Sponsored by:

GTS Middle Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Wanna trade? take my black piece I take the light?
I was told that taking out my strip would throw a code but if not, I'd be game.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to update this thread. I finally had a chance to install the middle tail light. The harness worked great. No codes and no other issues.

The following 5 users liked this post by krburrell:
ACowabunga (12-13-2019), AdamSanta85 (11-19-2019), fluguy (03-13-2021), Frank996 (01-03-2022), r00t61 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:36 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by krburrell
Just to update this thread. I finally had a chance to install the middle tail light. The harness worked great. No codes and no other issues.

looks great krburrel! where about in LA are you and would you mind giving a helping hand with this mod?
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

funny I prefer it without the middle tail light..looks more traditional 911 to me..
Guards_Red_991 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:03 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks so much for following up on your progress. Excited to see that this is possible. I went from a C4S to GTS and really miss the light bar and want to add to my 2018. Would it be possible for you to provide a simple hand drawn wiring diagram that shows how and where the new harness plugs into the new light and the plate lights? Did you happen to take a photo of the finished harness' in the car before you re-installed the bumper? Maybe it will be obvious once I get the bumper off, but I am having trouble envisioning where the connections are made.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:45 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Thanks so much for following up on your progress. Excited to see that this is possible. I went from a C4S to GTS and really miss the light bar and want to add to my 2018. Would it be possible for you to provide a simple hand drawn wiring diagram that shows how and where the new harness plugs into the new light and the plate lights? Did you happen to take a photo of the finished harness' in the car before you re-installed the bumper? Maybe it will be obvious once I get the bumper off, but I am having trouble envisioning where the connections are made.
I think I figured it out. The new harness literally inserts in between one of the existing license plate bulb connections and then plugs into the center light harness. Brilliant! I searched on the German E-bay site and was not able to find the LED light harness you showed with the correct connectors on both ends. It would be helpful if you could post the link to the parts you purchased on ebay. Thanks
Old 11-13-2019, 04:31 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

I think I figured it out. The new harness literally inserts in between one of the existing license plate bulb connections and then plugs into the center light harness. Brilliant! I searched on the German E-bay site and was not able to find the LED light harness you showed with the correct connectors on both ends. It would be helpful if you could post the link to the parts you purchased on ebay. Thanks
The ebay item number was 322521880746 and the seller was car-style-discount . Title was VW Golf MK4 4 MK5 5 Passat B6 New Beetle Eos LED License Number Plate Light . Google the auction number if you want to see the listing and pics. I am not sure if the seller is still selling this item but you could find something similar.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM
hexproject
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/VW-Golf-MK4-...-/322521880746

found the link.. but SOLD out.. will have to make one or find another source...

911BOSS.. let me know if you find another solution..
Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Confirmed that the German version of the LED license plate light kit with both correct connectors is sold out and two vendors told me the supplier has no plans to start making them again. However I was able to find both connector ends with pigtails, Plate light and the Plate Light feed, on the same vendors site as the middle light connector mentioned above. You can just build your own harness without buying the resistors and LED lights. Here are the links to the 3 connectors required to make a "plug and play" harness.

1. Female License Plate 2 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

2. Male License Plate 2 pin feed connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

3. Middle Light 3 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...i-neutral.html

There maybe other vendors out there that can supply these, but this vendor seems to be an OEM supplier to VW / Audi as you will see from some of the other versions of these connectors that they will only sell to manufacturers.

Last edited by 911BOSS; 12-02-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Confirmed that the German version of the LED license plate light kit with both correct connectors is sold out and two vendors told me the supplier has no plans to start making them again. However I was able to find both connector ends with pigtails, Plate light and the Plate Light feed, on the same vendors site as the middle light connector mentioned above. You can just build your own harness without buying the resistors and LED lights. Here are the links to the 3 connectors required to make a "plug and play" harness.

1. Female License Plate 2 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

2. Male License Plate 2 pin feed connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

3. Middle Light 3 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...i-neutral.html

There maybe other vendors out there that can supply these, but this vendor seems to be an OEM supplier to VW / Audi as you will see from some of the other versions of these connectors that they will only sell to manufacturers.
Sorry guys I've been out of town. 911BOSS, it looks like you found all the right connectors to make the harness. When I first started this project I chose the connector with the resistors because I did not know if I would need them to prevent some sort of errors or codes. In the end they were not needed and as you pointed out the connectors are all it takes.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:21 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts

Love the work here OP, excellent retrofit and great follow-up by 911BOSS to getting these components going.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:49 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys I've been out of town. 911BOSS, it looks like you found all the right connectors to make the harness. When I first started this project I chose the connector with the resistors because I did not know if I would need them to prevent some sort of errors or codes. In the end they were not needed and as you pointed out the connectors are all it takes.
Keith, thanks for jumping back in. One advantage of your approach is that the LED kit provides a 4 wire pigtail off the male connector. With the individual parts I will need to split both leads into 2 to accomplish the same thing. Once I receive all the parts and make the harness I will post photos.

I did have a follow up question. My 2018 GTS 2 came with the stock "smoke" tinted tail lights and it looks like your car is also configured that way. I assume the new middle light you ordered has the same tint as the upper part of your existing tail lights and matches? Does Porsche make two versions, one with smoke tint and one without, for C4s that do not have smoke tint tail lights? When I search the application for the part number on the dealers website it indicates it "fits" both, but the parts catalog may not be able to differentiate between the two versions of tail lights.

Thanks for any insight on this.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:17 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Keith, thanks for jumping back in. One advantage of your approach is that the LED kit provides a 4 wire pigtail off the male connector. With the individual parts I will need to split both leads into 2 to accomplish the same thing. Once I receive all the parts and make the harness I will post photos.

I did have a follow up question. My 2018 GTS 2 came with the stock "smoke" tinted tail lights and it looks like your car is also configured that way. I assume the new middle light you ordered has the same tint as the upper part of your existing tail lights and matches? Does Porsche make two versions, one with smoke tint and one without, for C4s that do not have smoke tint tail lights? When I search the application for the part number on the dealers website it indicates it "fits" both, but the parts catalog may not be able to differentiate between the two versions of tail lights.

Thanks for any insight on this.
There is only one version of the middle light. I have the "smoke" tinted tail lights as well. I think only the middle and lower portions of the tail lights are tinted.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

That's awesome guys for figuring this out. As I'm searching for a GTS, this is great to know this can be a viable option as I also have thought about adding the light bar to the back of the car. Will follow this and make sure I can do this when time is right.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

There is only one version of the middle light. I have the "smoke" tinted tail lights as well. I think only the middle and lower portions of the tail lights are tinted.
Correct - the very top Red portion is not tinted.
911BOSS (11-19-2019)

Quick Reply: GTS Middle Light Install