day from one local dealer saying they had an allocation available. They mentioned they were going to get a vehicle from the factory for the dealership to sell, but instead would swap out that vehicle with my custom order.

I went in two days later and put down a deposit to secure the allocation. My lock date is on the 24th, I can share my estimated build time once I get it.

Build sheet if anyone is interested (not sure if options matter as data points)

Quick Reply: Allocation question