Sponsored by:

Upgrade 991.2 Door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrade 991.2 Door speakers?

So I have been reading as much as I can find on upgrading the Bose system in my 991.2 GTS.
Couple great threads on here for sure.

It appears the Musicar tweeters are a forum-approved tweeter upgrade that is relatively easy and has an significant improvement.

Well, I want to take the door panels off, apply dynamat, and upgrade the door woofer and midrange as well.

I want to see what people would recommend for a quick and painless upgrade?
NOT currently looking to install expensive new amps, or run a lot of new wiring. Cutting wire and soldering doesnt scare me. But the cleaner the install, the bette.r

I've seen on other forums people talked about upgrading to the Burmester speakers. Available from Suncoast.

Has anyone out there upgraded to the Burmester woofer and midrange? Thoughts?
Are there any other options to consider?
I hear there are VW connectors to make the install easier?

Anyone who has made these door speaker upgrades care to shed any tips?

Thanks all

Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
So I have been reading as much as I can find on upgrading the Bose system in my 991.2 GTS.

It appears the Musicar tweeters are a forum-approved tweeter upgrade that is relatively easy and has an significant improvement.

Well, I want to take the door panels off, apply dynamat, and upgrade the door woofer and midrange as well.

NOT currently looking to install expensive new amps, or run a lot of new wiring. Cutting wire and soldering doesnt scare me. But the cleaner the install, the bette.r

I've seen on other forums people talked about upgrading to the Burmester speakers. Available from Suncoast.

Thanks all

Reach out to Nick at Musicar for the best solution. He is experienced and has the best advice and recommendations.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:03 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I upgraded mine with Focal's. If you have access to a router it's not to difficult to copy the outline of the original speakers to make new mounting plates.
Installed the 2 way crossovers for the mids and new Focal tweets under the passenger seat. Running active signals from a Mosconi DSP to the crossover and midbass in the door from Focal amps. Also treated the doors with soundskin, very worthwhile.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:19 PM
nolan12
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What did you use for the foam around the speaker?

Originally Posted by bikerlee
I upgraded mine with Focal's. If you have access to a router it's not to difficult to copy the outline of the original speakers to make new mounting plates.
Installed the 2 way crossovers for the mids and new Focal tweets under the passenger seat. Running active signals from a Mosconi DSP to the crossover and midbass in the door from Focal amps. Also treated the doors with soundskin, very worthwhile.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. Looks very clean.

Curious how you did the wiring with all of that.
Did you use any prefabricated wiring harnesses from anywhere? or just cut and solder the wires individually?

I haven't yet taken the door panel off, so I am not too familiar with the wiring yet.

I went ahead and ordered the Burmester mid and woofer for the doors.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:38 AM
JCC991S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Focal K2 Power 4inch for speakers. I guess I understand if you don't want to go crazy with amps or wiring, but if you replace speakers, don't get factory stuff. And possibly consider getting a DSP, won't lie does not meet your not much wiring requirement, but will make a huge difference, I went with JL Audio TwK, FiX. I'll stop there but if you have any other questions feel free to PM me, good luck.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nolan12
What did you use for the foam around the speaker?
these....
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Awesome. Looks very clean.

Curious how you did the wiring with all of that.
Did you use any prefabricated wiring harnesses from anywhere? or just cut and solder the wires individually?

I haven't yet taken the door panel off, so I am not too familiar with the wiring yet.

I went ahead and ordered the Burmester mid and woofer for the doors.
I cut the speaker connectors off at the door, left enough to solder them back on when the time comes to return to stock. Above each fuse block either side are pin connectors for the door speakers, I tapped into each connector so I wouldn't have to run new wires into the doors.
Put the crossovers in the conveniently left space under the passenger seat where the stock amp would go.
The two Focal amps and DSP are in the frunk.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Why? What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you think slapping on new speakers will make it sound better? Are you a pro that knows about how to implement car audio? I think you should take it to a good shop...you're heading down the wrong path.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:02 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks all
Sorry I'm late to this, and it sounds like you've already ordered the Burmester Mid/Woofer. I've never done that particular swap, but I wouldn't expect a major difference from those two components. In fact, the Bose drivers actually spec out better than the Burmester's. If I had to make an educated guess, the extra power and DSP processing of the Burmester system is where most of the difference is realized. Curious to know what your results are, regardless!

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Looks like it sounds pretty good. Love to see the proper adapters and foam rings taken into consideration. How's your low-end extension without oversized woofers or a dedicated subwoofer?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Looks like it sounds pretty good. Love to see the proper adapters and foam rings taken into consideration. How's your low-end extension without oversized woofers or a dedicated subwoofer?
Pretty good with these in the back powered by an FPX 1.1000... Thanks Nick, sent some time playing with an RTA, got it sounding pretty good to my ear but sure it could use a professional tune up.

Quick Reply: Upgrade 991.2 Door speakers?