Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when self-healing PPF doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 01:14 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do when self-healing PPF doesn't?

A few months back, I was on the freeway in the wild wild west that is San Francisco's East Bay, when my car was hit by an unidentified, but very destructive, object (we'll call it a "VDO" for short).

The VDO sliced up the X-pel Ultimate on the front bumper cover, then bounced up to the A pillar where it gouged the paint in two places and punched a small indent/crack into the windshield.

Were this a pick-up or SUV, I'd probably just send some anonymous curses in the general direction of the construction and landscaping industries and call it a day. But it isn't - it's my beloved 911.

So I've tried leaving the car out to bake in the sun, which is supposed to help self-healing. Also tried pouring very hot water over the damaged area of the PPF, which is also supposed to help.

But months later, the PPF damage is still there. The area isn't big, but it's very visible.

Where do I go from here? p.s., if your answer is "OCD therapy" you might be on the wrong forum.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Heat gun.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Someone opened their car door so that the end scraped across the mirror PPF and tore it, but the paint was 100% saved. The original installer replaced it for free, but I gave him a good tip for the trouble.

In your case the area is quite a bit bigger and more complicated, but I imagine your original installer would make you a good deal on replacing it. It can't hurt to ask. Maybe it is covered under the Xpel warranty?!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Replace the panel.

Some wounds are too severe to “self heal”.

We’re not talking the Deadpool of PPFs here.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:05 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all. Sounds like a visit to the installer is next.

I do have a heat gun, but can't bring myself to try it there. . .
Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Sounds wise. I think the things you have tried would have done the job if self-healing was still viable. It would be bad to risk making things worse (paint or plastic damage).
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Thank you all. Sounds like a visit to the installer is next.

+1 Although using a heat gun can accelerate the self healing process, we would never suggest that our customers do it themselves! Self healing property of current films on the market are mostly for micro scratches and marring. The manufacturers just like to embellish the capability with severe looking tests. Any abrasions or heavy etching will be permanent and the self healing properties will diminish over time due to everyday use of the car. It's still a WAY better option than damaging your bare paint
Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never seen any non-insignificant damage actually heal, so take that with a grain of salt. I've just had to replace the damaged film. Usually it's covered under warranty.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would try heat, but I put some clear urethane in a couple of chips and it filled it, or try clear silicone
Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 AM
wutangmo15
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Ole east bay. I've also been hit by a VDO in my old car on 880. I've since moved and definitely don't miss driving there.

I don't think the ppf will recover from a tear that large. You'll probably need to replace the panel as others have said.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

For everyone’s info....self healing relates to microswirls in the top .5 mils of the film...film total, in most cases, is approximately 8 mils. So the self healing layer is very thin and needs to be cared for properly.

abrasions, chips, scrapes, etc. that penetrate deeper than the .5 mils, will often leave damage that cannot be “healed”.

best left to your installer to make the final call. I wouldn’t use any heat guns if I was a diy

Quick Reply: What to do when self-healing PPF doesn't?