Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   When 370 is enough (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1086722-when-370-is-enough.html)

stout 08-03-2018 12:01 AM

370: A real sweet spot

Or at least, it's enough for me in this car.

It's a funny thing, but the other evening I was out for a quick romp in the woods before the sun got too low and, corner to corner, I found myself not only sated by the thrust and pace of a "mere" Carrera, but wondering if I needed or even wanted more power. And the answer was...no.

This is funny to me because I drive all sorts of cars and have gotten used to 500-750 hp, and even 900 hp. Don't get me wrong...I like power when I have it under foot—but I find that the character of the engine matters far more to me: the way it makes its power, and how that power output ties into everything else about the car. The grip. The handling. The brakes. Etc. And that evening, as the air cooled (but was still warm) in those woods, this "mere" Carrera was a very, very sweet package.

That is all.

flickroll 08-03-2018 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 15187053)

It's a funny thing, but the other evening I was out for a quick romp in the woods before the sun got too low and, corner to corner, I found myself not only sated by the thrust and pace of a "mere" Carrera, but wondering if I needed or even wanted more power. And the answer was...no.

This is funny to me because I drive all sorts of cars and have gotten used to 500-750 hp, and even 900 hp. Don't get me wrong...I like power when I have it under foot—but I find that the character of the engine matters far more to me: the way it makes its power, and how that power output ties into everything else about the car. The grip. The handling. The brakes. Etc. And that evening, as the air cooled (but was still warm) in those woods, this "mere" Carrera was a very, very sweet package.

That is all.

Great post. All of us have different things that float our boat. Your story is perfect.

bkrantz 08-03-2018 12:26 AM

Stout, I'm with you--and love my 2017 C2. 370 hp is definitely "adequate", but just as important is the torque: 330 ft-lbs, kicking in at 1700 rpm. (And for people like me, the turbos keep it real at altitude.)

titan7 08-03-2018 02:06 AM

I love mine, I don’t track it and it’s already too easy to get illegal speeds to fast on the street, just not safe. The power is so linear, just perfect.

Randy M 08-03-2018 03:15 AM

These are the reasons why I ordered a T. Had a 997.2 GT3 and sold it after a short while.

TrackJunke 08-03-2018 06:31 AM

I appreciate your thoughts as I have been internally debating the same issue lately. I currently have a 997.1 Turbo which, if I am completely honest, have never really enjoyed as much as my previous 993 or 996 GT3 despite the > 200 hp power difference. I think that it comes down to simplicity and usability of performance. Your post is quite timely as I keep thinking the 991.2 base might be a good compromise to use as a daily driver.

groundhog 08-03-2018 06:50 AM

The joys of a great torque curve in a great car - hard to beat really :)

Bemo 08-03-2018 07:21 AM

Agreed that engine character, however everyone may define it, trumps power. My older DD comes with 240HP and I'm just as happy with it as I am with the 430 in the GTS.
Great post! :)

.2PDK 08-03-2018 07:26 AM

That is all.

Indeed it is sweet and for my needs anymore hp would be a wasted.

Chris - 97C2 08-03-2018 09:41 AM

Precisely why I just ordered a T! I do reserve the right for a tune at some point, however :)

USGooner 08-03-2018 10:22 AM

+1

shing911500e 08-03-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2 (Post 15187726)
Precisely why I just ordered a T! I do reserve the right for a tune at some point, however :)

Me too! Agree, Pete! And besides....it's all relative:

subshooter 08-03-2018 11:06 AM

I agree. This is exactly why I like driving my 981 over my .2.

COBB Tuning 08-03-2018 12:11 PM

That is all.

Pete- I think you should drive one with our flash and see how you like it. You might change your mind :)

-Mitch

Alec Syme 08-03-2018 12:22 PM

I TOTALLY agree. This is my fourth 991 911. First was a base NA 2012.5 cab with a stick. Nice, but it was grey (wished it was red). Then came the red 2013 Carrera S cab with the PDK. Great car, and it's red! But missed having a manual. Then I bought a new black 2017 Carrera S coupe with a stick. Another great car but black killed my sole and so did having a roof. Now I'm on my keeper. It's a Base 2018 red cab with a stick. The trifecta of perfection. Red, cab, stick. This is the honey of them all. PLENTY of power. Perfect balance. Amazing handling and grip. You'd never know it was a turbo if you couldn't hear that slight turbo spool up. My 2018 M3 is a turbo as well and it's very apparent in the throttle. Not so much the Carrera.

I'm super happy with this car. It's the simplest one yet and maybe that why I like it the most.

alec