Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed an intermittent creak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018 | 11:48 AM
minthral
Pro

Default Fixed an intermittent creak

When cornering, I noticed a creaking sound sometimes. I initially thought that it was coming from the rear seat area, but everything felt tight and I couldn't reproduce the sound. One day I was stretching at a stoplight and discovered the noise can be repo'd by leaning/pushing on the seat side bolster. The seat creaks reflects the sound to the back center rear, so its not obvious to track down.

The seat could use a cleaning and I noticed that the leather was not as smooth and soft (compared to the passenger side). Did some research to conclude that maybe the leather was drying out and everyone recommends leatherique kit, so I got that. The kit is very safe and wont damage anything (per the instructions anyway).

I applied the conditioner very generously with a foam applicator (provided in the kit). I almost 'soaking' the seat with extra attention to massage it deeply into the side bolster seams. I did it early morning while it was cooler outside because the kit recommends you let it sit one day in the hot sun with windows rolled up. Once you apply the conditioner, you can't move the car. Typical of the south, by mid afternoon there a random severe thunderstorm approaching my area with warnings about hail, so I had to use a t shirt so I could sit in the car to pull it into the garage.

The next morning I used the cleaner solution to massage the seats with a towel (provided in kit). There was plenty of conditioner/cleaner mix left on the towel after I was done with the seats, so I used the same towel to clean the whole interior and then let it sit for one more day. I applied to the plastics too (the instructions it can be used on vinyl too).

On the third day, most of the stuff had soaked in. I used a wet microfiber towel to remove any remaining tackiness, which wasn't much. Probably wasn't necessary.

The whole interior looks great now! Probably better than new. Black used to be a little faded, but now its deep black and the creaking is gone after thorough testing. I read someone else had luck with spraying WD40 inside at the *** that folds the seat. Using a leather conditioning kit seems like a better solution.

When I was shopping, I looked into a used 2015 GTS that had black leather interior (alcantara delete). It only had 5k miles on it...owner had many cars so he kept it mostly parked. Pristine condition, but everything inside creaked like crazy and that was a turn off. Probably could have been fixed with the same method detailed above.

Maybe not a bad thing to do every year or so. I only used 1/2 the 8oz kit and left 1 applicator and 1 towel to use a second time. It seems to 'lubricate' everything. Effect is similar to what 'Mothers back to black' does to plastic...used that in my last 'standard interior' boxster with great results.

Oh and I found that the smoking package lighter plug has a tiny coil in it and that will make odd 'springy' sounds when it moves around in the glove box or in the tray detached. Removed it from the car.
Old 08-11-2018 | 01:01 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Yep, the seats tend to creak a fair bit - some is attributable to the leather needing to be moisturized. I wouldn't recommend using WD40 for lubrication - better to use silicone spray for a low-impact attempt and then white lithium grease if you need something a bit more heavy duty, but white lithium grease can be very messy.

Quick Reply: Fixed an intermittent creak