Sponsored by:

When 370 is enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Read my post kid. I copy&post my last reply to you in another thread. It took me 10 seconds to do that. You were judging Carrera T owners in that thread as well.
I can't stand your post and I will speak out.
No one would judge you for buying a used GTS, but you should not call out people who buy a Carrera T and say they cannot afford something better. You have no idea.

Yes this is Rennlist, people love cars with all kinds of preference. We don't judge a car based on its price. Certainly we don't judge people by the car they purchase.

This is just freaking ridiculous.
I support you, big opinions from the kid who purchased his first 911 and a 2017 4S in May 2018 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1071...ly-please.html
and had to "putting down nearly 40k on this car (some of my savings, stock earnings, work bonus, and 18k from TDI buyback" so not sure why he can speak to owners of lesser car as that is all they can afford. One day he will learn about humility.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When comparing two similar models of what I want, the more expensive one is going to be better than a cheaper one for me. That’s uneducated? I don’t think so. Given money isn’t a factor (which it is for me and most people), I’ll take leather interior vs standard. PDK over MT. AWD over RWD. S over base. Burmester over bose. I’ll take PCCB. I’ll take 14 or 18 way seats. Exclusive color? Sure. Unique facy wheels? Yep. Lowest sportiest dynamic suspension...of course. Turbo or turbo s? Of course the S. Someone want to sell me a GT3 for cheaper than an S? I’m in.

If you drool over a cheaper slower car, okay. I never told anyone they’re uneducated or stupid or whatever because they like a base or T. I posted my opinion as to what works for me and why. Apparently some people didn’t like hearing that because it puts a hole in their beliefs. I’m sure my perceptive is way different than many here. Maybe its because im 20-30+ younger or that I don’t consider my car as a fun weekend toy. I bought it as a daily driver specifically for the handling aspect of it. I was planning on getting a new base car because I thought it was plenty fast, however gladly jumped on opportunity to get a loaded used C4S instead. If I didn’t, I’d probably be left wanting more after honeymoon was over, yet I’m happy (aside from considering better powekit).

Disagree? Okay, so explain yourself instead of grumpy comments like “ooohhh he said....what a moron...uneducated...kid...juvenile...stupidest thing i heard.” How did that add any value? Look in the mirror at who’s acting immature. I think my posts add plenty of value as why I personally don’t think 370 HP is enough or more isn’t too much. What do some of you want...everyone to go on an ‘i agree’ fest? That would be boring...though might save me some insults.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I support you, big opinions from the kid who purchased his first 911 and a 2017 4S in May 2018 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1071...ly-please.html
and had to "putting down nearly 40k on this car (some of my savings, stock earnings, work bonus, and 18k from TDI buyback" so not sure why he can speak to owners of lesser car as that is all they can afford. One day he will learn about humility.
Look at this useless insulting post. How did you add any value? Humility? What’s that even have to do with anything.

I drove a 981 base boxster for about 4 years 75k miles prior getting this. It was all I could afford at time.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 PM
ninja911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

Look at this useless insulting post. How did you add any value? Humility? What’s that even have to do with anything.

I drove a 981 base boxster for about 4 years 75k miles prior getting this. It was all I could afford at time.
Don't pay them any attention.... it's not all about power or torque. For Example, watch this race:

Love,
R_Rated
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 PM
ninja911
Banned

Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

You know, I just got word that someone I admired and cared about died today. Cancer got him, and fast. It sucks.

Kinda puts a different spin on this thread, so I'll ask again: Can a few of you edit posts with petty fighting and personal attacks, whether yours or someone you quoted? You may be entirely right, and it may seem like a big or unfair thing to extend some grace to someone else whether they deserve it or not. But that's my request of you this day.

It'd be nice if Rennlist represents the reprieve it often has.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for your loss!

Fast cars are fun, but some cars just punch well above their weight class in terms of how fun they are to drive. I think it was a 997 generation so-called base that was referred to as “secretly the best one” on Top Gear and I think it’s awesome that Porsche magicians can still pull it off even in the face of new regulations, engine size taxes and everything else with a manual transmission while everyone else goes flappy paddles, etc.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Cancer sucks. Had gotten more than one I knew well or loved. Sorry to hear Pete.

This thread was about the enjoyment of an amazing drive. Not an attempt to justify anything. Sometimes it’s not about anything more. And what’s better than sharing something you love with people who can relate?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow. You know, I've been a Rennlister since 2001...there have been *years* that I haven't posted because of the toxicity on a forum (993) - the 991 forum that I've been enjoying for the last 10 months has generally avoided this - but several threads over the past 3 months are just out there.

Thank you Pete, and others for trying to keep the civility - my view is that this is what John D envisioned when this community started.

I wasn't looking to buy a new Porsche last fall when the T came out - I was very happy with my 993. But the package captured my interest, for many personal historical reasons, as I have chronicled in a number of posts. For me, I would have probably bought the car with a 320 HP NA engine - as long as the whole car was worthy. The powerplant alone is less important to me than the package - and I think that's what Pete was posting about at the start of this thread.

Pete's journalism regarding the T and GT3T, and Base, and GT4, and the (less formal) journalism of a number of other people, has been rewarding reading for me - and I've enjoyed it immensely. Many of the criticisms and accolades accorded the car mirror my own, but not all of them. And I think this is what makes Rennlist great - we each get to contribute our experiences, knowledge, and enthusiasm for the collective enjoyment of the community. There are always grey areas (of course) - for example when someone is trying to use the community's collective knowledge for the (stated or unstated) purpose of deceiving a buyer down the road - when direct confrontation is called for, but those situations are few and far between. In general, the site is at its best when we debate without getting personal.

Let's try and live up to that, please. I'd like to keep reading for a few more years.

cheers!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Wow. You know, I've been a Rennlister since 2001...there have been *years* that I haven't posted because of the toxicity on a forum (993)
You don't say? That board was a snooty country club mess back then....
Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Question for 991.2 owners. I’ve tested GTS and C2S at the dealership. Both of them felt a bit lazy and laggy to me under my normal throttle. While all others kept saying how good the 3.0T is, my experience left me a bit unimpressed. Could this due to it hasn’t been driven aggressively and the transmission program has been “adapted” to some grandma-like driving style? My 4-yr-old w024 C63 felt much responsive to my input.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

put it in sport +
Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
People need to back off and put their thinking caps on..
When the topic initially talks about whether 370 Hp is the one, it automatically moves us to the 991.2 models, because 370 Hp is the Base 991.2 Carrera. For most of us this means - should i choose a Base, S or GTS 991.2? It does not include a decision about which 991.1, 997 or whatever else to choose. OK? Got it?
In that framework, it seems that what i said is still relevant:

"Let's be clear. Power is HP or KW. Power requirements increase exponentially with speed, as in speed cubed. So higher power is more useful on canyon runs, rural highways and interstates, motorways and autobahns. For many, driving in cities, burbs and expressways, in traffic where frequent squirts or bursts are necessary and pleasing :-) torque is a bigger factor. So more is always better, except in the slippery. 10% more is better. 22% more is better yet. They are all good. But more is better and more is more grins. Unless a speed cop is watching you :-( "
With all due respect, I think your trying to make an emotion and feeling into a formula - Pete's commenting about the feel and balance of the car and how it makes you feel. Not how much you need to depress the throttle to get ahead of the guy next to you in exiting the freeway. The point is: More power doesn't equal more fun for everyone, on their favorite road or in their desired use case. I can afford a lot more power, I don't need it and don't enjoy not being able to shift my car more often to keep it in the power band, for a sample of 1. Certain cars just feel better balanced and sorted to me than others. YMMV as well as your enjoyment criteria.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

First it's ok to want more power. If that's what works for you and you can use it responsibly in public or at the track that's why we all have choices that Porsche offers. If you choose more power it doesn't mean you don't like or feel the nuances of driving your car in the manner you like on country roads or canyon runs. Wanting more available power isn't always about "racing some guy off or on a freeway exit".
I have been fortunate to have had several 911 variants and a few early Boxster variants along with 4 early TT cars. Enjoyed them all for their unique driving experiences.
I totally understand where Pete is coming from which speaks to how good the new 911 cars are. I do prefer more "kick in the butt" at this time and not because I'm looking to road race every Hellcat I come across at a stoplight. I daily drive my TTS on horse country twisty back roads daily to work and enjoy my current ride as much and better than my previous 991.1 4S.
But I also understand my type of car and driving experience isn't best for all.

Quick Reply: When 370 is enough